Football: Més que un thread - all boarders have been registered to post

A Horse Named Stranger

54 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Paying out CR7's contract isn't on the cards either.

We shouldn't be paying out his contract. Ronaldo is the one who is desperate to leave so he should be the one to make a compromise in order to facilitate his departure. I would not be opposed to terminating his contract by mutual consent with no compensation so Ronaldo can piss off as a free agent.

As entertaining as that would be, CRonaldo wants to be playing regularly at a high level ahead of the World Cup. He's unlikely to risk potentially having no competitive football for a spell - could be a few weeks, could be more - ahead of that. 

Ten Hag needs to put his foot down then and freeze Ronaldo out of the team. He should be made to train alone and not be a part of any first team activities. Everyone at United has been treating Ronaldo with kid gloves while his behaviour has been despicably unprofessional. So far Ten Hag has just taken the easy way out instead of making the hard decisions - keeping De Gea is the starting XI, retaining Maguire as captain and placating Ronaldo.

I don't think it has to be high level for him [Insert United joke here].

I mean he could play MLS and still get called up. 

CL football is a mere ego thing for him. My personal theory is, that he wants to crack the 150 CL goals mark (and make sure, that Messi doesn't catch him there. (141 vs. 125 CL goals)).

Don't get me wrong. CRonaldo could not be playing at all and he'd get called up. It's not about whether he gets called up. It's about how he performs at the WC. 

As for ten Hag, I said November and I'm going to stick with that. If he hasn't taken those hard decisions, it's either because the club heirarchy don't support him in those choices or because he doesn't believe they would. Either way, not a great sign. 

I don't think he will be gone before the World Cup.

Every United fan can see with their own eyes, that the team isn't good enough to match their ambition. The lack of that holding  C(D)M, forward options being pretty thin (unless Martial shows up). It wouldn't surprise me, if they re-signed Depay out of sheer desparation (certainly better than Arnautovic).

I mean, with whom are they gonna replace him and hope things get better? Pochettino? No good manager in their right mind would take that job (except somebody like Allardyce, or Bruce, who could sense a quick pay out). Altho, PG might get his wish, with United ending up with Dyche - but I still think Allardyce is a more realistic scenario. Young and coming managers like Potter will look at that trainwreck, and be like: Meh, I wanted to have somewhat longer managerial career.

The United job right now is poisoned chalice. A lot of prestige (still), but sorta career graveyard.

5 hours ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

I really don't understand how not a single Man Utd manager understood they had to buy a DM all this time either. Is there something in the water there that makes them blind? Is such an obvious gap that one would think anyone would notice.

That’s why I wondered if Martinez might play at DM.  Especially since Maguire has retained the captaincy and is still starting.  Why spend that money on Martinez just to sit Varane on the bench and still leave the defense exposed by McFred ahead of them and DDG stuck to his line behind them?

41 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

That’s why I wondered if Martinez might play at DM.  Especially since Maguire has retained the captaincy and is still starting.  Why spend that money on Martinez just to sit Varane on the bench and still leave the defense exposed by McFred ahead of them and DDG stuck to his line behind them?

But why spend that money on Martinez and not on an actual DM? Wenger at Arsenal also had that problem for years, but it was only one guy, while United has had 3 managers in the last year and no one apparently even tried to sign someone.

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

Elon Musk says he is buying Manchester United

Is this before or after he buys Twitter?

And they were already tanking their value all on their own. 

I'm still curious if Apple, Amazon and/or Disney will just try and outright buy an entire league. Not the individual teams, but complete control of the central body. 

3 hours ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

But why spend that money on Martinez and not on an actual DM? Wenger at Arsenal also had that problem for years, but it was only one guy, while United has had 3 managers in the last year and no one apparently even tried to sign someone.

Agreed.  It’s a baffling purchase either way.  A DM is the biggest gap in that squad and has been since Matic declined.  It’s slightly less fantastical to think a manager would buy a CB as a DM than to think they would ignore the DM gap entirely and buy another CB just to continue playing Maguire regardless.

15 hours ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

I really don't understand how not a single Man Utd manager understood they had to buy a DM all this time either. Is there something in the water there that makes them blind? Is such an obvious gap that one would think anyone would notice.

While it's undeniable they need a DM, it's hardly their only issue. They need a complete squad overhaul, but before they can get into that, they need a plan on what to overhaul the team into. 

5 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

And they were already tanking their value all on their own. 

I'm still curious if Apple, Amazon and/or Disney will just try and outright buy an entire league. Not the individual teams, but complete control of the central body. 

From what I understand, the League is owned by clubs playing in it at the moment. Not sure how anyone would be able to just come in and buy it.

6 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

LOL. Don't be absurd.

Actually, scratch that. I know a bloke. Who knows another bloke. Who reckons we can strike a deal. Meet me underneath London Bridge.

Archived