Football: Més que un thread - all boarders have been registered to post

A Horse Named Stranger

2 hours ago, baxus said:

From what I understand, the League is owned by clubs playing in it at the moment. Not sure how anyone would be able to just come in and buy it.

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

LOL. Don't be absurd.

Actually, scratch that. I know a bloke. Who knows another bloke. Who reckons we can strike a deal. Meet me underneath London Bridge.

Don't be so dismissive. Look at Apple's value (nearly $3T) and compare that to what the PL makes annually and the overall value of all the clubs. They could buy every team at every level in England and not even notice the financial hit. But they wouldn't have to do that, they could just give each team a shit ton of money while taking over the central offices and you'd get the PL presented by Apple, only available if you purchase Apple+. 

27 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Don't be so dismissive. Look at Apple's value (nearly $3T) and compare that to what the PL makes annually and the overall value of all the clubs. They could buy every team at every level in England and not even notice the financial hit. But they wouldn't have to do that, they could just give each team a shit ton of money while taking over the central offices and you'd get the PL presented by Apple, only available if you purchase Apple+. 

LOL. Tell me you're American, without telling me you're American.

That's fucking deranged. And demonstrates once again that you haven't got the faintest fucking idea how organized sport works outside of the USA.

Over here, we have rules against that kind of thing. Baffling, I know. But there you go.

15 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

LOL. Tell me you're American, without telling me you're American.

That's fucking deranged. And demonstrates once again that you haven't got the faintest fucking idea how organized sport works outside of the USA.

Over here, we have rules against that kind of thing. Baffling, I know. But there you go.

:lmao:You post all day everyday about how Tories break all the norms, rules and laws and you can't see how it could apply here? And about how your likely new PM defends grotesque profits for energy giants while people in the UK are really struggling. Do you really think the rich and powerful aren't eventually going to get their way and do this to your sports too? Seems naïve to me, especially as outside interests continue to buy up sports. 

Not sure I see the need for impoliteness, folks.

It is true that taking over an entire football league would not be a simple undertaking. Because of the way football works both nationally and internationally, you would effectively have to establish a new, breakaway league with no affiliation to the existing structures. No FA Cup, no Champions' League, and players would probably never get to participate in the World Cup either.

On the other hand, given sufficient money, it is at least possible.

That's what makes LIV such a fascinating test case. The PGA is pretty publicly freaking out which means it's even worse behind doors. The winner of the last major and ranked number 2 in the world is said to defect. It's expected that more top players will too and the money is likely to trump the ability to participate in the majors. Once enough players leave where does that leave the sport?

And sadly many think tennis could be up next. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

:lmao:You post all day everyday about how Tories break all the norms, rules and laws and you can't see how it could apply here? And about how your likely new PM defends grotesque profits for energy giants while people in the UK are really struggling. Do you really think the rich and powerful aren't eventually going to get their way and do this to your sports too? Seems naïve to me, especially as outside interests continue to buy up sports. 

I'm all for innovation and shaking things up, but what in the actual fuck have the Tories got to do with football? I mean talk about apples and oranges. 

Anyway, your amazing plan will never work because, under the current rules, Apple Inc would be barred from owning two football clubs in the PL, let alone all 20.

28 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

That's what makes LIV such a fascinating test case. The PGA is pretty publicly freaking out which means it's even worse behind doors. The winner of the last major and ranked number 2 in the world is said to defect. It's expected that more top players will too and the money is likely to trump the ability to participate in the majors. Once enough players leave where does that leave the sport?

And sadly many think tennis could be up next. 

There you go again. Your naivety is off the charts. BTW - it's absurd thinking like this that led to the humiliation of a bunch of American billionaires over the Super League fiasco. The sooner Americans realize that they cannot transpose their shitty, non-competitive "sporting" model to European Football the better. That shit will never fly over here.

And as for those LIV cunts, you cannot for one second compare individual, greedy-ass golfers to entire football clubs.

4 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

I'm all for innovation and shaking things up, but what in the actual fuck have the Tories got to do with football? I mean talk about apples and oranges. 

Because their behaviors should demonstrate to you that the rich and powerful don't care about rules and norms. Same applies to the people who own the clubs.

Anyway, your amazing plan will never work because, under the current rules, Apple Inc would be barred from owning two football clubs in the PL, let alone all 20.

Get real, ffs.

In theory they wouldn't need to own any club. They could instead have a very unique sponsorship deal with the league and every club that gave them outsized leverage. These sorts of deals already happen, just not on the scale I'm suggesting.

