Varys. Theory of Power

16 minutes ago, WolfgangII said:

But my point was that, inside the things Robb had control over, he made mistakes that, add on, cause him his demise. Just like everybody, really. I'm not saying he acted wrong (in hingsight is easier to point mistakes), but he misjudged the people around him. And I blame it to his inexperience. He was a green boy that everyone liked, with a werewolf at his side, that won his first battles, and people named him king. He believe people were more honorable or duty-bound that they were and he believe he had more time.

I agree completely. Unfortunately misjudging people seems to be a common trait for the current line of Starks. Ned, Catelyn, Sansa, Robb and to a lesser extent perhaps Jon suffer from this. You could even include Theon as a surrogate Stark in this number.

2 hours ago, Craving Peaches said:

I agree completely. Unfortunately misjudging people seems to be a common trait for the current line of Starks. Ned, Catelyn, Sansa, Robb and to a lesser extent perhaps Jon suffer from this. You could even include Theon as a surrogate Stark in this number.

Sure, and maybe it has something to do with they being insulate from the rest of the realm, except some Northern and close houses. I don't remember exactly how much contact the Stark boys had with the other Northern houses before Robert I visit Winterfell, but I'm positive they didn't interacted with Southern noble persons or visited anywhere below the Neck. Ned protected his family by insulate them, based on his family experience, but at the end, that hurt them. They were raised on a comfortable, noble, loving home and life came at them hard. It's not that I'm blaming Ned and Cat for not "harding" their children, is just an observation.

The point is about Varys making Aegon, Varys can make the type of king he wants he just has to wrap him in the cloaks of power that people recognise and accept.

It's true, and very important, but it's not the whole picture, self interest for example is as big a factor, you don't want to be on the losing team and the team with the biggest dragon probably looks the safest best.

Varys was talking about a specific scenario.  There is such a thing as might and real power.  Varys was talking about three equal contenders trying to convince a man with no principles.  It is rarely the way of it.  The stronger contender for power usually wins because they have assets which give them the means to take what they want by force. 

On 8/17/2022 at 6:36 PM, Craving Peaches said:

Robb disrespected and insulted a few of his followers. He was selfish and assumed he could get away with it. He pushed Walder and Karstarks too far.  

Archived