Watched, Watch, Watching : Save the Wiseguys fundraiser

TheLastWolf

Prey was really cool! Only thing it really lacked was any kind of humor element. Which is fine, it leaned into the horror a lot better. Liked the various changes they went through and the overall plot was good, and at 100 min it didn't overstay its welcome. 

Also, we need more Sci fi and stuff set in the beautiful places of the US. 

9 hours ago, Zorral said:

Well, by that limited contemporary definition of sword & sandals and action set in ancient and / or mythological periods, Indian films are covering it currently with elan and panache! Plus high production values.  See the trailer for forthcoming in September release, Ponniyin Selvan put up by @The Last Wolf.  Gods! Does that look delicious. 

Moreover those films have pushed me toward learning some real history and geography (films being films, do not depend on them for the 'real' so to speak -- see Gladiator, for a single instance. I've kinda been gorging on recent period films out of the many histories out of India this summer  --  which I usually do with Westerns.

Ahem, its the @TheLastWolf

You are not the first and won't be the last to make this mistake either. Hell even I type it wrong at times while signing in.

And though its based on real history, dramatization fiction inevitable.

12 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

Ahem, its the @TheLastWolf

You are not the first and won't be the last to make this mistake either. Hell even I type it wrong at times while signing in.

And though its based on real history, dramatization fiction inevitable.

@Zorral

Forgot to mention that the director of the upcoming Ponniyin Selvan is one of the only three Indian directors ever whose works have made it into the Time All time top 100. 

Here

38 minutes ago, TheLastWolf said:

@Zorral

Forgot to mention that the director of the upcoming Ponniyin Selvan is one of the only three Indian directors ever whose works have made it into the Time All time top 100. 

Here

Among what interests me about these films, as with so many Latin American films, Mexican ones in particular, from various periods, is they are not traditionally Western in linear narrative, and have from the beginning, been more than willing to mix up genres and modes, too, along the way.  Western directors have gotten more interested in doing/trying this out in more recent times. Then there is the sheer exuberance the viewer often feels -- "We're makin a movie here, yay!" is part of the appeal.  One felt this often with Almodovar too, after Spain left the Franco eras, and moved into the EU era.  This whole joy in color, delight in the consumerist world offerings, drenched in sunshine.

Final episode of Better Call Saul is over. I'm sad, because this was a great show and it had a good ending from a character POV.

23 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

300 anyone?

That's actually my favorite goatman movie! 

6 hours ago, Zorral said:

Among what interests me about these films, as with so many Latin American films, Mexican ones in particular, from various periods, is they are not traditionally Western in linear narrative, and have from the beginning, been more than willing to mix up genres and modes, too, along the way.  Western directors have gotten more interested in doing/trying this out in more recent times. Then there is the sheer exuberance the viewer often feels -- "We're makin a movie here, yay!" is part of the appeal.  One felt this often with Almodovar too, after Spain left the Franco eras, and moved into the EU era.  This whole joy in color, delight in the consumerist world offerings, drenched in sunshine.

Early Innaritu especially 

Not Satyajit Ray though 

On 8/17/2022 at 3:21 PM, Zorral said:

You made me sploosh the water I was drinking all over the place!

You didn't like 300 then?

I personally don't know anyone who doesn't think Troy is a terrible movie while 300 is cinematically and storywise good. Mostly is the wooden acting of Pitt & Orlando bloom that gets highlighted in criticism, also cutting out the Gods machinations and focusing too much on Brad Pitt's face. I liked Troy, because I simply like the Iliad. But I can understand the complaints.

Just adding that I think the original Predator movie was genius. Must have watched that a dozen times. Never gets boring or old.

Ok I have accepted reality ( @Zorral you win), if even he says so...doesn't mean its a good film, just that it has reached Western audiences like no other film from India. BTW, he directed Gangs of Wasseypur (not a duology, released that way like Kill Bill for runtime) and that's like a must watch in the crime genre.

4 hours ago, TormundsWoman said:

You didn't like 300 then?

I personally don't know anyone who doesn't think Troy is a terrible movie while 300 is cinematically and storywise good. Mostly is the wooden acting of Pitt & Orlando bloom that gets highlighted in criticism, also cutting out the Gods machinations and focusing too much on Brad Pitt's face. I liked Troy, because I simply like the Iliad. But I can understand the complaints.

I think that is one of the oddest complaints I have ever heard, it is kind of the whole point of the film that they humanize the Iliad and specifically try to show the war and the figures who inspired Homer to write his epic (even though he was separated from them by many years as well as many layers of poetic license added by earlier poets).

Leaving in the gods would have invalidated the whole angle that the film was going for and invalidate the premise of the entire thing. Not to mention that slapping on more screen time and characters is hardly the thing that Troy needed to become even better than it was.

I'd argue that the most urgent fix Troy needs is recasting Orlando Bloom for someone like Jonathan Rhys Meyers or Michael Fassbender. Now that would have been a film.

6 hours ago, Quijote Light said:

Harley Quinn is such an awesome show. That is all. 

Most underrated show of the moment (with the possible exception of The Bear)

12 hours ago, briantw said:

It's strange how all the reasons that Snyder was so perfect for 300 are the exact same reasons he was so bad for Watchmen. 

"Simple films for simple men." 

Archived