Reznak mo Reznak

Moiraine Sedai

The Harpy starts their deadly terrorism and the Shavepate counseled punishing hostages. Reznak disagreed.  I am not going to label him a Harpy just yet.  But his advise is suspicious. Who is more trustworthy?  I think Skahaz is.  The Shavepate risked his family’s fortunes when he supported Daenerys and the Anti-Slavery campaign.  

13 minutes ago, Moiraine Sedai said:

The Harpy starts their deadly terrorism and the Shavepate counseled punishing hostages. Reznak disagreed.  I am not going to label him a Harpy just yet.  But his advise is suspicious. Who is more trustworthy?  I think Skahaz is.  The Shavepate risked his family’s fortunes when he supported Daenerys and the Anti-Slavery campaign.  

Agreed. And not just that, but Reznak - from both what little I remember and description on the wiki - seems to be a slimy, bootlicking type of character. Shavepate seemed honest. So it is indeed likely that Reznak is a Harpy, and even if he isn't, he is definitely allied with them.

Reznak also seems allied to Hizdahr, who had been basically on the same page as the Harpies.

If there is a Harpy, she is the Green Grace, not one of the guys.

Reznak is clearly representing the interests of the old nobility at Dany's court ... he seems to eventually ally completely with 'the Harpy faction' but originally, before the dragons were imprisoned and before Dany agreed to marry Hizdahr he was genuinely (and rightfully) concerned that Dany leaving would lead to his death at the hands of the old regime. Originally they did not like collaborators like him and Skahaz.

After Dany's disappearance Reznak is clearly the most influential player in Hizdahr's government, the guy pulling his strings. But the anti-Dany movement as such is run by the Green Grace.

Reznak’s gods are fickle. They have no problem totturing slaves for amusement and would balk at hurting hostages. Belief in gods are based on faith though. It’s not because of consistency and reason. Reznak take on faith that children of the harpy deserve compassion while slaves do not. Harpy or not, that toad should be grateful to have escaped punishment. 

Reznak is a very suspicious character. He is a candidate for being 'the perfumed seneschal'. I have no doubt he would betray Daenerys if he stood to gain anything from it. I feel like he only pretended to be loyal to save his own skin. All his advice benefits the Sons of the Harpy.

It is clear that Daenerys needs a new strategy to deal with the harpy as so far she has been unable to unmask them. Reznak could be informing the harpy exactly what's going on at court so they can respond to whatever Daenerys is trying to do. Reznak's advice is contradictory and unhelpful to the anti-slavery cause.

Nonsense! Skahaz risks nothing by shaving his head and doing his best to crawl up Dany's shapely butt. Which happens to be exactly what Reznak does too (or would do, if he wasn't bald already). 

Reznak was wealthier than Skahaz in the old Meereen. I am not sure Skahaz was even a Great Master - we don't see any of his relatives among the hostages, or the Great Masters Dany executed. His pyramid is modest and not in the old area of town near the Great Pyramid. More like the residence of a sadistic slave-trader made good than of a man born into such wealth and privilege that he needed no trade at all, and could instead devote himself to the rule of the slave city. 

Neither man is wonderful, but Reznak doesn't want to torture girls in front of their fathers, and is clearly interested in protecting his class of people (the Great Master families) from harm.

Skahaz delights in threatening Reznak's constituency, and never misses an opportunity to shake them down for money, but I don't see him doing anything to improve the lives of any former slave from Meereen, Yunkaii, or Astapor. 

In fact, when Reznak's protege, Hizdhar attempts to stop the Sons of the Harpy murdering Dany's people in the night, Skahaz is doing everything in his power to stop him and turn Dany against him.

It seems to me that Reznak and the Green Grace want Dany to become the wife of the new King of Meereen, who they will rule through. Through her husband's persuasion, Dany will learn to accept the legitamacy of slaving by degrees. She will make peace with Yunkai and let the masters re-establish Astapoor, and retain chattle rights over their slaves in Meereen, and she will permit men to sell themselves into slavery if they wish, and little by little become the Harpy. And she will kill her dragons, then become a slave to her husband.

Skahaz wants to control the police of Meereen, not to make life better for its populace, but to strike terror in its heart. Any reasonably sucessful wine trader or confectioner can expect their daughters to be taken and tortured, if they are not paying off Skahaz. Maybe even if they are. 

Skahaz is the one the freed slaves have most reason to fear. Anyone can shave their pate (Well, except chrome domes like Reznak). Once the hair is gone, it takes more than a quick glance to tell the former nobleman from the former slave, but easy to know who the boss of these people is. Likewise the Brazen Beasts are a mix of shavepates and freedmen, hard to distinguish one from the other in uniform, but easy to know who controls them. Not Reznak.

Neither man is an ideal advisor for Dany, but both appear to be working for her, after their own fashion. I would say Skahaz is the more dangerous because a/ he is a sadist and b/ Dany trusts him more and c/ he has expanded his influence through the Shavepates and the Brazen Beasts while Reznak's base, the Great Masters, have been leaving Meereen and are losing influence and wealth.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think Reznak is a part of the Sons of the Harpy. But I definitely don't think he is Team Daenerys. He represents the portion of Old Meereen that isn't too hung up on slavery but has other unscrupulous desires and agendas that Dany has half-knowingly inserted herself into.

Skahaz is very militant (very much so like Nat Turner or the more militant branches of the Black Panthers in the '70s) but I don't think he is a Cleon. I think he is loyal and true for the most part. In the end, Skahaz was right most of the time.

The Harpy is a female.  Reznak is just loyal to the old ways even though he adapted to the winds of change.  Skahaz was already opposing the Harpy before the arrival of the Liberation Force.  I would rank Skahaz higher on the loyalty list.  Meereen is a large city by the standards of Westeros.  There had to have been a few, a very small number I grant you, who would have wanted to end some of the city's evil ways and stop the Harpy.  Skahaz and the Kandaqs are probably such.  

Archived