Watched, Watch, Watching : Save the Wiseguys fundraiser

TheLastWolf

I blew through the first season of Ted Lasso in a couple of days. Lovely show -- it's a nice change of pace from the heavy and dark crime dramas I normally follow. Also, I don't think I've ever seen another show where the central theme is... kindness. It's rather uplifting.

Finished Sandman and followed it up with Prey. The latter was a great action film - how nice was it when action films were less than two hours long? I loved all the little callbacks to the original and I thought the 'graphic novel' version of the story at the end was great. 

Now back to Glow Up S2 - I complained about the judges on this show previously but around the second half of season one they sort of morphed into real human people instead of being personas and this made the show much more enjoyable for me. If you like make up or watching people do incredible transformative work with make up then you'll enjoy this.

Rewatchingn Fringe and Person of Interest. At season 4 of the former.

PoI is interesting in that almost every member of the team, or ally, is at some point antagonistic to the team or the mission, knowingly or unknowingly.

Finally going to start the new season of Westworld. I watched about 10 min of Ep 1 last night and felt completely lost even though I watched the "previously on"...was tired so I went to bed after that 10 min. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and watch a few episodes and hope it hooks me.

27 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Finally going to start the new season of Westworld. I watched about 10 min of Ep 1 last night and felt completely lost even though I watched the "previously on"...was tired so I went to bed after that 10 min. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and watch a few episodes and hope it hooks me.

This was the best season since the first. By far. I almost bailed after S3, but I’m glad I stuck with it. 

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

We watched ep 1 of S4.  It was fine.  I felt like I remembered enough of S3. But it was just 'OK' to me,  as in,  'i will watch the rest, but Idk when'. I really liked S3. But I don't feel energised about the show now. 

I thought Prey was fine. The characters were pretty thin, but I guess it's a Predator film after all. I actually think I liked the first half more than the second. I liked the reveal of the Predator killing the bear, becoming visible drenched in its blood. It's easily the best Predator movie since the original - though admittedly the standard isn't high. 

3 minutes ago, Ser Drewy said:

I thought Prey was fine. The characters were pretty thin, but I guess it's a Predator film after all. I actually think I liked the first half more than the second. I liked the reveal of the Predator killing the bear, becoming visible drenched in its blood. It's easily the best Predator movie since the original - though admittedly the standard isn't high. 

Ser Drewy -- yes, especially given the throwbacks (mud, pistol, if it kills..., heat sig and flowers). The mud was a great tease, and withdrawal. The director was messing with the audience, hahaha. It was better than I thought it'd be.

Westworld S4, about 4 episodes in now. Liking it so far.

Spoiler

Kind of an Avengers Dr Strange rip off with Bernard seeing the possible outcomes to use to his advantage. Knew there was alternate timeline shit going on again and had a feeling that the woman Bernard met was Calebs daughter. Once I was sure on the timeline thing and that Meave "died" I figured she was the weapon just a few min before the reveal.  Still haven't wrapped my head around why Delores doesn't remember anything. It was pretty clear her roommate was a plant and now it's obvious since Teddy made his appearance again. Interested to see where this leads.

Liked the music again, Enter Sandman was a good choice and took me a beat to catch it. There was another song during an episode that I just couldn't quite place.

Switching from the RIP thread to here, I think Troy often gets a lot of unfair criticism. Yes some of the writing is questionable, the actresses were underused and/or not given great stuff to work with at times and Bloom was just not very good in it, but I'm here for just about everything else. As @Ran said in the other thread the storming the beach scene is great and overall Pitt did a really solid job portraying Achilles. Bana's Hector was excellent and they played off each other really well with the limited screen time they shared. And for the most part the rest of the cast did the best with what they had. It's far from a perfect film, but overall I think it's one of the more enjoyable sword-and-sandal films of the last 20 years.

I actually don't much like Bana in it. He's never really clicked with me at all as an actor, though. Handsome guy, but they're a dime a dozen in Hollywood, and if you look at the trajectory of his career you can see he's sort of fallen to his natural level. That his second performance -- Chopper -- is far and away his best performance makes it seem more like a fluke, but hey, he got approximately a decade of A-list level heat off of that  before he started showing up in increasingly-independent films and doing voice work for animated films, so more power to him. (That said, he wasn't bad in Star Trek and I liked him well enough in Hanna.)

Archived