Watched, Watch, Watching : Save the Wiseguys fundraiser

TheLastWolf

Apparently I don't watch the same movies as a lot of you do, didn't know his magical character in The Green Mile was common, I must be missing something? Usually the gripe, rightfully, is the white man coming to save the day.

7 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Apparently I don't watch the same movies as a lot of you do, didn't know his magical character in The Green Mile was common, I must be missing something? Usually the gripe, rightfully, is the white man coming to save the day.

It's common enough that there's a wikipedia entry and a Key and Peele sketch mocking it:

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

While both are considered offensive now, and both are demeaning to the "Other", sometimes the difference can be explained, while showing why each are offensive, like this:

The 'magical negro' (or 'gypsy', native female like Pocahontas, or the tribal chief's daughter in Kipling's Kim, or any other Other) comes down to SACRIFICE on the Others' part for the benefit of the White -- usually -- man, while White Savior trope is about SAVING the Other who is too ignorant/weak/stupid to do so Themselves, even when it is with their own weapons, language, customes and knowledge in a territory the White Savior doesn't even know.

2 hours ago, polishgenius said:

It's common enough that there's a wikipedia entry and a Key and Peele sketch mocking it:

Like I said, not watching the same stuff, never seen that before, or Key and Peele at all.  

Sometimes I hate this site for ruining my "innocence or ignorant" views on stuff I watch!

3 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Like I said, not watching the same stuff, never seen that before, or Key and Peele at all.  

Sometimes I hate this site for ruining my "innocence or ignorant" views on stuff I watch!

Since you’re a big NFL fan, I feel obligated to at least show you these… 

2 hours ago, KingintheNorth4 said:

I finished watching Venom: Let There Be Carnage. I liked the action scenes along with Tom and Woody's performances, though I felt like the film ended right before it could kick it into another gear. 

Funnily enough I just got around to watching the first Venom film tonight, I plan to watch LTBC soon.

Venom is somewhat elevated by a decent performance from Riz Ahmed but it's a pretty bad film. I mean, I kind of had a good time watching it, but it's objectively disposable nonsense.

Also watched Prey, which is a pretty damn good Predator film and refreshingly short. Doesn't waste a frame. I do recommend it.

1 hour ago, mormont said:

Also watched Prey, which is a pretty damn good Predator film and refreshingly short. Doesn't waste a frame. I do recommend it.

Planning to watch this tonight and both bolded parts make me happy!

Prey is very, very good.

I makes a few of the same mistakes the previous films make but they're relatively minor and there's a lot of good stuff besides.

It ties to the first two films in an interesting way. Count on Prey 2: Prey Harder.

I also recommend.  

ETA: The cinematography is as good as you'll see for a streaming/TV movie. This should have been on a big screen.

1 hour ago, mormont said:

Funnily enough I just got around to watching the first Venom film tonight, I plan to watch LTBC soon.

Venom is somewhat elevated by a decent performance from Riz Ahmed but it's a pretty bad film. I mean, I kind of had a good time watching it, but it's objectively disposable nonsense.

The sequel is worse on every level.

On 7/31/2022 at 10:13 AM, Heartofice said:

One thing to note, during the summer it is difficult to watch tv during the day as my room is very bright with no way to make it REALLY dark. I noticed I can change my tv settings to Dynamic, which actually seems to make it easier to watch. This is because it ramps up the contrast and does something to the frame rate. 

Nice tip, im going to try that.

On 8/3/2022 at 12:58 PM, Zorral said:

If any of you all in the UK who go to movie theaters haven't seen the Jimmy Cliif The Harder They Come, you simply must!  It's one of my all time top ten films.  It has an all time great soundtrack. The recording process scenes in the studio in which "The Harder They Come, The Harder They Fall' are transformative.

Evidently it's getting another theatrical release -- 50 years AFTER the first one -- in the UK, if I understand the article correctly, August 5th.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2022/aug/03/the-harder-they-come-review-jimmy-cliff-falls-hard-in-visceral-revenge-western

Plus you UKers get the splendid, entertaining, funny and smart Irma Vep on Sky Atlantic/Now, now.

From me to you, ask and ya shall discover!!

Eta: Great opening, you guys really need to start driving on the right side of the road though:lmao:

6 hours ago, dbunting said:

You never seen them (Key &Peele) in the Fargo season?

Checked out the first two/four episodes of the new Beavis & Butt-Head series and it's more or less what you'd expect.  The main change in format is that now they comment on internet videos and music videos.  These segments were generally the weakest.

I found the episode where they are paired up with two girls to do an escape room and end up locking themselves in the bathroom to be particularly inspired.

"Um...Butt-Head, it won't open.  We're trapped!"
"Of course we are, dumbass.  That's why they call it an escape room."

Also watched Prey and very much enjoyed it.  Definitely the best Predator movie since the original.  

2 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

So I've discovered and am into the 2nd season of "The Americans" so far.

Enjoying this, had no idea it was an coldwar/espionage theme or I would've been onto this many moons earlier.

Americans is one of the best shows and really sticks the landing imo. Enjoy 

watched a few episodes of severance. Pretty weird but I’m intrigued enough to keep watching. Patricia Arquette has still got it

Archived