Watched, Watch, Watching : Save the Wiseguys fundraiser

TheLastWolf

Men is a truly weird film. I need to watch it again because parts of it were a bit confusing, but overall I'd recommend it if you like what A24 is about.

Also, damn HBO is coming out with a lot of interesting content. The ads following HoD should calm some of the worries with their corporate takeover. 

4 hours ago, Spockydog said:

That Baz Luhrmann Elvis biopic is stunning.

I want to see it, but is Tom Hanks as bad as everyone says?

7 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I want to see it, but is Tom Hanks as bad as everyone says?

Don't listen to those people, whoever they are.

It's a Great Fucking Movie, with excellent performances all round.

I started a re-watch of Stargate SG-1, though I doubt I'll finish it any time soon since Netflix has it and I intend to cancel it soon. Last night I finished season 1.

This is a show I greatly enjoyed as a teen and still has a special place in my heart. Though it's not without its issues and the show does a lot of hand wavy stuff regarding space exploration that adult me is less inclined to accept. And I probably wouldn't if a show by a different name were to be made today following this formula. 

Season 1 is arguably its worst season which is not really a surprise for a 90s SF show. It has a solid start and ending, but in between in struggles a lot, especially in the first half. At 21 episodes, in mostly episodic format, it manages to start finding its footing only about halfway with good episodes like Thor's Hammer and The Torment of Tantalus that do more to expand this universe that the previous 8-9 episodes combined. The character chemistry starts clicking better around this time, too. Cor-Ai may have the best story of the season, presenting a great moral dilemma that I'm sure resonated with those who served in the military. OTOH, episodes like Emancipation (3rd episode) are clunky and stupid and I hate it.

Another good thing about this season is that it wisely didn't rely heavily on CGI, likely due to the budget, because it certainly wouldn't have aged well, so for the most part the season is still perfectly watchable.

Now call me shocked when I started my re-watch that the two-part pilot has a full frontal female nudity scene. I never knew this but then I remembered the show initially aired on Showtime. I only started watching later. What's odd is that even when I did a re-watch some years later on Amazon, it didn't have this version. Netflix are pervs. I guess Showtime wanted the writers to have more adult moments, but that is the only case of frontal nudity in the whole season and I'm pretty sure the entire show, so it feels odd.

1 hour ago, Corvinus85 said:

I started a re-watch of Stargate SG-1, though I doubt I'll finish it any time soon since Netflix has it and I intend to cancel it soon. Last night I finished season 1.

This is a show I greatly enjoyed as a teen and still has a special place in my heart. Though it's not without its issues and the show does a lot of hand wavy stuff regarding space exploration that adult me is less inclined to accept. And I probably wouldn't if a show by a different name were to be made today following this formula. 

Season 1 is arguably its worst season which is not really a surprise for a 90s SF show. It has a solid start and ending, but in between in struggles a lot, especially in the first half. At 21 episodes, in mostly episodic format, it manages to start finding its footing only about halfway with good episodes like Thor's Hammer and The Torment of Tantalus that do more to expand this universe that the previous 8-9 episodes combined. The character chemistry starts clicking better around this time, too. Cor-Ai may have the best story of the season, presenting a great moral dilemma that I'm sure resonated with those who served in the military. OTOH, episodes like Emancipation (3rd episode) are clunky and stupid and I hate it.

Another good thing about this season is that it wisely didn't rely heavily on CGI, likely due to the budget, because it certainly wouldn't have aged well, so for the most part the season is still perfectly watchable.

Now call me shocked when I started my re-watch that the two-part pilot has a full frontal female nudity scene. I never knew this but then I remembered the show initially aired on Showtime. I only started watching later. What's odd is that even when I did a re-watch some years later on Amazon, it didn't have this version. Netflix are pervs. I guess Showtime wanted the writers to have more adult moments, but that is the only case of frontal nudity in the whole season and I'm pretty sure the entire show, so it feels odd.

Showtime wanted the nudity but the writers etc didn’t , as it’s basically a pre-watershed show. I assume after the pilot, the network saw sense or it moved.

either Amazon edited it or they showed the specific cut the producers made to make it more in-line with subsequent episodes.What’s interesting about the show

Spoiler

in general is the that humans are barely an annoyance to the Goa’uld, and it’s essentially a race between the US Airforce to develop intersteller alliances and tech like spaceships before the Goa’uld put aside their conflict with each other and stomp Earth. A few try but are thwarted.

