Football. Sweden then (probably) France, a Waterloo double?

BigFatCoward

I dunno. I would have signed up to that sentiment a couple of years ago. But a Glaswegian tinpot club considered themselves as too big to fail (go bankrupt), too. They were proven wrong, spectacularly. Even some arguments sound somewhat familiar.

La Liga needs Barca and the Classico for commercial reasons. 

SPL needs the Old Firm for commercial reasons. This is what Scottish fitba is all about afterall.

Scottish clubs and fans disagreed with that sentiment however.

Ofc, Barca is the much bigger club, with the bigger history and all. But if they arrogantly sign up to the deluded believe, that somehow, somebody would just save them, when things go teats up, they might be in a for a surprise.

tbf to Rabiot.

I don't think he is a bad player per se. His signing would be a gamble on United's end. They need some strengthening of their midfield, quite desperately. Rabiot has shown at PSG that he can be a fairly good player. His Italian adventure didn't work out. Could be him, could have been the club/squad that he didn't fit in. Maybe he will turn things around at United. Chances are, he won't. But he is clearly not Arnie levels of WTF in terms of possible signings. 

3 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

I dunno. I would have signed up to that sentiment a couple of years ago. But a Glaswegian tinpot club considered themselves as too big to fail (go bankrupt), too. They were proven wrong, spectacularly. Even some arguments sound somewhat familiar.

La Liga needs Barca and the Classico for commercial reasons. 

SPL needs the Old Firm for commercial reasons. This is what Scottish fitba is all about afterall.

Scottish clubs and fans disagreed with that sentiment however.

Ofc, Barca is the much bigger club, with the bigger history and all. But if they arrogantly sign up to the deluded believe, that somehow, somebody would just save them, when things go teats up, they might be in a for a surprise.

Barça is much bigger, the Spanish government pulled stuff like this before, and there's a political advantage for them to do it for the reasons I stated.

4 hours ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

Barça is much bigger, the Spanish government pulled stuff like this before, and there's a political advantage for them to do it for the reasons I stated.

I admitted that they are much bigger. However, don't underestimate the anger of the other clubs/fans. Barca is right now not creating a whole lotta good will. The other athletic article that was linked the other day (btw. their paywall is a joke and can easily bypassed) dropped a few hints at how they're acting. With Rapinha, they tried to talk Leeds into delaying the transfer (and payments) into January, because they were sorta worried about their ability to register their new toys. Clubs that sell players to them, are inserting penalty fees, if one of the payments arrives late. Laporta is throwing a tantrum and is sending official correspondence with La Liga in Catalan. 

People outside Catalonia vote too. So if there's a big public backlash against supporting a failed club with delusions of grandheur, who couldn't keep his finances in order... Again, that now defunct Glaswegian club, also went with that arrogant We're a big club, you can't let us go under attitude.  I know, if I were supporting Bilbao or Sevilla, I'd be like: screw them. Real might be more sympathetic to keep the classico going. But a not so small part of their fan scene might also rather enjoy watching Barca go bust.

Spanish football will survive, with or without Barcelona. 

11 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Going bust within five years. 

I know I'm a noob here, but I've been writing in these parts about the totally weird state of affairs at Barcelona for a bit now. Nothing about it for several years makes any sense. It's going to have to fold unless a very rich buyer comes in and just eats all the debt.

I've said before, there is absolutely no way politically Barca can be allowed to go bust. 'Mes que un club' is actually true, for them. They're a cultural institution, with numerous community projects and sports teams, not to mention over a century of being the internationally visible symbol of Catalan identity. The idea that they might be allowed to just disappear isn't on the cards. Ways will be found.

Those ways might well involve a few humbling years of bumping around mid-table in La Liga with no CL football while they pay off debts, but ways will be found.

15 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Going bust within five years. 

Bayern representatives insisting on getting all the money for Lewandowski up front because "Barca won't exist in three years" definitely doesn't seem silly now.

4 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Spanish football will survive, with or without Barcelona. 

Spanish football has taken a massive hit when Cronaldo and Messi left. If one of the two clubs that are keeping their league relevant were to go bust, I'm not sure La Liga would recover. Football would still be played in Spain of course, but who would care other than locals?

Archived