Watched, Watch, Watching : Save the Wiseguys fundraiser

TheLastWolf

I'm not explaining the title. Jinxy me, though not so much as a certain member from the Cricket threads (in a coma right now).

So last one past 400 p/20 pgs

Eragon is even shittier than The Last Airbender and The Golden Compass. Poor good books, suffering barfworthy adaptations.

And Mr. @Veltigar, add Need for Speed in my movies not gonna be rewatched afraid of shitty new opinion, good then list

I've been watching Tokyo Vice, only 2 episodes in but it's amazing how much your brain just knows when something is good and hooks you, like when this is on, vs something I have to struggle to stay interested in like Stranger Things.

I knew immediately I was going to like this though, even if Ansel Elgort is someone I can't stand watching normally, someone who seems to have been promoted well above his paygrade in movies. But here he kind of fits, that nerdy weird face of his seems to make sense in this world as an outsider. Plus seeing Japanese society is always interesting.

One thing to note, during the summer it is difficult to watch tv during the day as my room is very bright with no way to make it REALLY dark. I noticed I can change my tv settings to Dynamic, which actually seems to make it easier to watch. This is because it ramps up the contrast and does something to the frame rate. 

However, it also makes Tokyo Vice look like a daytime soap. There is something about the washed out colours, overloaded whites and lighting and overly realistic frame blur that makes it look totally amateur and low budget. 

Which made me think about just how many people are watching movies on substandard tv settings. Out of the box settings are usually bullshit and the amount of times I've seen people watch things with dynamic frame blur on without noticing is quite high. If you come away from a movie and think it looks like crap, I wonder how much is actually just your setup at home. 
There should be public information warnings to people to get them to use the right settings.

On 7/31/2022 at 8:43 PM, Heartofice said:

I knew immediately I was going to like this though, even if Ansel Elgort is someone I can't stand watching normally, someone who seems to have been promoted well above his paygrade in movies. But here he kind of fits, that nerdy weird face of his seems to make sense in this world as an outsider. Plus seeing Japanese society is always interesting.

*sniff* I thought Baby Driver banished all that stuff.

6 minutes ago, Raja said:

Mark Ruffalo's soulful eyes would make any man's head turn.

I was especially struck by that in Begin again which I watched a month or so ago...haunting man! I wonder if he had to make an effort to be cold in any of his movies.

I watched the first three episodes of Harley Quinn's third season. The first was a bit disappointing, but they return to form in episode 2 and 3 (especially when they have some great Bane moments). I wouldn't have guessed this before, but this show really is an ensemble piece so it works well when it is really immersed in the Gotham setting. Overall I'd say it hasn't hit its stride yet, but we shall soon see whether that can be turned around.

On 7/31/2022 at 12:10 PM, TheLastWolf said:

Eragon is even shittier than The Last Airbender and The Golden Compass. Poor good books, suffering barfworthy adaptations.

And Mr. @Veltigar, add Need for Speed in my movies not gonna be rewatched afraid of shitty new opinion, good then list

Need for Speed has always been terrible though :P

Also Eragon (the book) sucks :leaving:

3 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

I was especially struck by that in Begin again which I watched a month or so ago...haunting man! I wonder if he had to make an effort to be cold in any of his movies.

That's a great film, one of my favorites of the last couple of years. John Carney might be a one-trick pony, but the trick is a triple split heavy corkscrew summersault.

17 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

Roger ebert was too harsh on The Usual Suspects. The plot wasn't that convoluted as many other movies and the performances(credits to casting), editing n screenplay, camerawork were all in perfect sync. 

This is perhaps the prime example of old spoilers still having a bad effect. I didn't like this at all, but I also feel like I could not give the film a fair shake, as I had the plot twist spoiled to me more than once over the year. Watching it spoiled was a sleep-inducing affair.

I felt a bit the same, although the contemporary casting is outrageously good but the story didn't really grab me. But the contemporary story really kicks in as it goes along.

