Avatar: not that one, nor that one. The original one, yes!

fionwe1987

So, I figured this should be it's own thing, and not in the Netflix show thread.

https://www.polygon.com/sdcc/23275015/animated-avatar-airbender-movie-aang

So Aang and the Gaang as "young adults" is the focus of the first movie.

Wondering if the comics will remain canon. But it would make sense for the movie to be a few years from the end of the show, rather than start soon after. My bet is we see the establishment of Republic City.

Its very interesting that they are doing the sequel, definitely seeing that. But there is no timetable yet for when it comes out. 2023, since its animated and they tend not to have quite as long a leadtime?

Pretty cool that they're doing a sequel. I thought the first film was going to be about Kyoshi, since they released a series of pictures earlier in the year and the picture of Kyoshi had 2024 at the bottom of it. I guess this film is coming out in 2023.

On 7/26/2022 at 10:24 PM, fionwe1987 said:

So, I figured this should be it's own thing, and not in the Netflix show thread.

https://www.polygon.com/sdcc/23275015/animated-avatar-airbender-movie-aang

So Aang and the Gaang as "young adults" is the focus of the first movie.

Wondering if the comics will remain canon. But it would make sense for the movie to be a few years from the end of the show, rather than start soon after. My bet is we see the establishment of Republic City.

They've said the graphic novels will remain canon, and they may adapt them directly later on, but not at this point.

It does make me wonder if it's going to be confusing with Zuko's mother showing up and Azula semi-rehabilitated with little info on what happened in the meantime.

On 7/28/2022 at 4:17 PM, Werthead said:

They've said the graphic novels will remain canon, and they may adapt them directly later on, but not at this point.

It does make me wonder if it's going to be confusing with Zuko's mother showing up and Azula semi-rehabilitated with little info on what happened in the meantime.

Considering how great those comics are, and that they were written by the creators, there is little chance that they would want to discard them.

Jumping ahead into adult territory would mean to go with a changed status quo - like we also get with Korra's era - and folks who want to know how they got there would have to read the comics or wait until/if they are adapted.

Not to mention that more must have happened in the meantime that has been covered by the comics so far.

Archived