Did Littlefinger organize the attack by Jaime on Ned Stark

georgievgg

I recently rewatched the series and I can't help but feel like every move that Petyr does is designed to stir the animosity between Starks and Lannisters. Without mentioning his previous moves, Petyr learns that Ned is making serious preparations to leave the capital. Shortly afterwards, he comes knocking with an offer that he knows would entice Eddard. After Eddard complies, he's attacked by Jaime. It's mostly the same in the books.

Jaime has no spies, only Cersei does - and I hardly think she would hatch such plan, given how she hates Tyrion. For me it's obvious that Littlefinger set the entire ordeal up, by informing and motivating Jaime to attack. In hindsight, it serves his plans perfectly. Is that the reason nobody talks about the issue (too obvious), or am I missing something?

• 1 month later...

No, you're not missing something, it is not much talked about.

But, yes Littlefinger was quite insistent on Ned going to check that out and since finding out the brothel at that very instant stretches credulity, he obviously came up with it at that moment. It doesn't offer anything into the investigation; it was a last ditch effort to set up an ambush. You should notice how Jaime let Littlefinger go. 

After Ned left King's Landing he would have certainly consulted with Stannis, meaning that not only he would have meant Stannis would have had a credible person to back his accusation, but also the North, Riverlands and potentially the Vale, solidly behind him. That is pretty much Littlefinger's worst case scenario. 

I don't know, he seems quite rattled by it, offers to go get help for Ned etc. But it could just be him pretending. Could Jaime have found out without spies? Could he have asked around? Could it just be a coincidence? Jaime until he lost his hand was quite headstrong and rash, so if he happened to run into Ned it's possible he would just take the opportunity to get payback for Tyrion's imprisonment. I think it could go either way.

Jaime didn't happen upon Ned with twenty men in tow by chance. And wasn't it convenient that Littlefinger had just found out about the brothel when Ned was about to leave?

They went there the same night Ned had resigned as Hand and Littlefinger knew Chataya personally. 

Archived