@Werthead That's promising. I find myself prioritizing other stuff above Yellowjackets (Harley Quinn, BCS, etc.) so I hope I'll have the same reaction as you later on and be able to power through

5 hours ago, Veltigar said:

Need for Speed has always been terrible though :P

Hey, I was 10, I'll avail myelf some concession :D.

Also Eragon (the book) sucks :leaving:

Ok I was still a naïve preteen who thought that JK Rowling was the pinnacle of literary evolution, who had just discovered J Archer and S Sheldon and all. I'll take a re-read some time soon, gut says I'll agree with you.

That's a great film, one of my favorites of the last couple of years. John Carney might be a one-trick pony, but the trick is a triple split heavy corkscrew summersault.

Wish we had a lot more of them these days, it's big names or none now

This is perhaps the prime example of old spoilers still having a bad effect. I didn't like this at all, but I also feel like I could not give the film a fair shake, as I had the plot twist spoiled to me more than once over the year. Watching it spoiled was a sleep-inducing affair.

Spoiler

I figured it was Verbal who was Soze when he shot that jeweller, irrational Kevin Spacey related deja vu, he has that scheming look after all.

Condolences for the spoiled moment

With For All Mankind having gone completely off the rails, or rather on the rails to Soap Town, I'm left with only one current show that I like (OMITB). Two, if the Jan 6 Hearings count, but they're on hiatus. Desperately trying to find something else to watch. Eagerly awaiting the return of OFMD, but also dreading the sophomore season effect.

13 hours ago, Veltigar said:

I couldn't imagine watching that movie knowing the secret, wouldn't have the same impact. My wife and I loved that movie. It would be like seeing The sixth Sense and knowing the secret, it's just not the same.

7 hours ago, Mindwalker said:

With For All Mankind having gone completely off the rails, or rather on the rails to Soap Town, I'm left with only one current show that I like (OMITB). Two, if the Jan 6 Hearings count, but they're on hiatus. Desperately trying to find something else to watch. Eagerly awaiting the return of OFMD, but also dreading the sophomore season effect.

My work addled brain can make neither head nor tail of these letters :lol:

I've finished the Boys Season 3 and the Expanse Season 6(?) recently. Both excellent as expected, the finale for the Boys wasn't quite what I expected and a bit of a lack lustre conclusion to the rest of the season but the show remains great and I'll certainly be back for season 4.

The Expanse I loved, slow start especially considering it was a condensed and final season with a lot to cram in, but the final 4 episodes had me hooked and I wish we were getting more.

Next...hm. May give Westworld Season 4 a try, I was planning to hold off until the season ended but I'm turning up short on things I want to watch. I've also avoided any spoilers so far and don't want to ruin that.

48 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

My work addled brain can make neither head nor tail of these letters :lol:

The first is Only Murders in the Building which is well worth watching if you haven't seen it yet and have Disney+. I'm also struggling with identifying what OFMD stands for, there are too many TV shows to keep track of.

Edit: I think I've got it now - Our Flag Means Death?

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Next...hm. May give Westworld Season 4 a try, I was planning to hold off until the season ended but I'm turning up short on things I want to watch. I've also avoided any spoilers so far and don't want to ruin that.

I'm at a similar point, next binge will either be Westworld or Peaky Blinders.  Although TBH I have been seeing a lot of GOT things lately due to the new series coming out and man I may have to do a selective rewatch.

1 hour ago, williamjm said:

The first is Only Murders in the Building which is well worth watching if you haven't seen it yet and have Disney+. I'm also struggling with identifying what OFMD stands for, there are too many TV shows to keep track of.

Edit: I think I've got it now - Our Flag Means Death?

Yes, correct on both. Sorry for the confusion!

The Expanse is definitely on my list, but I'm looking for something lighter atm, I think.

I'm five episodes into For All Mankind, and loving it so far. Without spoilers, is the season 2 finale "The Grey" (ie the one nominated for a Hugo) up to the same standard?

Archived