US politics: calm blue waters

IheartIheartTesla

1 minute ago, Argonath Diver said:

Trump also has shown nothing but contempt for our Armed Forces his entire life. I'm just baffled when veterans love the guy. One of my most heroic friends, still active duty Air Force currently in Bahrain, has been posting anti-Trump information from a military point of view for years. Her contempt for the guy is palpable, and when her fellow military contacts defend him on her posts, she comes backing receipts. 

Argonath Diver -- the majority (pre-veteran) didn't, at least not amongst my former peers. While active, I don't recall a single one in my vicinity admitting it publicly or privately -- but the oppositte happened occaissionally.

I have no idea what you meant by that. My point remains that Trump has been contemptuous of men like yourself, distinguished veterans, his whole life. He's pulled the rug from under countless people in uniform. As you said yourself, your colleagues are abandoning him.

That's because he's a fucking scum bag, man, and you deserve a better golden idol than that sheister. Best of luck in your endeavours.

Desperate trolly trolls troll. :P Obvious from the gitgo that the troll is a trolly troll. :P Stop wasting time on trolly troll.

However! if the the turn up at m-a-l is for reals, that's a thing. Or am I just a-hopin' and a-wishin' right now?

20 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I am not necessarily a big supporter of popular gun control legislation, but holy smokes is this discussion from Lauren Boebert right off the edge of logic and rationale thought.

If this is the kind of "thought leadership" that the national party supports right now, the Republicans might as well shut up shop and hang the shutters.

Lack of access to firearms does not have as a natural and direct outcome the consumption of dogs as a part of the national diet.

She's your average Republican.

1 minute ago, Argonath Diver said:

I have no idea what you meant by that. My point remains that Trump has been contemptuous of men like yourself, distinguished veterans, his whole life. He's pulled the rug from under countless people in uniform. As you said yourself, your colleagues are abandoning him.

That's because he's a fucking scum bag, man, and you deserve a better golden idol than that sheister. Best of luck in your endeavours.

Argonath Diver -- it's a great point, and probably true (my peers, and the headlines involving Generals! demonstrate that). What I meant was that no one supported him publically or privately, and that the occaissional opinion voiced was only against him (amongst the active duty).

What interests me -- and I don't hold it against anyone here, or even attempt to troll, or seek support from anyone -- is how hostile that majority (and much of the minority) is. It's a wonder to me! Moreover, even though I don't think he'd win, all he needs to do is try, and I anticipate that the situation on the streets will be much worse than we saw in 2020? Add to that the various (all failed, btw) conservative movements (e.g. Tea Party, Proud Boys, Alt-Right, Trumpist, et al.) and what we're seeing is a good chance of long-lasting social fracture.

Truly, not my idol. Believe it or not, I've never voted for the man.

16 minutes ago, Wade1865 said:

Add to that the various (all failed, btw) conservative movements (e.g. Tea Party, Proud Boys, Alt-Right, Trumpist, et al.)

Excepting the Proud Boys (and even then..), the other three are the same exact "movement" rebranded.

53 minutes ago, DMC said:

As Fez said, in this case he almost certainly signed off on it.  To be clear though, I was 100% joking with my previous comment.  If this is about the national archives thing then it really isn't gonna amount to much.

If it's about the National Archives thing...that's an entirely different kettle of fish then.  And should have consequences that could bar him from holding office again, no? Am I reading things from elsewhere wrong...

And if J6 info comes to light...well then...

And as Maddow is currently explaining...well it can't be clear WHICH federal investigation is part of this without more info...

1 minute ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

And should have consequences that could bar him from holding office again, no? Am I reading things from elsewhere wrong...

First, it's very unlikely he'd go to prison for that - even if he didn't pin it on a fall guy which would be pretty easy to do.  Second, even prisoners can technically run for (and theoretically win) the presidency.  Eugene Debs in 1920 is the famous example.

Just now, DMC said:

Excepting the Proud Boys (and even then..), the other three are the same exact "movement" rebranded.

DMC -- yes, rebranding sounds right, with the Tea Party being my first exposure to the movement. I'm not sure about the Proud Boys, they seem to have been heavily marginalized to me. But that's the point -- the US left wing has won every. single. movement. since 1865 (abortion rights seem to have taken a hit, but the Supreme Court didn't wholly kill off the option somewhere in the US; shaken, but not broken). What I see is a post-1865 correlation of forces, where the leftist (especially the progressive) has become an inevitability!

Being right wing, will I challenge the dominant social forces of the US? Hahaha, no way -- I'd sign up to defend the Chinese population of Taiwan before that. In fact, when there is a more intense general clash, o/a 2023/4, I'd put my money on the left (progerssive) winning and its subsequent slide towards a more controlled market ecomomy.

Notable is when the limited clashes in 2020 occurred, the right wing almost always beat the left wing, yet who is more organized? Who has more mass? Who has more political / economic support? The left.

10 minutes ago, DMC said:

First, it's very unlikely he'd go to prison for that - even if he didn't pin it on a fall guy which would be pretty easy to do.  Second, even prisoners can technically run for (and theoretically win) the presidency.  Eugene Debs in 1920 is the famous example.

It's not the prisoner thing. The law specifically states that if you're convicted you are prohibited from holding public office. 

6 minutes ago, KalVsWade said:

It's not the prisoner thing. The law specifically states that if you're convicted you are prohibited from holding public office. 

I'm aware.  But Trump would challenge that in court and....

26 minutes ago, HoodedCrow said:

You do realize that Putin manipulated a very venal Trump to cause division in America, so that attacking Ukraine would be easier. Well, if you like that join team Littlefinger ( or Slytherin)

HoodedCrow -- no, but I realized two other things. First, that Vladimir miscalculated Donald's willingness to support him effectively (yet I now wonder, why would a "Fascistic" ethinic German-American support an Aristocratic ethnic Tatar-Slav -- wouldn't that be historically nonsensical?). And Second, Vladimir miscalculated his military's combat power, which will either delay the PRC or advance their reunification of Chaiwan.

I'm free now, I'm not joining anyone's team but my own.

Archived