Watched, Watch, Watching : Save the Wiseguys fundraiser

TheLastWolf

13 minutes ago, dbunting said:

That's because he didn't have the money for a big purse because he was busy drinking and whoring his way through life!

The stadium was pretty comical by comparison. It's as if Robert's jousting club got relegated from the top level of the sport.

Sign me up as another one who has seen House of the Dragon yesterday and will only discuss it here. I would love to jump in the looney bin, but alas, I quit GoT after season 5 and I intend to steer clear from any spoilers from the main saga which are probably unavoidable down there :( 

I thought it was a gripping pilot. Better than the original series by far and one of the most engaging ones I have seen in quite a time. I grew to fiercely hate the original series from season 3 onwards, but this brought to mind all the good things they were able to do in those first seasons, only with increased focus and a much bigger budget.

There were some comments during my watch party on the VFX for the dragons, but I thought everything looked great. I was particularly impressed by the tourney. Some helmets might have been ridiculous, but overall it just felt exciting in the way jousts should feel. 

10 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

I thought Matt Smith was great as Daemon. Wasn’t sold on his look from the trailers and pics, but he nailed the role judging from just the first episode.

Same for me. Let us hope he can keep it up, because it's a difficult role I think.

10 hours ago, dbunting said:

Watched The House of the Dragon last night and have to say that for a pilot it was pretty good. Plenty of references, should this really be in spoilers considering the site we are on..?

Reveal hidden contents

Pretty big conversation about A song of Ice and Fire, the dream and the long night.  Not sure if I like the actor playing Daemon or not, another ep or two and I'll know for sure. 

Probably should add

Reveal hidden contents

The show went a new lead into why Aegon the Conqueror came to do it, he had the dream. He saw the end of the world in the coming of winter.  The writers said GRRM added this bit himself.

Yes, that way I can avoid clicking on it :p 

Why. Why does House of Dragons exist?

Several thoughts occurred to me when watching the first episode: 

1. Is no one else bored of narratives of succession?

2, It's weird to watch this show and see a world which thinks tall drafty castles with no trees about are to be envied. Seriously? 

3. ASOIAF references to the white-walkers? WHY? Given how badly D&D borked the whole concept in the original show, this only works if it's some kind of meta-narrative easter egg to book readers to reassure them that GRRM won't frell it up like the show. 

Just now, IlyaP said:

3. ASOIAF reference and the white-walkers? WHY? Given how badly D&D borked the whole concept in the original show, this only works if it's some kind of meta-narrative easter egg to book readers to reassure them that GRRM won't frell it up like the show. 

They were doing so well up until that point. That was sooooooooo cringe.

28 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Right and I don’t think saying it’s been Star Warsified is really fair after watching one episode but each their own

Yeah that’s an absurd statement to make one episode into the only spinoff they’ve made so far. 

And that episode was far better than any of the Star Wars prequels or sequels. 

1 hour ago, IlyaP said:

2, It's weird to watch this show and see a world which thinks tall drafty castles with no trees about are to be envied. Seriously? 

3. ASOIAF references to the white-walkers? WHY? Given how badly D&D borked the whole concept in the original show, this only works if it's some kind of meta-narrative easter egg to book readers to reassure them that GRRM won't frell it up like the show. 

As there is a hugely popular series called "Succession" I guess the answer to 1. should be really clear :P

Not sure what you want to say with 2., but on 3. I think you are on the money. It didn't bother me though. At first I was afraid of spoilers, but if it's just a nod like that I thought it was pretty well handled.

1 hour ago, IlyaP said:

It's been Star Warsified. 

Is it being run by Disney? No? Than it hasn't been "Star Warsified".

If HBO can actually produce quality Westeros content, and tell good stories in the Westeros universe, than why the fuck not? 

1 hour ago, briantw said:

Yeah that’s an absurd statement to make one episode into the only spinoff they’ve made so far. 

And that episode was far better than any of the Star Wars prequels or sequels. 

Brian, Brian, Brian...

I would like to lodge a formal complaint against Brian for badmouthing Star Wars prequels. Also one for looking down on the sequels!

I also want lodge a complaint against the two who liked his comment! I thought better of you twos Mark Antony and Veltigar. Persecuting Jar Jar Binks and Sebulba... Where is the love for Star Wars, the funnest franchise ever?!

Shame Shame Shame, Where is the damn bell?!

I feel much better now I expressed my full dissent. We can now comment on the Hot D properly. :D

2 hours ago, IlyaP said:

1. No ways, I love them. whether Medieval or modern (Succession my favourite show on TV at the moment)

2. It's the Middle Ages, sheesh

3. Maybe the series is setting up the ending GRRM has planned for the books instead of D+D's borked ending.

1 hour ago, IlyaP said:

It's been Star Warsified. 

The writing and production value are still miles ahead of Star Wars stuff, plus unlike the Star Wars stuff it doesn't have to be kiddie-friendly.

4 hours ago, IlyaP said:

Why? Because people like it, or was this a rhetorical question? Ask GRRM why he made the book this was based on, or is that book ok and you just like complaining about tv?

1. Clearly not based on the success of Succession on HBO

2. Big deal, yeah there should be more trees and other foliage

3. Because GRRM referenced it in a meeting with the show runners and they decided to include it; to show that Aegon didn't conquer the seven kingdoms just for conquest, they  feel it adds depth to his motivations.

@Veltigar my spoiler only referenced the ASOIAF prophecy which the above poster shared in the open. I just didn't want to share Ep1 stuff openly the day after it aired, that's kinda rude IMO.

I was extremely cynical of Hot D when it was announced. My opinion was dramatically shifted when I read the source material. And that first episode was really compelling.

I generally hate franchises because they tend to be monochromatic, repackaged, derivative dross. Franchises tend to prey on this peculiar, Pavlovian reflex people have to seek out familiar material irrespective of whether it's actually good. Which is great for studios since the most challenging part of any movie or show is producing a script that isn't a complete catastrophe. With franchises, all studios have to do is throw money at the show for some flashy CGI and it will draw the crowd. The crowd may complain, but they'll watch for the most part.

Rings of Power is almost assuredly going to be an example of this.

But sometimes good material does miraculously emerge from franchises, and when this happens it really deserves some recognition, and shouldn't just by default be lumped with other franchise material.

Better Call Saul is a notable example of this category. And so far Hot D is showing itself to be another example. Great debut episode.

4 hours ago, KalVsWade said:

It's a cool period in Targ history with a bunch of dragons!

My damaged vision initially read that as "Tang history with  bunch of dragons!" Which I had to ponder for a bit, as an interesting perspective of seventh century C.E. dragons, as Buddhism enters China and it looks west and out along the Silk Road.

26 minutes ago, Zorral said:

My damaged vision initially read that as "Tang history with  bunch of dragons!" Which I had to ponder for a bit, as an interesting perspective of seventh century C.E. dragons, as Buddhism enters China and it looks west and out along the Silk Road.

But did that dynasty have an interesting issue with the line of succession!<>?

Archived