Watched, Watch, Watching : Save the Wiseguys fundraiser

TheLastWolf

23 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Quite a few reports saying Gaiman doesn't think Sandman is going to get renewed. 

I think they're just misreporting a tweet in which he said pretty much what he said in that interview- that it doing really well is still not a guarantee. He used the phrase 'might not be enough' and I think people read that as pessimism.  

Abbott Elementary, all about trying to teach in a dreadfully underfunded and understaffed Philadelphia school, from the teachers' point of view.  Yet, it is both sweet and sharp, funny and lively.  Highly recommended, particularly for anyone dealing with educational institutions. Available now on HBO

This week is the anniversary of the Katrina destruction of New Orleans, so, also on HBO, is this documentary about those who experienced this themselves as small children and adolescents, from their perspective now: 

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/24/movies/katrina-babies-review.html

‘Katrina Babies’ Review: Hearing From Survivors
Edward Buckles Jr.’s intimate documentary sheds light on the experiences of Black children when Hurricane Katrina struck New Orleans.

Was about to type "I wish Abbott Elementary was available in the UK", Google'd it, and found it was on Disney which I have a subscription to at the moment. So I'll have to check it out before the end of the month. 

Finished Ms. Marvel last night, and found it one of the stronger Marvel TV shows. Partition was handled well - I always feel kind of uncomfortable when huge and terrible RL events are used as background to light entertainment, but here it didn't feel either disrespectful or worthy. I think because the writing for Kamala's family was so strong, they carried the show and were believable enough that it was more a case of thinking: of course, they would have their own partition story. Music and acting were great. I'd love to see Yusuf Khan (Mohan Kapur) defeat some bad guys while in costume as the Hulk in the sequel season. Hear me, Marvel. 

Also finished Only Murders in the Building. Didn't like it quite as much as the first season, but still enjoyed it very much. I think I'll be watching this show happily for as long as the writers have ideas for it, and good lines for the script. A recent favourite, nodding to the running joke of Gut MilkTM  (13% alcohol):

I'm Cinda Canning. Thanks again to our sponsor Gut Milk Lite. It's got all of the flavour of Gut Milk, and none of the unexplained crunch. 

5 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

My favorite podcast started with a cold open today asking what’s the most random sequel to a film and I have a nomination I’m not sure many people have seen: Duck You Sucker!, also titled A Fistful of Dynamite and Once Upon a Time… the Revolution. For the longest time I had no idea Once Upon a Time in the West and Once Upon a Time in America were part of a trilogy.

There is a contender in the works right now. Sam and Victors day off? They are the two valets who are seen in Ferris Buellers day off taking the Ferrari for a joy ride. The whole movie is going to be centered on them driving it for the day. 

Watched Event Horizon tonight.

It's quite a bit better than I expected. And while it's definitely 'of its time', the sets and practical effects are all first class.

I absolutely loved the premise. But here's a handy hint, physicists - if you don't want your Super Secret Spaceship to inadvertently punch a hole into Hell and get trapped there for seven years, perhaps don't cover your Gravity Drive and surrounding accouterments in creepy, demonic-looking runes and symbols. Just a thought...

Also...

EVERY CHARACTER: "We absolutely have to find out what happened to the crew of the Event Horizon..."

The Audience: THERE THEY ARE, SMEARED ALL OVER THE WALLS OF THE BRIDGE. I MEAN, THEY'RE RIGHT BEHIND YOU. CAN'T YOU SEE THEIR FUCKING SKULLS?

Anyway, there is reportedly an Amazon TV series in the pipeline. Should be awesome.

2 hours ago, dbunting said:

There is a contender in the works right now. Sam and Victors day off? They are the two valets who are seen in Ferris Buellers day off taking the Ferrari for a joy ride. The whole movie is going to be centered on them driving it for the day. 

Dear God why?

17 minutes ago, dbunting said:

$$$$???  Heard something about Cobra Kai success and wanna cash in too, I have no idea?

I honestly have heard like five people talk about that show not including people on this forum. And even that at least reconnects you with not just the characters, but the actual actors from a beloved movie. This is nothing like that. The people behind this deserve what happened to the crew from Event Horizon, quite possibly the scariest movie I ever saw as a young kid.

I started up RRR and almost immediately found it hilarious. Yes, colonialism and persecution are sad topics and such, but the way that movie is directed makes it all extremely funny.

I had to stop after ten minutes because this is definitely one to watch with friends. It's so spectacularly stupid that it will make for a wonderful viewing party.

:lol:

I haven't laughed that hard at a show for a while now.

I watched the V/H/S franchise over the last few days. I'd seen at least the first two before. I like the first the best by far. You could make a really good single entry by mixing and matching though. My vote would be: Amateur Night, , Safe Haven, Parallel Monsters, 10/31/98

Also the frame narratives are always a waste of time. Anyway I look forward to the sequel that's supposed to come out in october.

2 hours ago, IFR said:

I had to stop after ten minutes because this is definitely one to watch with friends. It's so spectacularly stupid that it will make for a wonderful viewing party.

