Watched, Watch, Watching : Save the Wiseguys fundraiser

TheLastWolf

Bullet Train was fun. Now, there are lots of flaws & the central theme goes a little far, but I enjoyed it.

Not a big fan of the Michael Shannon performance though, which is not something I say often.

If any of you all in the UK who go to movie theaters haven't seen the Jimmy Cliif The Harder They Come, you simply must!  It's one of my all time top ten films.  It has an all time great soundtrack. The recording process scenes in the studio in which "The Harder They Come, The Harder They Fall' are transformative.

Evidently it's getting another theatrical release -- 50 years AFTER the first one -- in the UK, if I understand the article correctly, August 5th.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2022/aug/03/the-harder-they-come-review-jimmy-cliff-falls-hard-in-visceral-revenge-western

Plus you UKers get the splendid, entertaining, funny and smart Irma Vep on Sky Atlantic/Now, now.

8 hours ago, 3CityApache said:

Have you watched Hacks? There's never enough credit to Jean Smart brilliance.

Oh yes, and I liked it quite a lot. But, while it can be funny, I think it's actually, at its heart, quite sad and almost depressing.

Going off @Ran's suggestion, I watched Stray Dog, one of the few Kurosawa movies I hadn't seen. I don't know why I held off on watching this particular one. It was excellent. 

And this has put me in the mood for more Japanese cinema. I believe I will watch the Musashi trilogy next. I usually would read the book first, but I have quite a few others that I need to get through first. Also, I suspect this will be one of the rare cases where it is better to watch the films and then read the book.

I also plan on watching Drive My Car. I've only read Norwegian Wood by Murakami. It was an ok book. But I look forward to this movie.

On 8/1/2022 at 1:59 AM, TheLastWolf said:

Zodiac mindfucked me, I could sympathize with Graysmith but not with costing his family. Who in their right mind would ignore an it girl like Sevigny...

On 8/1/2022 at 8:17 AM, TheLastWolf said:

Roger ebert was too harsh on The Usual Suspects. The plot wasn't that convoluted as many other movies and the performances(credits to casting), editing n screenplay, camerawork were all in perfect sync. 

You only just saw these movies? Good for you. 

Creepy associations aside, The Usual Suspects is still a classic film. Written by Christopher McQuarrie of recent M.I. fame. I like to think various cast and crew only lost their minds after this film was made. 

I totally went down the rabbit hole on the Zodiac killer after seeing that movie. I would advise against it. I can see why Graysmith went nuts. They cracked the last cipher recently and I went, "Oooooh". Brilliant movie. Surprisingly, not a box office success.

-

I saw The Bad Guys. It sort of nails it. What a fun movie. A bit unremarkable visually (the bar is really high these days), but great animation and visuals. Great voice cast. Humor and sight gags that always land. Even a fart gag that's sort of clever I guess. It borrows a bit from other animated films I've seen but that's OK. I was never bored and was smiling or laughing most of the way through. Recommend. 

20 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

You only just saw these movies? Good for you. 

Born on the wrong side of the 2000, so trying a couple great movies a day method to catch up on ya'll.

21 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Surprisingly, not a box office success.

Mainstream audiences would've been bored compared to something like Se7en or F****C*** that Fincher could dish out.

31 minutes ago, TheLastWolf said:

Born on the wrong side of the 2000, so trying a couple great movies a day method to catch up on ya'll.

Mainstream audiences would've been bored compared to something like Se7en or F****C*** that Fincher could dish out.

Fight Club wasn't really a box office success either and it severely divided critics at the time. I only saw it when it hit HBO back in the day. I seriously misjudged what that movie was about when I saw the trailers, which should have emphasized soap making and not bare knuckle boxing. Now it's used as a gibe in online discourse to say liking this movie indicates you're some kind of thick necked dude bro or something. I think that severely mischaracterizes a really good film. But I hear tell the people are sometimes wrong on the inter webs so whatevs. 

Fincher's Panic Room is good too. It's probably not his best work but I always thought it was underrated. The Game is a great movie that you can only see once.  

9 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Now it's used as a gibe in online discourse to say liking this movie indicates you're some kind of thick necked dude bro or something.

I feel like at this point liking it as a well-made movie is fine. Anyone over the age of 20 who still bases their life choices around it probably doesn't have any friends left anyway.

I always enjoyed that American Beauty and Fight Club came out in the same year and are about basically the same thing despite being such different movies. 

Fight club was one of a bunch of movies around the time that were basically telling us the same thing. I remember also Office Space and the Matrix off the top of my head.

Basically we are all trapped in our comfortable capitalist lifestyles and we are discovering there is no meaning to life and we need more!

That all seems so quaint these days, I wish our biggest issue was that we didn’t do anything but buy IKEA furniture.

At the time though Fight Club blew my mind, it did tap in to something a lot of people were feeling, even if it seems a lot of people totally misunderstood the message and thought Tyler Durdens solutions were some sort of life philosophy to follow ( the movie explicitly shows us how bad that is, but a lot of people miss that)

20 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Fight club was one of a bunch of movies around the time that were basically telling us the same thing. I remember also Office Space and the Matrix off the top of my head.

Basically we are all trapped in our comfortable capitalist lifestyles and we are discovering there is no meaning to life and we need more!

That all seems so quaint these days, I wish our biggest issue was that we didn’t do anything but buy IKEA furniture.

