Football: Més que un thread - all boarders have been registered to post

A Horse Named Stranger

From The Athletic (paywall):

Manchester United fallout: running, strained relations and Ten Hag changing mind on Ronaldo

Yet since returning from United’s tour, which saw good performances and strong unity develop among the travelling group, Ronaldo’s reintegration into the squad has proven challenging.

The Athletic has been told of days where he eats lunch alone in the canteen at Carrington, while he has been seen flapping his arms about in training and attempting to argue against the high-pressing approach favoured by the new manager. Both the club and Ronaldo’s representatives were approached for comment.

Too big to go down? Next up: relegation six-pointer at St Mary's.

Seriously, if they don't get rid of CR7 they might really go down. It's clear he is a toxic influence in their dressing room, and is already trying to tear down Ten Hag's tactical plans. 

Hilarious!

15 hours ago, Darryk said:

Whenever an Arsenal fan complains about Spurs players I just assume it's more sour grapes about them having no CL this season.

Behave. It's only CL participation, not a trophy.

Also, Arsenal have played more consecutive seasons in CL than Tottenham have spent in Europe in their history.

On 8/13/2022 at 8:10 PM, Hereward said:

True, but I really don’t think the kind of player that would attract is the kind of player they need to turn this shit tanker around.

No doubt. But they are not going to attract any world-class players any time soon, are they? I mean, they did get Cristiano, but it was because of shared history and, mainly, to stop him from signing for City. And let's not forget how that worked out for them.

The only way they could sign world-class players who could turn them around and are still young enough is if a bunch of them said "Oh, we've won enough trophies so that's not a challenge anymore. You know what would be great? Playing a part in Man Utd getting back to the top!" and United managed to sign them, get a manager suitable to lead that team back to the top AND the board and owners who could bankroll it. It seems highly unlikely, but what do I know?

Other than that, they need to identify and sign quite a few good players with potential for greatness and be insanely lucky once again to get the likes of Beckham, Scholes and Giggs from their academy.

15 hours ago, Darryk said:

Whenever an Arsenal fan complains about Spurs players I just assume it's more sour grapes about them having no CL this season.

You won the league

In black and white

You won the league in black and white

You won the league in the 60s

:lol:

7 minutes ago, baxus said:

The only way they could sign world-class players who could turn them around and are still young enough is if a bunch of them said "Oh, we've won enough trophies so that's not a challenge anymore. You know what would be great? Playing a part in Man Utd getting back to the top!" and United managed to sign them, get a manager suitable to lead that team back to the top AND the board and owners who could bankroll it. It seems highly unlikely, but what do I know?

Other than that, they need to identify and sign quite a few good players with potential for greatness and be insanely lucky once again to get the likes of Beckham, Scholes and Giggs from their academy.

This is basically what Arsenal has done. Including the parallels between United's Class of 92 with Saka, Smith Rowe and Nketiah. I still have hopes for Reiss Nelson as well, who we are expecting to see quite a bit of this season.

4 hours ago, baxus said:

Behave. It's only CL participation, not a trophy.

Also, Arsenal have played more consecutive seasons in CL than Tottenham have spent in Europe in their history.

I prefer to focus on the now.

3 hours ago, Spockydog said:

You won the league

In black and white

You won the league in the 60s

:lol:

Touche.

Last week against Fulham, Liverpool were shockingly sluggish and passive. They couldn’t pass through the high press at all (the ball was bouncing around in the air a lot rather than on the deck for crisp passes), movement off the ball and pass completion were  very poor all game.  And MF was the worst area by far.  Fabinho looked so disoriented he should have been sent for a concussion check.

Although in fairness, despite Fulham taking much greater initiative, both of their goals were enabled by a refereeing error as much as a moment of lazy inattention by a defender, and Fulham were allowed to both niggle throughout with uncalled fouls (on Diaz especially) and time waste to break any rhythm — not that any rhythm looked likely to emerge.  Refereeing is still poor and continues to favor physicality and cynicism over actual play.

I hope Liverpool don’t have a hangover from the fatigued end to last season because those players looked old and over-played.  They need to rediscover some crispness and energy.  Palace will be a tough challenge because that’s now a much younger team with good organization.

2 minutes ago, The Sunland Lord said:

At least you get him divorced.

You are the glass half full kinda guy, eh? It's all a matter of perspective.

You have to look at it differently. You could say, they'd get him divorced.

I'd say, United would get him, free to hook up with another team mates spouse. 

I am not versed enough in the lore of United's WAGS, but surely there are a few attractive ones among them.

6 hours ago, Spockydog said:

This is basically what Arsenal has done. Including the parallels between United's Class of 92 with Saka, Smith Rowe and Nketiah. I still have hopes for Reiss Nelson as well, who we are expecting to see quite a bit of this season.

I'd say it's still too soon to say Arsenal is back on their way to the top, though they have made big improvements over the last season or two. They have come a long way from all those "Arsenal are getting relegated" jokes that were thrown around back then.

3 hours ago, Darryk said:

I prefer to focus on the now.

Well, having so little success for decades now that CL participation is seen as a huge deal does tend do that to you. ;) 

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

You are the glass half full kinda guy, eh? It's all a matter of perspective.

I try, but that's not exactly what I meant. I tried to say, his ex wife will (probably) not continue to be his agent. 

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

You have to look at it differently. You could say, they'd get him divorced.

I'd say, United would get him, free to hook up with another team mates spouse. 

One can do it anyway.

8 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Sancho has played for 4 managers for Man Utd and scored 3 goals. 

Sancho is arguably the one player at United I feel genuinely sorry for. I mean, he is such a young and talented player, and he is in the middle of that dumpster fire.

Archived