Football. Sweden then (probably) France, a Waterloo double?

BigFatCoward

9 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Ben White at RB - what happened to Tomiyasu?

Tomi has been injured most of preseason. Just came back into training.

2 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Martinelli probably should have scored there. Good start from Arsenal though.

He absolutely should have scored there. Jesus was sick.

Arsenal do look good, which I’d normally be okay with as they’re more likeable than Chelsea or United but since they’re persisting with playing Partey that’s gone out the window a bit. Are Arsenal the baddies now? 

2 hours ago, baxus said:

If that number is correct for Barcelona, I'd say it's a total of all remaining wages that need to be paid under current contracts which cover several more years, some even longer. If it's per season, then it's obvious that Barcelona will be run into the ground very soon.

Barcelona is a bit of an outlier. I have two sets of numbers though, one had the top clubs in a range of $200m-$250m and the other was $350m-$500m. My novice guess is the former is active contracts and the latter is like you said plus however they factor in transfer fees (which I have no experience working with). 

Also, I'm not sure it's true that numbers in Europe are insane compared to Northern American professional leagues. I mean, pretty much every single NBA team has at least one player on 30+ million per year, while quite a few have at least one player at 40-50 million per year. There's only a handful of players in European football (in any other sport athletes make significantly less) that make anywhere near that, and those are currently being exposed as not worth it.

That's all relatively new though. The Heat big 3 which is still less than a decade old combined cost less than $70m, and that included the best player, a top 5 player and a top 10 player. The contracts in the NBA and NFL just recently exploded due to new TV deals and the NFL is going to balloon a lot in the next decade. And if you're going to compare it to the NBA keep in mind the rosters are much smaller and the secondary players make shit compared to secondary footballers in Europe. 

1 hour ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

Difference is competition: if you're an American football player, you'll either play in the NFL or nowhere.  If you're a football one, you can play anywhere in the world, with many clubs bankrolled by petro-states or oligarchs, and competing with each other for the biggest stars.

Idk, the four biggest leagues in Europe combined bring in less revenue than the NFL and I would assume given the volume of teams that players outside of the top tier ones values should be diluted. 

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

Idk, the four biggest leagues in Europe combined bring in less revenue than the NFL and I would assume given the volume of teams that players outside of the top tier ones values should be diluted. 

The NFL isn’t competitive though. Basically the entire point of the way it’s set up is to allow the owners to be really, really shit and still make money.

50 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

The real test will be the last 20 minutes or so after Xhaka gets sent off.

I certainly expected something along those lines, but they surprised me with how well they saw out the game. 

1 hour ago, ljkeane said:

The NFL isn’t competitive though. Basically the entire point of the way it’s set up is to allow the owners to be really, really shit and still make money.

Can you expand on what you mean because I could read this a few different ways? And the general point is true of all the major American sports.

Also, I didn’t see anyone post this. Seems like a problem:

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Can you expand on what you mean because I could read this a few different ways? And the general point is true of all the major American sports.

Primarily I mean it's not competitive as a labour market. In fact it's extremely uncompetitive with the salary cap, rookie standard contracts, the draft and the various restrictions on movement. All of which which is designed to keep costs down for the owners. On top of that it's not competitive in other ways which allows the owners to get away with the inefficiency that comes with the shitty labour market. There's no relegation so there's no real negative consequences for being shit, in fact with the way the draft is structured that are actually perverse incentives which reward it.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Besides the top four leagues, there's competition from France (mostly PSG), some clubs from Russia were pretty loaded before this year, not that long ago Chinese clubs were paying big bucks and attracting top talent, and it's not like some of the smaller or at least not as wealthy markets like Turkey, Mexico or Brazil pay poorly, even if there's a big difference to the top European clubs (also, players could decide, and some do, they'd rather be a top player beloved by millions in a club like Fenerhbaçe, América or my own Flamengo than to be a bench warmer in some top European club or a starter in a team like, say, Burnley or Cagliari, fighting relegation every year for small crowds, even if the pay is better).

Also, unlike the NFL, where the sole purpose of the club is to make money for the owner, there are in football, specially more recently, clubs like Man City, Chelsea or PSG in which financial profit is not really the main objective of the club, if it even is at all.

To a smaller extent, that even applies to some clubs like Barcelona, Real Madrid or Athletic Bilbao, which are intertwined with political ones, as well as the fact that a huge part (if not most) of the clubs worldwide are associations rather than businesses with owners.

Archived