Is Tyrion infertile ?

As I was re-reading the books a came upon a passage a never paid attention before. When Tywin informs Tyrion he is supposed to wed Sansa and consumate the mariage Tywin question him on if he can have children. Tyrion say's that he does not believe so even if he cannot prove is fertility, that he has no bastard he knows of.

And it migth be nothing but it made me wonder, with all the unprotected sex that Tyrion is supposed to have had, should he have at least a few bastard ? Robert has quite a few and other whoring inclined lord seem to have some too. So the hebonist Tyrion should have eventualy made a baby. And a blonde dwarf from a whore who sleeped with Tyrion would let little doudt on the question of the father. Such a child migth be sold, abandon or dispoced of, in opposition to the child of Robert or is like but that child would still be the natural child of the heir to the richest lordship in the land so the chance of it being kept would be high. But Tyrion does not know of any and his father either, so no whore went directly to Tywin with a bastard of Tyrion.

Tyrion is quite grotesque and difformed, and to had to that we know Cercei most likely abused him, including is genitals. So for me the chances that Tyrion cannot have children migth actually be quite high.

What do you think ?

2 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

Either that or prostitutes didn't want to have kids with Tyrion.

I find that hard to believe.

As ugly as he might be, Tyrion is still a Lannister. And not just any Lannister, a Lannister of the main branch, a son of the Lord of Casterly Rock. To have Tywin Lannister's grandson is to get a big paycheck...maybe not for life but you'd be taken care of in the meantime.

Joy Hill is well-provided for and even is able to secure a good marriage to the heir of House Westerling.

In the end, it just points to Tyrion being sterile. After all, being able to study and quantify the infertility of men is a relatively new advent in science/medicine. A lot of men in the medieval era just didn't know, didn't care or blamed it on women.

4 minutes ago, BlackLightning said:

I find that hard to believe.

As ugly as he might be, Tyrion is still a Lannister. And not just any Lannister, a Lannister of the main branch, a son of the Lord of Casterly Rock. To have Tywin Lannister's grandson is to get a big paycheck...maybe not for life but you'd be taken care of in the meantime.

Joy Hill is well-provided for and even is able to secure a good marriage to the heir of House Westerling.

In the end, it just points to Tyrion being sterile. After all, being able to study and quantify the infertility of men is a relatively new advent in science/medicine. A lot of men in the medieval era just didn't know, didn't care or blamed it on women.

What I mean is possibly having a child who might have dwarfism. Given how Tyrion is looked down upon for being a dwarf and he's in the upper crust of society, imagine what it would be like for a commoner whose child has that hanging over their head.

1 hour ago, Angel Eyes said:

What I mean is possibly having a child who might have dwarfism. Given how Tyrion is looked down upon for being a dwarf and he's in the upper crust of society, imagine what it would be like for a commoner whose child has that hanging over their head.

True but these are prostitutes we are talking about.

I think that a lot of them will care more about the money and status that they (and the child) would receive than the actual wellbeing of the child or any further social ramifications. Glass half full mindset.

15 hours ago, Vaegon the dragonless said:

As I was re-reading the books a came upon a passage a never paid attention before. When Tywin informs Tyrion he is supposed to wed Sansa and consumate the mariage Tywin question him on if he can have children. Tyrion say's that he does not believe so even if he cannot prove is fertility, that he has no bastard he knows of.

And it migth be nothing but it made me wonder, with all the unprotected sex that Tyrion is supposed to have had, should he have at least a few bastard ? Robert has quite a few and other whoring inclined lord seem to have some too. So the hebonist Tyrion should have eventualy made a baby. And a blonde dwarf from a whore who sleeped with Tyrion would let little doudt on the question of the father. Such a child migth be sold, abandon or dispoced of, in opposition to the child of Robert or is like but that child would still be the natural child of the heir to the richest lordship in the land so the chance of it being kept would be high. But Tyrion does not know of any and his father either, so no whore went directly to Tywin with a bastard of Tyrion.