:rofl: That's exactly how I watched it with my batchmates in the last week of school, only @Zorral takes it seriously lol

2 hours ago, IFR said:

:lol:

I haven't laughed that hard at a show for a while now.

Hope the Oscar committee does so too, if the fools here send it as the official entry.

2 hours ago, IFR said:

I started up RRR and almost immediately found it hilarious. Yes, colonialism and persecution are sad topics and such, but the way that movie is directed makes it all extremely funny.

There is a lack of good movies in that genre sadly

29 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I watched the V/H/S franchise over the last few days. I'd seen at least the first two before. I like the first the best by far. You could make a really good single entry by mixing and matching though. My vote would be: Amateur Night, , Safe Haven, Parallel Monsters, 10/31/98

Also the frame narratives are always a waste of time. Anyway I look forward to the sequel that's supposed to come out in october.

I liked the first couple movies a lot. Didn’t care for Viral much. And apparently I missed the one that came out last year (94) completely. 

Watched Ship of Theseus, yes the Plutarch thought experiment is alluded, also features a Platonic allegory in the climax, Hinglish in the censor certificate, but everything from Arabic to Swedish is featured, I wont attempt to define the film or express what I've seen so soon after watching it. Takes time. Instead here's the makers' tagline

The film explores "questions of identity, justice, beauty, meaning and death through the stories of an experimental photographer, an ailing monk and an enterprising stockbroker", played by Aida El-Kashef, Neeraj Kabi and Sohum Shah.

I could link it to an underrated and misunderstood Will Smith film but that would be a spoiler here. Suffices to say its beautifully shot, lensed and cut with meditative music. Lingering shots to frenzied tracking all feature, metaphysics is subtly embedded in the story, the screenplay is organic...you know what, I'll stop. You've to watch it to understand.

Been making my way through more Sandman. Got up to episode 4 before I had to return to real-life needs like sleep. Kind of regret not having a day off because I want to see more of it. Episode 4 in particular was brilliant

Spoiler

The Sandman's battle with Lucifer was quite well done. I think I definitely read the comics a few years back up until that point (although I do remember it remarkably different) but there is something about just seeing the emotion on Gwendoline Christie's face when she thinks of Heaven.

This episode would really have benefitted from a weekly release. I thought the conversation between her and Morpheus wasn't 100% clear (i.e. I guess Morpheus told Lucifer that he possessed great indirect power in hell, due to the fact that if people could not dream of Heaven anymore, the anguish caused by their existence in Hell would cease and the devil would not have dominion over all the damned souls anymore. I do however wonder whether I missed something else more personal in there.) 

OMITB season 2 wrapped up and it was... fine. Still very entertaining and likeable characters, but they need to step up their murder mystery game a bit.

Yay. Lower Decks is back!

Spoiler

"The judge is a 'planets rights' nutcase!"

3 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

OMITB season 2 wrapped up and it was... fine. Still very entertaining and likeable characters, but they need to step up their murder mystery game a bit.

Yay. Lower Decks is back!

Reveal hidden contents

"The judge is a 'planet's rights' nutcase!"

I finished second season of Only Murders too, I think my opinion is higher than before as I just have to take the show for what it is. It's a very lightweight, gentle thing that isn't really trying to be really good, it's just 'kind of enjoyable' 

It's a fun way to pass the time I guess, but yeah I know what you are saying, the whole mystery aspect of the show is pretty weak, it's hardly full of twists and turns and usually the reveal is pretty ridiculous. 

I guess I was just hoping for more from Martin and Short. But it's a very much 'low expectations' kind of show.

28 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I finished second season of Only Murders too, I think my opinion is higher than before as I just have to take the show for what it is. It's a very lightweight, gentle thing that isn't really trying to be really good, it's just 'kind of enjoyable' 

It's a fun way to pass the time I guess, but yeah I know what you are saying, the whole mystery aspect of the show is pretty weak, it's hardly full of twists and turns and usually the reveal is pretty ridiculous. 

I guess I was just hoping for more from Martin and Short. But it's a very much 'low expectations' kind of show.

I think it's great. Wildly entertaining, with Martin, Short and Gomez having really good chemistry and keeps you guessing just enough to see where it goes. One of my favorite shows on tv right now.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy watching it, mostly due to Martin, Short, a ton of great theater actors, quirky dialog etc.

And I don't mind that the identity of the murderer didn't surprise me, but leaving a ton of loose ends 
(plus those of season 1) and not tie them together in the end is a bit lazy. (There are literally dozens of them.) Also, I'm all for our heroes bumbling through the case, but this season, they rarely even tried to investigate. And drawing certain things out etc.

That said, love how they seem to be using

Spoiler

Paul Rudd as a meanie. (I could have swon Teddy was going to be the next victim.)

Speaking of which... Will it now be Also Murders Outside The Building? Only Murders In The Building And Somewhat Adjacent?

Anyway, I'll be along for the ride.

Archived