Watched, Watch, Watching : Save the Wiseguys fundraiser

TheLastWolf

9 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

It's so bad...

I didn't want to say anything before you started, but yeah. I can't believe Shane Black co-wrote it and directed and it turned out that bad. Are you aware of the alternate endings they wanted?

in scenes that were filmed but not used, portrayed Ellen Ripley in one alternate ending, and an adult Rebecca "Newt" Jorden in a second alternate ending, meant to tie in to the Alien franchise in which those characters first appeared and set up an Alien vs. Predator-focused sequel film, depicted as having travelled back in time as the "Predator Killer".[14][15]

I know continuity in both franchises, especially Alien, is all kinds of fucked, but what the hell.

4 hours ago, RumHam said:

I didn't want to say anything before you started, but yeah. I can't believe Shane Black co-wrote it and directed and it turned out that bad. Are you aware of the alternate endings they wanted?

I know continuity in both franchises, especially Alien, is all kinds of fucked, but what the hell.

Yeah, Ripley was supposed to be in the pod at one point. Cool breathing apparatus that sort of mimics a face hugger. And I'd say late model ford windshield wiper motors serving some life support function somehow.

https://www.avpgalaxy.net/2018/12/29/alternate-ending-of-the-predator-was-filmed-featuring-ripley/

I finished Black Bird. It was solid. Nothing mind-blowing but it had me engaged the whole time. The antagonist of it was so fucking odd. The way he talked/acted was wild. It was based on a real case so I guess he really was like that.

So many new shows out, but I chose to randomly rewatch The Leftovers. Just finished ep 6 of season 1. One of my favorites. Carrie Coon kills it.

Kevin: I live with my daughter so…

Nora: Oh, fuck your daughter.

Kevin: ..

4 hours ago, Teng Ai Hui said:

I noticed that Locke & Key season 3 came out a couple days ago.  Is anybody still watching this series?

I liked S1, but can't have felt that strongly about it since I never watched S2. Same with Rain, another Netflix YA series. 

Cinema Paradiso

Oh this is one film that gets better with every viewing, like really.

Only that I wish...

Spoiler

...Toto bought the theatre back from the city and saved it from demolition.

I know its because life isn't like in the movies, like Alfredo says, but still...

Spoiler

At least I don't rue the failed love, the directors cut wasn't as good as the original though

Gotta kick out a film to make space for this masterpiece in my letterboxd profile. 

PS

The kid was cute, makes me wanna be a child again for the nth time.

On 8/11/2022 at 5:30 PM, SpaceChampion said:

Not true, I love good action because I think The Dark Knight and Fury Road are two of the best movies of that last couple of decades.  It's because they put story above all, and I can remember most of the action in both.  Action without story is simply does not inspire me to rewatch.

Do not, my friends, get addicted to water. It will take hold of you, and you will resent its absence!

On 8/8/2022 at 4:20 PM, Zorral said:

I watched Belfast (2021). Ciarán Hinds perhaps was the best thing. All the actors were top notch at delivering the character they were to deliver: Caitríona Balfe as the nervy (as they might have said in 1969), high stuong, tough minded wife and mom, Judi Dench, the little kid, Buddy, who is the stand-in for Branaugh's eye -- all the kid actors -- they all work very well.  The thorough mix of generations all living together on this one street in Belfast that year, all of them thoroughly familiar with each other and their larger families too -- Buddy's dad  (Jamie Dornan)knows one of the protestant 'organizers' so well, he could tell him to his face, that he wasn't thinking about politics or the people, but was nothing but a jumped up thug looking for his chance to bully and grift, made this film work.

Really loved the black and white, the Van Morrison and the mom.

Really struck a lot of chords as my Protestant family is from a village where the river Termon divides the North from the South. I have a cousin who works in a bank in Belfast.

Our village -  "The bridge over Termon River — which goes straight through High Street — marks the point where North meets South."

They saw these troubles the movie depicted.

Sandman S1 was very enjoyable.  More discussion in the dedicated thread.

The Gray Man and Uncharted are serviceable action movies on Netflix, but seem to have big budgets for big stars just to put out pretty forgettable fare that basically copies other, better films in their genre.

I’ve binged a lot of Shameless by myself over the last couple of months.  My wife doesn’t like it but the frantic soapy story includes a lot of humor and a mix of characters with arcs.  But now that I’m finished S5, I think it may be time to quit very soon, even if it continues through S9.  It feels like the self-sabotage by the characters is being forced now by the writers just to keep them in the same precarious situation and keep amping up the drama.  Diminishing returns ahead, I fear.

1 hour ago, Raja said:

20 minutes into Sandman episode 1 and am I going to make it through the first episode let alone 1 season

I found episode one highly absorbing actually. I'm up to episode five now and there have been a few slow bits.

9 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

The Gray Man and Uncharted are serviceable action movies on Netflix, but seem to have big budgets for big stars just to put out pretty forgettable fare that basically copies other, better films in their genre.

I watched The Gray Man yesterday as well and I agree with your assessment, it felt like the sort of film we've seen many times before. It's not bad for that sort of film but there's not much that really stands out, although I liked Ana de Armas and Chris Evans seemed to be having fun with his role (although the other villains were dull).

9 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Started watching both, didn't get far. Both are movies I've seen before. 

27 minutes ago, williamjm said:

I watched The Gray Man yesterday as well and I agree with your assessment, it felt like the sort of film we've seen many times before. It's not bad for that sort of film but there's not much that really stands out, although I liked Ana de Armas and Chris Evans seemed to be having fun with his role (although the other villains were dull).

Felt like a movie built by an algorithm to me. Which seeing as its on Netflix I guess it is.

Archived