Tyrion is quite grotesque and difformed, and to had to that we know Cercei most likely abused him, including is genitals. So for me the chances that Tyrion cannot have children migth actually be quite high.

What do you think ?

We don't know because he sleeps with paid professionals who would know how to dispose of an unwanted baby.  Could be he fertilized a few eggs and mothers took something to abort. 

5 hours ago, Bowen Marsh said:

We don't know because he sleeps with paid professionals who would know how to dispose of an unwanted baby.  Could be he fertilized a few eggs and mothers took something to abort. 

For sure, I just find it weird that with the amount of sex Tyrion is supposed to have had not one accident happend and the mother tried to get something out of it.

13 hours ago, BlackLightning said:

True but these are prostitutes we are talking about.

I think that a lot of them will care more about the money and status that they (and the child) would receive than the actual wellbeing of the child or any further social ramifications. Glass half full mindset.

I suppose it depends if they heard the story about Tyrion's first wife.

That would be a rather clear sign that any golddigging (which would remind Tywin of his father's mistress) would receive the Mountain rather than a payoff.

1 hour ago, Vaegon the dragonless said:

For sure, I just find it weird that with the amount of sex Tyrion is supposed to have had not one accident happend and the mother tried to get something out of it.

There's also the alternative that he might have sired some but it's not like these women aren't having sex with other men.

Also in Westeros, I'm assuming abortificants are common knowledge among the oldest profession if not mandatory. Moon tea is apparently drank the same way as regular birth control is used to deal with cramping, it's just not a good idea to give to a mother already expecting like Lysa or in the doses presumably used by Ser Holster Tully.

41 minutes ago, C.T. Phipps said:

I suppose it depends if they heard the story about Tyrion's first wife.

That would be a rather clear sign that any golddigging (which would remind Tywin of his father's mistress) would receive the Mountain rather than a payoff.

Basically whoever's gold-digging will receive a mountain of trouble.

23 hours ago, Vaegon the dragonless said:

What do you think ?

we cannot really know... anything! there are too many possibilities ... 

the women may have had abortions ,dwarf babies may have been killed  , mothers may have approached Tywin and he may have gotten rid of them , they may not have approached Tyrion for the same reason Bella's mom never went to Robert, etc. 

however, I think Tyrion has no problem with having children , and I think Lanna is his daughter by Tysha . not only Sailor's Wife gives huge Tysha-vibes , but also there's a pattern in naming whore's bastards: Barra (Baratheon ) , Obara (Oberyn) , Lanna (Lannister) . not to mention Lanna's fine long golden hair and 14 years of age. 

2 hours ago, EggBlue said:

we cannot really know... anything! there are too many possibilities ... 

the women may have had abortions ,dwarf babies may have been killed  , mothers may have approached Tywin and he may have gotten rid of them , they may not have approached Tyrion for the same reason Bella's mom never went to Robert, etc. 

however, I think Tyrion has no problem with having children , and I think Lanna is his daughter by Tysha . not only Sailor's Wife gives huge Tysha-vibes , but also there's a pattern in naming whore's bastards: Barra (Baratheon ) , Obara (Oberyn) , Lanna (Lannister) . not to mention Lanna's fine long golden hair and 14 years of age. 

I'm sorry but who is Lanna again?

On 8/1/2022 at 8:36 AM, Vaegon the dragonless said:

What do you think ?

He drinks heavily, so maybe. But it's not just a wonder that he has no bastards, but that he hasn't caught anything nasty yet.

Unless he has an exclusive relationship with someone (e.g., Shae), it's quite possible he has had offspring he knows nothing about, since his sex partners would have no certain knowledge of who any child's father was.

OMG!!  I thought the title question of this thread was:  Is Tyrion INFANTILE???  LOLOL  I was ready to read all kinds of interesting posts, and perhaps......toss out some thoughts of my own.  Lawd, he can be a bit infantile, especially in ASOS, but, as Gilda Radner would say:  NEVERMIND!!  

Archived