US politics: calm blue waters

IheartIheartTesla

7 hours ago, Wade1865 said:

Ser Scot A Ellison -- yep! that's the raid I was talking about, good catch! I'm not sure why Big Donald wouldn't show this raid's search warrant, but he strikes me as the kind of man who likes to keep things private even when there's no need to. Even if I was the one who got raided, I'd still show it. In fact, I'd frame it.

Until he was defeated by Uncle Joe, Big Donald was invulnerable. And with this raid targeted at a former US President, unprecedented and with so many potentially nation-shaking future events, the raid was most likely warranted. It makes me wonder how much risk he's holding right now; and if it would put an end to his 2024 run. Exciting!!

(I wonder if the raid included helicopters. I love those kinds of raids)

You're like the Agent Smith to my Neo. Or maybe I'm Smith and you're Mr. Anderson... All I know is something's inevitable here. 

Meanwhile, @Zorral baby. The media is the enemy. You gotta stop chastising them and start scapegoating them. Which should be easy because they deserve it.

Meanwhile, meanwhile... 

I've seen enough TV to know two things:

1) I understand that it's not easy getting a warrant (against a rich), so the justification for the warrant is less important than the fact that they got the warrant. I understand that Al Capone went away for tax fraud, not murder or bootlegging. So hopefully they found whatever evidence they still need to realize...

B ) this man can't get a fine and some technical rule against holding office on the basis of having taken some papers. That's not good enough. Prisons. Jumpsuits. 50,000 volts to the brain administered in answer for violent attacks against the government. That is justice. That is what is necessary. 

LOCK HIM UP

SHOCK HIM UP

LOCK HIM SHOCK HIM UP

25 minutes ago, Firebrand Jace said:

this man can't get a fine and some technical rule against holding office on the basis of having taken some papers. That's not good enough.

Yeah, that's why I wasn't too excited when the news broke the other night.  I get why lawyers were creaming their pants (albeit they seemed to have temporarily forgotten about court challenges) - and I couldn't help hearing "that's how they got Capone" from about a dozen shows/movies in my head - but politically even a lot of people that hate him are gonna be like "this is what you're going after him for?!?"  Again, that is if it's just the National Archives thing.  Certainly could be more.

It was not a raid, and two of his attorneys were present while the FBI was there.  Trump received a copy of the warrant and an itemized list of what was removed. 
I’ve also learned that US Presidents do not have a security clearance, they  can see everything, it comes with the job.  Also, Biden could have granted him one after 45 left office but declined saying he was too erratic. Once 45 left office, he was no longer cleared to see or handle classified info. 

1 hour ago, LongRider said:

It was not a raid, and two of his attorneys were present while the FBI was there.  Trump received a copy of the warrant and an itemized list of what was removed.

Yes, as some of us who respect language say, not a raid.

What does a raid mean in law?
A police raid or razzia is an unexpected visit by police or other law-enforcement officers, often in the early morning or late at night, with the aim of using the element of surprise in an attempt to arrest suspects believed to be likely to hide evidence, resist arrest, be politically sensitive, or simply be elsewhere.

Which again is also why I'm not too excited that this means a whole lot in terms of future indictments, trials and punishment.

Stop trying to control the language and start controlling the word. If they wanna call it a raid, call it a raid louder and prouder. Don't cede action language as a matter of minutia. Raid is a heavy word. Perfect to bludgeon with.

Who gives a fuck if they went in with the criminal's legal team or with Seal Team Six. His goons stormed the house of our government looking for papers to stop a steal. Now police have stormed his house looking for papers that HE stole. 

5 hours ago, Ormond said:

For the life of me I can't see why "raid" is being considered incorrect in this context.

Ormond -- it was definitely a raid in the general sense of the term. On the other hand, I can sympathize how people would have issue with the term as it does paint the raid as something less professional and more witch-hunt, as demonstrated by the immediate reaction of the right wing. I'm surprised it's an issue, though, as I didn't (originally) associate the term with undermining the legitimacy of the event. Given the target, there's too much at stake for the establishment to have not ensured all was legal and that Big Donald was holding risk.

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

Come on, we all know what a RAID is: breaking into one's house, farm, village, neighborhood by jackbooted, bullet proof vests and / or other combat gear thugs/cops/troops, arms of kinds out and pointing and threatening, perhaps more thugs/cops/combat troops, up in the sky, raking the place with helicopter spot lights, doing it without telling you are coming, and, of course do not have a warrant, and then, of course get the wrong place, kill people and then lie about it.

