What will be the long-term consequences of the Unsullied being freed and allowed to have their own names ?

Hello everyone. As all of you know, all of the Unsullied soldiers and trainees in Astapor were freed by Daenerys Targaryen during her journey in the city in A Storm of Swords, with her giving her the right and even encouraging them to have their own names and identities.

But this freedom and new life cannot be without consequences on the mentality, discipline and capacity to fight of the Unsullied who were raised and trained through hell to completely discard any sense of identity or freedom, and to only be totally obedient and disciplined soldiers only living to obey their masters.

While the full consequences of this haven't been seen, or at least not fully developped, during Meereen arc as this change happened just before the taking of Meereen, it's impossible that there won't be consequences visible during the War against the Slaver cities during TWOW and when Daenerys and her followers will finally be in Westeros, once there's been enough time for the Unsullied to gotten used to their freedom and to not see themselves as just part of a phalanx.

What changes do you expect to occur once this happens ? Do you think that it may impact the Unsullied's efficacity and discipline on the battlefield ? Could we see Unsullied beggining to doubt or even disobey certain orders or to be more protective of their own lives ?

Probably depression, drink and suicide. "Here's your life back, but you can't really go live it. The things you did to become who you are were all atrocities. You're free now, except that you're the conerstone of my army so expect platitudes but get to effin work." I expect there would be a lot of cognitive dissonance experienced among the Unsullied (now sullied?), they would be open to PTSD which I think the old system protected them from and the existential ennui which we combat by raising children would potentially overwhelm the more sensitive among them. Their lives had purpose, but now they have to define their own purpose and their job remains, however it's defined.  I don't know, maybe post Dany some survivors would return to Slavers Bay and keep up the work paying back the slavers who made them who they are and possibly preventing the creation of more, but I think this is the best that they could hope for.

Most of them will become soldiers. Or more precisely, they'll remain soldiers.

They'll join a sellsword company, or the army of some lord or king. Then their lives will remain about the same as before.  Someone will tell them what to do, where to go, when to eat, and who to fight. The only differences will be that they get paid, and they have freedom to quit and do something else.  Their reputation, skills, and discipline will make them desirable additions to any army.

I don't think they will have a lot of emotional trauma or mental problems from the transition. That sort of thing has been driven out of them by training, torture, and drugs.

14 hours ago, Terrorthatflapsinthenight9 said:

Hello everyone. As all of you know, all of the Unsullied soldiers and trainees in Astapor were freed by Daenerys Targaryen during her journey in the city in A Storm of Swords, with her giving her the right and even encouraging them to have their own names and identities.

She gave them the freedom to choose. 

But this freedom and new life cannot be without consequences on the mentality, discipline and capacity to fight of the Unsullied who were raised and trained through hell to completely discard any sense of identity or freedom, and to only be totally obedient and disciplined soldiers only living to obey their masters.

They obeyed the slave masters because of fear.  They obey Daenerys because they love her and are loyal to her. 

You must know that even while with the slavers there were some who disobeyed.  Those were culled.  They now follow Daenerys by choice and so less likely to disobey.

While the full consequences of this haven't been seen, or at least not fully developped, during Meereen arc as this change happened just before the taking of Meereen, it's impossible that there won't be consequences visible during the War against the Slaver cities during TWOW and when Daenerys and her followers will finally be in Westeros, once there's been enough time for the Unsullied to gotten used to their freedom and to not see themselves as just part of a phalanx.

Those who want to leave can.  The ones who stay will be committed to serving.  The consequences will be positive.  Because they obey out of their affection and respect for their queen.

What changes do you expect to occur once this happens ? Do you think that it may impact the Unsullied's efficacity and discipline on the battlefield ? Could we see Unsullied beggining to doubt or even disobey certain orders or to be more protective of their own lives ?

I expect the consequences of freedom will make them better soldiers. They will fight for love.  They will fight to stop the worst kind of slavery there is, skinchanging and wightification.

Archived