Also interesting how Earth’s more powerful allies (Tokra, Asgard, thwt sdvanced human planet whonget wiped out) are dying races on the way out (tho a year or so after the Asgard kill themselves, the Atlantis team find rogue Asgard who cured the condition). Bit like Tolkein/babylon 5 where humanity become the heirs to fading elder powers.

Inho the show shoukd have focused on exploring the world from the first film (dont make it a desert planet), gradually revealing it. Going to lots of planets is fine except they all look like a Canadian forest.

57 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Reveal hidden contents

in general is the that humans are barely an annoyance to the Goa’uld, and it’s essentially a race between the US Airforce to develop intersteller alliances and tech like spaceships before the Goa’uld put aside their conflict with each other and stomp Earth. A few try but are thwarted.

Also interesting how Earth’s more powerful allies (Tokra, Asgard, thwt sdvanced human planet whonget wiped out) are dying races on the way out (tho a year or so after the Asgard kill themselves, the Atlantis team find rogue Asgard who cured the condition). Bit like Tolkein/babylon 5 where humanity become the heirs to fading elder powers.

Inho the show shoukd have focused on exploring the world from the first film (dont make it a desert planet), gradually revealing it. Going to lots of planets is fine except they all look like a Canadian forest.

There was a guy who wrote a trilogy of novels as a direct sequel to the movie. I only read the first one years ago. It remained faithful to the movie lore and only expanded the universe a bit

Spoiler

The other gods are just humans whose lives were extended by Ra's technology. Hathor is the main antagonist in the book. Most of the story is on the desert planet but there is no additional exploration of it. Earth humans start a mining operation of the special material and they exploit the locals but the main characters oppose it.

The gate is bigger because the US military sends tanks and unassembled helicopters through it.

Watched The House of the Dragon last night and have to say that for a pilot it was pretty good. Plenty of references, should this really be in spoilers considering the site we are on..?

Spoiler

Pretty big conversation about A song of Ice and Fire, the dream and the long night.  Not sure if I like the actor playing Daemon or not, another ep or two and I'll know for sure. 

Probably should add

Spoiler

The show went a new lead into why Aegon the Conqueror came to do it, he had the dream. He saw the end of the world in the coming of winter.  The writers said GRRM added this bit himself.

9 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Watched The House of the Dragon last night and have to say that for a pilot it was pretty good. Plenty of references, should this really be in spoilers considering the site we are on..?

Reveal hidden contents

Pretty big conversation about A song of Ice and Fire, the dream and the long night.  Not sure if I like the actor playing Daemon or not, another ep or two and I'll know for sure. 

Matt Smith is honestly the main reason I'm considering watching it. Superb actor. Well, him and Considine of course.

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

I'm only discussing it here. No way am I going into the bear pit with all the lunatics.

But the bear pit is where you feel alive! You can even watch The Bear from the bear pit or watch Brad Pitt bare his pits in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

I enjoyed it. Finally a decent post-Doctor Who role for Smudger. Thought he was great, but I hope they give us something more than this seemingly one-dimensionally evil motherfucker.

Wasn't convinced by Considine. He's a great actor, but the performance just feels off. My toes were curling when he told his daughter about the Super Secret Prophecy.

It all felt very familiar. Very much like EP1 of GoT.

I wonder if, in addition to the Targaryan squabbling, there is going to be some Big Bad Overarching Threat. 

I liked the first episode of House of the Dragon. Everything certainly felt a lot more grandiose than season 1 of GoT. The Red Keep, the Iron Throne, the tournament, etc. I know part of that is it takes place at the height of the Targaryen dynasty, but it’s also clearly a massive difference in budget.

Robert’s tourney had like 20 people at it. :lol:

21 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

I liked the first episode of House of the Dragon. Everything certainly felt a lot more grandiose than season 1 of GoT. The Red Keep, the Iron Throne, the tournament, etc. I know part of that is it takes place at the height of the Targaryen dynasty, but it’s also clearly a massive difference in budget.

Robert’s tourney had like 20 people at it. :lol:

That's because he didn't have the money for a big purse because he was busy drinking and whoring his way through life!

Archived