At the time though Fight Club blew my mind, it did tap in to something a lot of people were feeling, even if it seems a lot of people totally misunderstood the message and thought Tyler Durdens solutions were some sort of life philosophy to follow ( the movie explicitly shows us how bad that is, but a lot of people miss that)

There was a quote I read about "interpreting any depiction as endorsement" if one's cultural diet is nothing but reassurance something something. I think it was from a twitter account that has since gone dormant, but it was absolutely on point.

There has been a lot of analyses written about themes and interpretations of that movie. 

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

The real enemy all along was sleep deprivation. If you fall asleep before the climax, no wonder you misinterpret the movie ;) 

5 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

Just watched all the eps of the "The Bear" on Hulu. Really excellent first season. It's about this young chef trying to reform a really screwed up restaurant in Chicago. The actor was one of the older kids on Shameless.

I do wonder what they'll do in a second season, but great to see how it seems to be getting a lot of love here.

3 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Fight Club wasn't really a box office success either and it severely divided critics at the time

But nobody was bored :devil:

Now it's used as a gibe in online discourse to say liking this movie indicates you're some kind of thick necked dude bro or something. I think that severely mischaracterizes a really good film.

Lot of other films fell victim to that, but the novel by Palahniuk was clearer in its intentions. Maybe I shouldn't mention both are cult classics :ph34r:

Fincher's Panic Room is good too. It's probably not his best work but I always thought it was underrated. The Game is a great movie that you can only see once.  

Foster was better than Kidman could've ever have been (originally cast, opted out due to scheduling conflict or injury or both) but it's been a long time and I've forgotten the rest, except Stewart reminded me of my sister.

5 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Flight Club still has one of the best closing scenes ever with Ed Norton’s final line, and the Pixies Where Is My Mind playing. Such a perfect song choice. 

Trippy af, best when stoned, ahem

How the Indian Action Spectacular ‘RRR’ Became a Smash in America
The unusual decision to rerelease the film a few weeks after its initial run has drawn enthusiastic audiences even though it’s available on Netflix.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/03/movies/rrr-ss-rajamouli.html   [paywalled]

.... The Telugu-language Indian action spectacular “RRR,” or “Rise, Roar, Revolt,” was already a worldwide box office winner when it was released in March, grossing $65 million during its opening weekend. But it took an unusual second release for the period epic from the director S.S. Rajamouli to become a word-of-mouth smash across the United States. Now in its 10th week, it’s the rare Indian hit to catch on with American viewers outside the Indian diaspora, thanks to the unusual decision to relaunch the film weeks after it had already played across the country on 1,200 screens. ....

....  A Hindi-language version made for the Bollywood market has been available to Netflix subscribers since May and was among the service’s Top 10 most watched titles in America for nine consecutive weeks. But even with simultaneous streaming, the movie has now grossed $14 million at the American box office and played in 175 additional theaters across 34 states. By contrast, the Telugu-language crime drama “Pushpa: The Rise — Part 1,” the highest-earning Indian movie of last year, made only $1.32 million during its American release. ....

.... The president of the distributor Variance Films, Dylan Marchetti, estimates that most of the “RRR” ticket buyers had never before seen a production from Tollywood, the film industry that caters to audiences in Andhra Pradesh and Telangana, where Telugu is the main language.

The story of how “RRR” broke through in the U.S. involves a rare relaunch — sold to moviegoers as an “encoRRRe” — by Variance in conjunction with an independent consultant, Josh Hurtado, and Sarigama Cinemas, the movie’s original distributor. ....

For another subject regarding the fantastic and those of us interested in gorgeous, imaginative graphic depiction, here is this also in the NYTimes:

Stepping Into the Expansive Worlds of Black Imagination
The curator of “In the Black Fantastic” at London’s Hayward Gallery describes it as a “feel-good show about death,” which also looks beyond Afrofuturism.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/04/arts/design/in-the-black-fantastic-london.html

And

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/10/15/t-magazine/nick-cave-artist.html?

And

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/01/arts/design/hew-locke-the-procession-tate-britain.html?

The Orville's third season ended well, a relief after its second and third episodes were awful, but it came back from that and delivered a one-two punch of a colossal SF mega-epic (complete with outrageously good space battles that are probably the best on the small-screen for many years) in its penultimate episode and then a surprisingly restrained, accomplished light comedy episode (which was actually funny) for the finale.

I've got a feeling that might be it. There's a reason they didn't leave the series on a huge cliffhanger like they did in Season 2, and the episode felt like it could serve as a series finale (especially bringing back characters we haven't seen for ages). The huge delays to shooting and airing Season 3 didn't do it any favours, and it sounds like MacFarlane is doing a lot of other projects (including the nobody-asked-for-this Ted TV show). Maybe he could just leave? Brannon Braga is the effective showrunner anyway and Mercer is easily the weakest link in the cast. Promote him off the show, have Kelly take over as captain and carry on.

14 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Flight Club still has one of the best closing scenes ever with Ed Norton’s final line, and the Pixies Where Is My Mind playing. Such a perfect song choice. 

It actually has two of the best closing scenes ever. The Chinese version is amazing in its own way.

3 hours ago, RumHam said:

It actually has two of the best closing scenes ever. The Chinese version is amazing in its own way.

That fucking ROCKS! I would have had no objection to the film ending that way (without the BS caption).

And that score! -chef's kiss-

2 hours ago, dbunting said:

I agree, it did just enough in the movie to throw you off what you are sure is real.

It's been a while and I'm considering seeing it again. But I distinctly remember thinking, "Holy shit, I can never watch this ever again."

Archived