Watched, Watch, Watching : Save the Wiseguys fundraiser

TheLastWolf

Still rewatching The Leftovers. Damn, season 2 has some banger episodes all in a row starting with ep 5.

The Matt focused one showing his new life with Mary, that has a great ending.

Then Nora and Erica’s episode as Carrie Coon and especially Regina King kill it the whole time, which leads to an amazing face-off scene at the end.

Then Kevin finally facing his adversary in episodes 7-8.  With of course a cliffhanger in between those episodes. So good.

Finally got around to watching Alex Garland’s folk horror Men. What a trip. Won’t be for everyone, but I dug it. There was some intensely disturbing parts, and both Jessie Buckley, and Rory Kinnear were great. 2022 has been a pretty good year for horror so far. 

2 hours ago, Nictarion said:

2022 has been a pretty good year for horror so far. 

You say that, but I watched The Black Phone last night.

The Joe Hill sliders were set to 11. Guess I just don't like Joe Hill.

One of the weirdest things was the appearance of Ziggy Sobotka, whose presence did nothing else but strain an already overstretched sense of credulity.

Very poor.

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

You say that, but I watched The Black Phone last night.

The Joe Hill sliders were set to 11. Guess I just don't like Joe Hill.

One of the weirdest things was the appearance of Ziggy Sobotka, whose presence did nothing else but strain an already overstretched sense of credulity.

Very poor.

Fair enough on Ziggy. He did provide a couple humorous scenes in what was an extremely dark movie, but I get the complaint. I personally loved The Black Phone. Ethan Hawke (and Tom Savini’s mask design) really made The Grabber a memorable villain for me. It also had child actors who could actually…act. Which is always nice. 

In addition to Men, and The Black Phone, I also really enjoyed Nope (you can quibble on whether it’s sci-fi or horror, but whatever - it’s Jordan Peele), and Ti West’s X. 

That’s probably already more than most year’s. And it’s only August. I’m definitely looking forward to Pearl next month, too. 

Nope (2022).

One of the most boring and pretentious films I've ever seen. Jordan Peele is going the way of M.Night Shyamalan, except that M.Night actually made 2 or 3 great films before he started losing the plot.

There were two moments that were so stupid I actually laughed out loud, and that was the only few seconds of entertainment the film gave me.

42 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

The Village is a straight up masterpiece. 

Fight me! 

I thought it was well directed and acted, just felt the twist was predictable and underwhelming.

9 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Finally got around to watching Alex Garland’s folk horror Men. What a trip. Won’t be for everyone, but I dug it. There was some intensely disturbing parts, and both Jessie Buckley, and Rory Kinnear were great. 2022 has been a pretty good year for horror so far. 

We tend to have very similar tastes, so I'm going to give this one a go in a bit.

50 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

The Village is a straight up masterpiece. 

Fight me! 

Trash ending. 

38 minutes ago, Darryk said:

I thought it was well directed and acted, just felt the twist was predictable and underwhelming.

I loved this movie, and the twist. I totally thought there was a monster. 

*takes another bong hit*

13 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Spoiler

One thing I missed is that she was probably pregnant. Did you think that?

I thought her trauma was from just being with a toxic asshole, and all of that crap being passed down generation over generation(the wild birthing scene). Which makes sense to a point, but Harper being pregnant and having that fear of having a son(being like him), or daughter to be victimized like she was makes more sense to me.

11 hours ago, Spockydog said:

I wonder, are he and Hawke buddies? He was also "deputy so and so" in uuuh....Sinister where Hawke was the lead. Then he was one of the leads in the sequel.  I've always enjoyed him as an actor.

1 hour ago, Ramsay B. said:
  Reveal hidden contents

One thing I missed is that she was probably pregnant. Did you think that?

I thought her trauma was from just being with a toxic asshole, and all of that crap being passed down generation over generation(the wild birthing scene). Which makes sense to a point, but Harper being pregnant and having that fear of having a son(being like him), or daughter to be victimized like she was makes more sense to me.

Spoiler

I can’t say I ever connected it to Harper being pregnant herself, no. It’s definitely a movie you have to soak in, and read up on different interpretations though. As soon as it was over I went down a rabbit hole and started looking up all kinds of crazy stuff, like about the Green Man, and Sheela na gigs.

This article (with some links to different interviews with Garland) was pretty helpful.

https://collider.com/men-ending-explained-alex-garland-jessie-buckley-rory-kinnear/

36 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I wonder, are he and Hawke buddies? He was also "deputy so and so" in uuuh....Sinister where Hawke was the lead. Then he was one of the leads in the sequel.  I've always enjoyed him as an actor.

The first one was from the same director as The Black Phone.

Archived