Watched, Watch, Watching : Save the Wiseguys fundraiser

TheLastWolf

I'm surprised there hasn't been a bit more chatter about just how TERRIBLE Netflix's new vampire movie Day Shift is. 

Absolutely atrocious, with some decent fight scenes thrown in (producer is the John Wick stunt coordinator I believe.)

My brother in town visiting does those live MST3K-style movie viewings in Portland venues, and luckily he and his also funny friend were over to screen it. None of us would have been able to finish that steaming pile of shit without each other and our combined derision and mockery.

1 hour ago, Argonath Diver said:

I'm surprised there hasn't been a bit more chatter about just how TERRIBLE Netflix's new vampire movie Day Shift is. 

Absolutely atrocious, with some decent fight scenes thrown in (producer is the John Wick stunt coordinator I believe.)

My brother in town visiting does those live MST3K-style movie viewings in Portland venues, and luckily he and his also funny friend were over to screen it. None of us would have been able to finish that steaming pile of shit without each other and our combined derision and mockery.

Thanks for heads up. I was just thinking about watching it. You've saved me time. :cheers:

When was the last time Netflix produced a good movie? The Irishman comes to mind.

4 hours ago, The Sunland Lord said:

Watched French Connection. Ok movie but filmed with a potato.

Its fucking fantastic.

4 hours ago, The Sunland Lord said:

Is the second movie worth a watch?

Great? Nah, worth a watch? Absolutely, if the characters stuck to you

By all accounts Hustle was really good. And Sea Beast is on my list.

From last year The Harder They Fall is super, and I've heard good things about things like Concrete Cowboy and Hand of God (which as a fan of Sorrentino I should just watch). They make plenty of good and decent films, I don't even know if their hit rate is any less than anyone else- it's just that it's very in your face when they do make a mediocrity or shit film with a big star when in the past those films just got written off as box-office bombs and we didn't go see them. 

11 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

It was fun bad for the few minutes I gave it. :P

9 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

The Bubble was funny as hell. I don't get why critics hated it. 

Because it wasn't funny and sucked ass. Might be why. 

5 hours ago, polishgenius said:

By all accounts Hustle was really good. 

From last year The Harder They Fall is super, 

Hustle is surprisingly good. Any basketball fan will like it at the very least. And The Harder They Fall slaps. 

On my own end, I really don't get why it took me so long to get to Breaking Bad. This shit is awesome. And double that statement for Close Encounters of the Third Kind. It's an excellent movie. 

3 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

So basically we can expect Netflix to produce one good movie per year, maybe a decent/fun one, too, and about a dozen crap movies. This year, afaik, the good movie has shown.

All these streaming services probably need a relatively small but constant stream of headline products to entice people in, the good stuff.

… and then a load of filler to keep your eyes on the screen enough to build a habit of looking at that app to find something to watch.

Then the promise of new ‘good’ content to stop you from cancelling next month.

It’s certainly worked for me and Netflix 

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

It was fun bad for the few minutes I gave it. :P

We agreed that there was not a single line of dialogue in the movie that hit in a legitimately funny way. It's worth fast-forwarding to near the end, when Snoop makes a heroic stand against vamps and completely abandons his "character" to have a West Coast moment. What they thought was going to be an unironically hilarious "I'm sick of these motherfucking snakes!" moment might have been the single stupidest moment of this record-settingly dumb movie.

So I watched Secrets of Dumbledore. 

Honestly, while it's a lot more coherent than the previous film, the script still has some major faults. Rowling has really diminished as a writer: there's some strange narrative choices here, often ones that feel like they miss obvious set-ups or actively go against them. Dumbledore's nonsensical plan is just weird and hard to make any sense of. You can argue that's the point, as the film offers,  but it's not satisfying, and their reasons for doing so feel limp. The politics of the wizard world are weirdly simplistic. "Do what is right, not what's easy" sounds fine for a bunch of 15 year olds to be told. But when it's being said to adults it reads as painfully fortune cookie-tier advice. 

Jude Law is really, really good as Dumbledore though. And I really liked some of the set-pieces, especially the middle one with the big bug monster. Seems the director, cast and crew are doing their best to prop up Rowling's really shoddy scripts. 

8 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Because it wasn't funny and sucked ass. Might be why. 

'Made me laugh. It's not my fault the critics have no sense of humor. And I could watch Karen Gillen read the phone book for two hours. Try to blame me.

What's curious to me is how thin the RT aggregate is. Gillan and Pascal have been part of the biggest franchise films of the last decade. Judd Apatow is well known. This film couldn't get more than 114 RT approved critics to review it? Were they all doing their hair?

Archived