Football: Més que un thread - all boarders have been registered to post

A Horse Named Stranger

Having a look at players who left Real Madrid after being (sometimes very) successfull in Spain.

Ramos left to PSG at 34. Barely made in impact so far

Di Maria left at 25. After a terrible year with us, he's been excellent for PSG

K. Navas left (again, to PSG) at 31. He did well but GK is another stuff

Varane joined us at 28 and has been quite good when fit, thing is, he's injury prone

Ronaldo... we know

James Rodriguez left to Everton (says it all) at 29, after a two years loan at Bayern where he didn't play a lot IIRC

Bale is now playing golf in the US

--

Now Casemiro is joining us at 30. He's going to improve us for sure. But considering the above, let's not raise our expectations too high... unless I'm forgeting someone?

17 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

The Glazers...

There are many aspects of running the club and the team and United are doing quite a few of them wrong. Sure, some are down to Glazers but I'm not sure how involved they are in day-to-day stuff. They sure did invest enough in player signings (a billion pounds was mentioned over past 10 years) but I can't see them as the ones doing picking and choosing new players. They were probably keen on getting Cristiano Ronaldo because of all the marketing money he brings along but I don't think it likely they just HAD to have Maguire or Cavani or whoever else United brought in since Fergie left. I don't see them picking the tactics for the upcoming match either. As I said, they do have their share of the blame, but laying it all at their feet is just too simplistic for my liking.

2 minutes ago, baxus said:

There are many aspects of running the club and the team and United are doing quite a few of them wrong. Sure, some are down to Glazers but I'm not sure how involved they are in day-to-day stuff. They sure did invest enough in player signings (a billion pounds was mentioned over past 10 years) but I can't see them as the ones doing picking and choosing new players. They were probably keen on getting Cristiano Ronaldo because of all the marketing money he brings along but I don't think it likely they just HAD to have Maguire or Cavani or whoever else United brought in since Fergie left. I don't see them picking the tactics for the upcoming match either. As I said, they do have their share of the blame, but laying it all at their feet is just too simplistic for my liking.

The people doing the picking and choosing did not hire themselves. The Glazers hired an investment banker and hedge fund manager to do a job they were not qualified to do. 

13 minutes ago, baxus said:

There are many aspects of running the club and the team and United are doing quite a few of them wrong. Sure, some are down to Glazers but I'm not sure how involved they are in day-to-day stuff. They sure did invest enough in player signings 

Hang on a minute. Let's be clear. The Glazers haven't invested a single cent in Manchester United. Not one.

They bought the club with a leveraged buyout with mountains of debt going straight onto the club's balance sheet (how the fuck this is even allowed I will never know).

Since then they have done nothing but take money out.

Everything the club has spent on transfers has been generated by the club. The Glazers have put nothing in. They are literally vultures.

9 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

PL experience is overrated. The majority of the top players in the league had no previous PL experience.

This is true. But the number of Star Player Big Money Flops is not insignificant.

Just now, mormont said:

But it is a list of players who mostly had substantial PL experience when they were signed.

Good point.

Imma compile another list. Most expensive signings with no PL experience. For science.

29 minutes ago, baxus said:

As I said, they do have their share of the blame, but laying it all at their feet is just too simplistic for my liking.

I still have a lot to learn before I can fully breakdown their failures in the PL, but I can tell you as a long time NFL fan that the Glazers are known as shitty owners. The Bucs have won two championships in the 30 or so years the Glazers have owned the team, but the first was early on when they inherited a lot of their talent and the second recently was one of the flukiest things I've seen. The rest of the time they've been a bad club and typically long term failure is directly tied with bad owners. 

Liverpool fans should understand the impact of shitty owners more than most in the PL. Gillett and Hicks were not heavily involved in the day-to-day, picking new signings or interfering in match tactics but that didn't stop their shitty ownership from almost running Liverpool into the ground.

To pick just one way the Glazers are to blame, IMHO:

As owners, they clearly do not care a jot what the football strategy is. The biggest issue Man United have at the moment is that the dressing room is a shambles: that's why the players are less than the sum of their talents, that's why a series of managers have been unable to get the best out of those players. And you can link that to the fact that the players clearly know that the owners aren't serious about backing the manager, because they don't care about the footballing side of the operation. They're not invested, in any sense, in that part of the club.

In any organisation, if you have directors or governors or senior managers who don't care about what you do, you become demotivated. You cash the check and do the minimum. That's what is happening in the Man United dressing room.

2 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Just casting my eye down the list. It would appear that players signed for £50-£60m from outside the PL actually do quite well.

United for the league then?

I've long felt that any player over 80-100 million you are paying for the absolute best version of them. At best they are worth what you paid for them  (Ronaldo to Real being the only person I can think of at that price, who has improved after the move). 

Archived