Zorral -- actually, you just described the best years of my past life to a T (including the use of helicopters; I love, love, love, air assault missions more than anything). The only discrepancy, in my case, is that I never lied about my errors -- because I never had to, all my efforts were state-sanctioned. And based on your perspective, the description is realistic, which makes me think you've experienced a raid or two, either as the target or the raider? Notably: the last air assault I conducted, during my last mission in Iraq, where the ARNG was doing their first in-country flight in support of me, infil'd me to the. wrong. target -- I am not kidding.

2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

@Wade1865

Just in case you thought I was kidding about the Federal Law, enacted by Trump, regarding the removal of Federal documents:

Ser Scot A Ellison -- I'll be honest (and I tone this good-naturedly), I don't recall humor being your strong suit. But I do recall you as a man of immaculate integrity. I believed you from the first post; you had me at hello.

2 hours ago, DMC said:

Yeah, that's why I wasn't too excited when the news broke the other night.  I get why lawyers were creaming their pants (albeit they seemed to have temporarily forgotten about court challenges) - and I couldn't help hearing "that's how they got Capone" from about a dozen shows/movies in my head - but politically even a lot of people that hate him are gonna be like "this is what you're going after him for?!?"  Again, that is if it's just the National Archives thing.  Certainly could be more.

DMC -- and here you describe an interesting dilemma developing in my mind on how this could play out, which explains why I feel the risk and reward are substantial, potentially nation-shaking. If the Capone-lite raid is successful, there's an unprecendented minimization to the office of the Presidency. On the other hand, if the raid proves to be a nothingburger, it will result in a more united GOP, radicalized right wing, and energized Big Donald. I may be over-emphasizing this, but I think the stakes are so high they reach near-earth orbit...

3 hours ago, Firebrand Jace said:

You're like the Agent Smith to my Neo. Or maybe I'm Smith and you're Mr. Anderson... All I know is something's inevitable here. 

Firebrand Jace -- definitely was Agent Smith.

46 minutes ago, Wade1865 said:

If the Capone-lite raid is successful, there's an unprecendented minimization to the office of the Presidency. On the other hand, if the raid proves to be a nothingburger, it will result in a more united GOP, radicalized right wing, and energized Big Donald. I may be over-emphasizing this, but I think the stakes are so high they reach near-earth orbit...

Well, I don't think the stakes are that high.  The right was always going to rally around Trump - and if they charge him, instead of it being a nothingburger, they'll just rally around him more...and if he's convicted, and so forth.  Worrying about that is just overthinking things.

As for an "unprecedented minimization of the presidency," it was Trump alone that tarnished the presidency (in myriad ways, of course), not the National Archives nor the feebs for doing what's necessary to recover the government's property.

2 hours ago, Firebrand Jace said:

Stop trying to control the language and start controlling the word. If they wanna call it a raid, call it a raid louder and prouder. Don't cede action language as a matter of minutia. Raid is a heavy word. Perfect to bludgeon with.

Who gives a fuck if they went in with the criminal's legal team or with Seal Team Six. His goons stormed the house of our government looking for papers to stop a steal. Now police have stormed his house looking for papers that HE stole. 

Not since Doolittle's Raid did America conduct a more satisfying RAID!

10 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Check out Beto O’Rouke at about :37 on this embedded video.  He calls a heckler a “mother fucker” for laughing about the 19 dead Children and two dead teachers in Uvalde Texas:

Yes! Yes! 

The masses seethe. They rage. They fear. 

Anger is a weapon Democrats can afford to ignore no longer.

On 8/7/2022 at 10:00 PM, Maltaran said:

This side of the pond it’s the Irish Republican Army

Late reply to this, but very much the case down in Aus for me as well to the point that it's really weird to ever use that acronym for anything else lol.

On 8/8/2022 at 7:23 PM, Mindwalker said:

No way would he have done it himself, Sherlock. He always finds someone to do his dirty work for him.

Another late reply, but the suggestion put to me was that he would have made Don Jr do it :P

2 hours ago, TormundsWoman said:

Yes but… does pleading the 5th make you a hero?  I don’t know. I’m not sure. I don’t like people who plead the 5th.

Only heroes plead the fifth, only zeroes tell the truth!  It's the GQP way!

9 hours ago, karaddin said:

but the suggestion put to me was that he would have made Don Jr do it :P

N'ah, he had his ugly girlfriend push his mamma down the stars, another 90K well spent.   

1 minute ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Oh please, we all know the designated fall guy in that family is Eric.

Well ya, but can he be trusted with doing really big jobs without fucking up?  Ask yourself this, would Tony Soprano pick Eric for the job?

Archived