4 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

There you go again. Your naivety is off the charts. BTW - it's absurd thinking like this that led to the humiliation of a bunch of American billionaires over the Super League fiasco. The sooner Americans realize that they cannot transpose their shitty, non-competitive "sporting|" model to European Football the better. That shit will never fly over here.

And as for those LIV cunts, you cannot for one second compare individual, greedy-ass golfers to entire football clubs.

I promise you owners of almost every club in Europe would take the Super League deal if they could get away with it. Shit, maybe they could have gotten away with it if they didn't approach it with a giant fuck you attitude. I'm aware sports fans in Europe are more resistant to these changes than fans here, but again, the money is telling you what it wants and the money almost always wins in the end. 

7 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Because their behaviors should demonstrate to you that the rich and powerful don't care about rules and norms. Same applies to the people who own the clubs.

In theory they wouldn't need to own any club. They could instead have a very unique sponsorship deal with the league and every club that gave them outsized leverage. These sorts of deals already happen, just not on the scale I'm suggesting.

You know what? Go for it. As you say, Apple have got the cash. And Americans can buy whatever the fuck they like. So why don't you put together a presentation? Maybe get Todd involved. I'm sure, between you, you'll be able to make a very compelling argument. One that nobody can resist.

5 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I promise you owners of almost every club in Europe would take the Super League deal if they could get away with it.

Were you off-planet when they tried it and got their balls handed to them by almost everyone in Europe who wasn't one of the breakaway owners? They won't be trying that again any time soon.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Don't be so dismissive. Look at Apple's value (nearly $3T) and compare that to what the PL makes annually and the overall value of all the clubs. They could buy every team at every level in England and not even notice the financial hit. But they wouldn't have to do that, they could just give each team a shit ton of money while taking over the central offices and you'd get the PL presented by Apple, only available if you purchase Apple+

To be honest, something like this is already in place, with PL not being broadcast on publicly broadcast TV, at least not in my neck of the woods.

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

I promise you owners of almost every club in Europe would take the Super League deal if they could get away with it. Shit, maybe they could have gotten away with it if they didn't approach it with a giant fuck you attitude. I'm aware sports fans in Europe are more resistant to these changes than fans here, but again, the money is telling you what it wants and the money almost always wins in the end. 

And that's quite a big "if", isn't it?

They would've most likely gotten away with it had they not gone for a closed league with team list set in stone and no relegation etc.

If, for example, Apple were to do what you propose, a lot of more involved fans would openly rebel. And guess what? Those casual fans that make the majority of fanbase would follow their lead. As a result, clubs revenues would take a significant hit from both ticket sales, merchandise sales, broadcasting money etc. and all of a sudden clubs taking the money wouldn't be as worth it as it initially seemed.

Let's get this straight. 

Apple cannot own the Premier League, because the Premier League is, in effect, owned by the clubs who compete in it.

And nobody - not Apple, not Amazon, not Elon fucking Musk - is allowed to own more than one club competing in the same league.

This thread is starting to give me nightmares.  Pepsi-Cola water break.  T-Mobile Man of the Match.  Samsung VAR review.  Emirates player substitution.  Amazon yellow card.  MetLife kickoff.  Apple FA cup final.  Tesla instant replay.

3 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

And nobody, not Apple, not Amazon, not Elon fucking Musk, is allowed to own more than one club competing in the same league.

Funny thing is that the same rule applies "across the Pond" and yet the concept continues to baffle our American friend.

Just now, Teng Ai Hui said:

This thread is starting to give me nightmares.  Pepsi-Cola water break.  T-Mobile Man of the Match.  Samsung VAR review.  Emirates player substitution.  Amazon yellow card.  MetLife kickoff.  Apple FA cup final.  Tesla instant replay.

You are aware that many broadcasters around the world do something similar? For example, last season every time someone got booked Serbian broadcasters showed a commercial banner at the bottom of the screen. Did something similar for goals, too.

4 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I watched the football from an American source last weekend, and there was an advert during the action!!  Obvious 45min halves are just a real issue

Yup, American football streams are horrible. Big massive popup adverts for guns or hemorrhoid cream, covering a third of the screen, during a counterattack. Ugh.

7 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Yup, American football streams are horrible. Big massive popup adverts for guns or hemorrhoid cream, covering a third of the screen, during a counterattack. Ugh.

I like it when they do split screen, so you can watch an advert during the action, in case you get bored.

Don't even get me started on American adverts, they are so bizarre to a Brit like myself, no shame whatsoever.

Archived