US politics: calm blue waters

IheartIheartTesla

1 minute ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

We’re all shocked to see the losing one term former President who lives in Florida and loves the Russian dictator… plead the 5th… aren’t we?

Well, actually, yes. 

I've never seen him not ramble on. And I do believe he'd do that here too if not for his lawyers.

7 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

We’re all shocked to see the losing one term former President who lives in Florida and loves the Russian dictator… plead the 5th… aren’t we?

Absolutely, I'm still clutching my pearls!

I wonder what they'll find on Perry's cell phone.

6 minutes ago, Rorschach - 2 said:

I've never seen him not ramble on. And I do believe he'd do that here too if not for his lawyers.

The shocking thing is he now apparently has lawyers competent enough to give him wise counsel -- and that he listened to them.

13 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

All the cool kids plead the fifth.   :smoking:

Police forces are not occupying armies -- are not intended to be, are not supposed to be.  The more the cops behave like occupying forces the less effective they are at POLICING, the less they actually serve and protect the community, the more they behave like mercs.

2 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Civil war over this likely not, but it could be just another factor that could add to the pretext of a civil war down the line. A potential localized uprising (several locations, not just one) could happen should the former be indicted. We saw how eager some people were to come and protest the FBI's actions. 

“The first act of history is often farce,” Kyle Harper muses in The Fate of Rome: Climate, Disease and the End of an Empire, regarding the ascension and fall of emperor Maximinus in the 3rd C.

This happens is in the mid 3rd century as the empire transitioned into late antiquity, losing its resilience to recover from various crises due to the pressure of pandemic diseases and climate change.  This emperor was just about the first of what the author calls the "barracks emperors", those put in power by the army.  This particular guy was such a clown that the army that put him there, took him outta there, not that long after.

In other words, people breathed a sigh of relief that this clown Maximinus was gone -- the creator of the farce he was making of Rome by his behaviors and stupidity -- only to be succeeded by worse and more competent usurpers, opening that long period that essentially led to the first partitioning of the empire, as so much of what Romans had been used to for hundreds if not thousands of years, began to disappear, along with population and institutions.

Or, as Dr. Jeet Heer puts it, romperisto is not the Mussolini, he's the Gabriel d'Annunzio who heralds the arrival of fascism.

5 hours ago, maarsen said:

I keep wondering why Roger Stone and what Stone could reciprocate with. A Nixon dick pic? 

Jones strikes more as the kinda moron, who'd just send it on a dare or to just brag about his hot wife

2 hours ago, Larry of the Lake said:

Student debt payments resume in three weeks.  Does this admin do anything before then?  Seems they are kind of fucked either way midterms wise, might as well do it now and help millions of people out.  

The Education Department has a plan for canceling student debt — if Biden gives the word  

The department’s plan contemplates that all types of federal student loans would be eligible for loan forgiveness, including Grad and Parent PLUS loans as well as federal loans owned by private entities. And it also suggests that borrowers who ever received a Pell grant, financial assistance for low-income families, could receive an additional amount of loan forgiveness. [...]

White House advisers are looking at limiting any loan forgiveness to borrowers earning below a certain income threshold, but they have not finalized that amount. The internal Education Department presentation for Cardona cites — as an example of a threshold — $125,000 for individuals and $250,000 for families, which are among the figures that have been previously reported as under consideration.

Also:

In addition, the Education Department has reportedly notified its contracted loan servicers not to send billing notices to borrowers this month. Given that payments are set to resume in just a matter of weeks, the order is a clear sign that the administration does not anticipate billing borrowers in the immediate future, particularly given that top officials have promised borrowers significant notice before resuming payments.

It seems pretty clear that at least an extension of the pause is almost certain.  I'd also expect him to delay making a final decision, again, but who knows maybe he'll be bold?  Either way, given the Education Department's preparations, I think some type of forgiveness is inevitable, but I'd bet Biden's still gonna wait til after the midterms.

1 hour ago, Martell Spy said:

Social media providing information on abortions to authorities has been a worry for a while now. Maybe it's not a worry to you though. 

Also, Meta claims they didn't know it was about abortion. They were told it involved "skeletal remains." Are they telling the truth? And if they did know would they have acted different?

Any sort of organization has to comply with a court warrant, including social media companies. They didn't exactly call 911 and say "hey we have some juicy chat messages, wanna see?"

11 hours ago, DMC said:

So it (very understandably) took a while for the results to get in, but the special election in the Minnesota 1st is now at 99% reporting according to ABC.  And while the Republican - Brad Finstad - won (the race was actually called hours ago), the interesting thing is the margin.  Right now he's only winning by 4%, which is contextually great news for Dems. 

It's based on the pre-redistricting lines, where its Cook PVI was R+8 and 538's partisan lean was R+15.  Trump won the district 54 to 44 in 2020 and 53 to 38 in 2016.  In other words, the Dem candidate significantly overperformed in an open seat during a cycle when the GOP has very obvious and strong environmental advantages.

Sounds like a repeat of what happened in Nebraska 1 back on June 28. That we now have two examples of districts in the Midwest doing this since the Dobbs decision is a cautiously hopeful singn. 

6 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

By “raid” you mean the service of a search warrant that issued upon probable cause after review by a neutral judicial arbiter (appointed by Trump in 2018) is that what you mean by “raid”?

If Trump is so angry about the injustice of this “raid” why will he not show the world the search warrant he was served with to demonstrate once and for all that the “raid” was specious and without any rational basis?

For the life of me I can't see why "raid" is being considered incorrect in this context. I know some right-wing voices have used the term "break-in", which definitely is incorrect, but I thought when a law enforcement agency served a search warrant in a fairly sudden manner in order to make destruction of evidence less likely that a "raid" was what we called it in everyday English. I think it's wonderful they did this, and I am all for them raiding Trump. I don't think the word "raid" itself should imply "specious" at all. 
"

9 minutes ago, Ormond said:

aw enforcement agency served a search warrant in a fairly sudden manner i

It wasn't done in a sudden manner at all.  The process was lengthy, as so many boxes had to be ticked off to apply for a servable warrant.  Plus, the had been talking with the romperistos about this on behalf of the National Archives for a lengthy period.  It wasn't even secret to those guys, though you and I and the media were not alerted.  Not. A. Raid.

3 hours ago, Gorn said:

Any sort of organization has to comply with a court warrant, including social media companies. They didn't exactly call 911 and say "hey we have some juicy chat messages, wanna see?"

There are some issues concerning this story.

Encryption and storage of private information/messages. That's the real underlying issues. With proper end-to-end encryption, Diabeteshill and his data kraken wouldn't be able to provide those private messages. I mean, that's the kinda of message that I just assume doesn't show up on your usual fb timeline.

34 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

There are some issues concerning this story.

Encryption and storage of private information/messages. That's the real underlying issues. With proper end-to-end encryption, Diabetehill and his data kraken wouldn't be able to provide those private messages. I mean, that's the kinda of message that I just assume doesn't show up on your usual fb timeline.

Facebook Messenger offers end-to-end encryption as an option. They also own a messaging app that is encrypted by default (WhatsApp). I don't see how this situation is different than say, telecom company enabling a wiretap or post office opening a letter in compliance of a warrant.

The original article is nothing more than pointless clickbait.

7 minutes ago, Gorn said:

Facebook Messenger offers end-to-end encryption as an option. They also own a messaging app that is encrypted by default (WhatsApp). I don't see how this situation is different than say, telecom company enabling a wiretap or post office opening a letter in compliance of a warrant.

The original article is nothing more than pointless clickbait.

It is fundamentally different. 

Phone companies do not, and I apparently have to repeat this, they do not wiretap every phone call that is made through their company. So they can't provide retroactively recordings of the phone call to police agencies.

And no, the post office also doesn't keep copies of every letter they deliver. 

The problem is not complying with the court order, but with FB storing the information in the first place.

The frackin' MEDIA fer pete's sake, should really stop calling the MAL warranted pick-up of the federally owned property that belongs to the National Archives a 'raid.'

Come on, we all know what a RAID is: breaking into one's house, farm, village, neighborhood by jackbooted, bullet proof vests and / or other combat gear thugs/cops/troops, arms of kinds out and pointing and threatening, perhaps more thugs/cops/combat troops, up in the sky, raking the place with helicopter spot lights, doing it without telling you are coming, and, of course do not have a warrant, and then, of course get the wrong place, kill people and then lie about it.  None of this is true about the execution of the warrant at MAL.

Sheesh, doesn't anybody watch tv anymore?

9 minutes ago, Zorral said:

The frackin' MEDIA fer pete's sake, should really stop calling the MAL warranted pick-up of the federally owned property that belongs to the National Archives a 'raid.'

Come on, we all know what a RAID is: breaking into one's house, farm, village, neighborhood by jackbooted, bullet proof vests and / or other combat gear thugs/cops/troops, arms of kinds out and pointing and threatening, perhaps more thugs/cops/combat troops, up in the sky, raking the place with helicopter spot lights, doing it without telling you are coming, and, of course do not have a warrant, and then, of course get the wrong place, kill people and then lie about it.  None of this is true about the execution of the warrant at MAL.

Sheesh, doesn't anybody watch tv anymore?

I think people just don't like "raid" because of whose property was raided.  I don't understand why this doesn't count as a raid.  I've absolutely never heard of not having a warrant being a determining factor in whether or not something is a raid.  

Archived