the next House of the Dragon thread

EggBlue

At the last premiere, Emily and Milly were giving me big 90s superstar vibes, with the former looking like she just stepped out of a Shania Twain video and the latter channeling early Britney Spears. Today’s premiere is giving me early-2000s vibes, with Emily dressed like J Lo and Milly like Taylor Swift. Take a look at the photos, it’s uncanny.

Apparently Elio just watched the first episode and seemed to enjoy it a tidbit more than the last couple of seasons of GoT.

As for my earlier complaints about Rhaenys' rambling about folks not suffering women on the throne:

Spoiler

Apparently it turns out that she says that after Viserys and Alicent's wedding, considering the prospect of Viserys fathering a son.

If that's true my context-lacking complaints were lacking context and substance ;-).

It is the same with

Spoiler

Corlys's talk about blood and names - apparently that's referencing the Velaryon boys he views as his grandsons despite them lacking Velaryon blood.

That doesn't really change my earlier assessment of the trailers, though. Didn't really enjoy them.

What we learned about the plot makes me look very much forward to the show, though. Black Velaryons aside, I might actually enjoy this more than GoT, all things considered.

2 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

Apparently Elio just watched the first episode and seemed to enjoy it a tidbit more than the last couple of seasons of GoT.

As for my earlier complaints about Rhaenys' rambling about folks not suffering on the throne:

Hide contents

Apparently it turns out that she says that after Viserys and Alicent's wedding, considering the prospect of Viserys fathering a son.

If that's true my context-lacking complaints were lacking context and substance ;-).

It is the same with

Hide contents

Corlys's talk about blood and names - apparently that's referencing the Velaryon boys he views as his grandsons despite them lacking Velaryon blood.

That doesn't really change my earlier assessment of the trailers, though. Didn't really enjoy them.

What we learned about the plot makes me look very much forward to the show, though. Black Velaryons aside, I might actually enjoy this more than GoT, all things considered.

Can you explain the Rhaenys part? I didn’t catch that.

7 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

LML and Elio both liked Daemon?... now I'm truly excited . honestly , after GoT ended I thought the idea of prequals insufferable ,considering it milking the material for more money . although they are technically aiming for as much money as possible from Asoiaf , it seems this time they are going for quality as well(let's face it , unlike last seasons of GoT) . especially that showrunners and cast both seem more experienced than GoT (Kit and Emilia were both on their first job as far as I remember which is far from Emma and Matt's resume'!) ... anyways , fingers crossed! 

4 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Can you explain the Rhaenys part? I didn’t catch that.

he's talking about the part in the trailer that Rhaenys tells Rhaenyra that the realm doesn't accept a queen and that's the order of things.

58 minutes ago, butterweedstrover said:

I said my guts were this is going to be liked, but if the opening scene is Daemon cutting off someone’s phallic member (like the rumors say) then I think it will lose a lot of people. 

Not because the scene itself is bad, but it might come off as the show trying too hard to be edgy right out the gate.

I heard it starts with the great counsel and shifts to Rhaenyra and Alicent talking in Gods Woods. 

Get back later to you guys. Just had an elbow operation and am effectively one-handed.

@Ran Lay out what's great about Daemon from your POV if you like. Recall that Linda wasn't happy with the cast.

I always thought the guy would nail the arrogance of the character.

40 minutes ago, Ran said:

Reviews and detailed commentary are embargoed until the show airs, so can't really expand on it. But I very much enjoyed his performance.

Aw so there won’t be any reviews until then? That’s a bummer. I was looking forward to reading them. Will it be lifted on August 21, or not until after the episode airs that night?

That's the embargo for those who saw this premiere in Europe, anyways. The screener situation is.... complicated for us, because we sort of straddle a bunch of the different branches of HBO Max and they never quite seem to know what to do with us. But we're talking with them.

Though, that said, we're not really going to review the show, as I think I've remarked. It doesn't quite seem right to me to review something that was created for TWoIaF. It'd be like reviewing my own book.

Yes. I've already discussed it from when it was just leaks. My opinion as to its applicability in ASoIaF remains the same. It's a show-only extension of a kernel of ASoIaF background to tie the show to GoT more firmly for casual viewers 

@Ran While we owe FaB to you and Linda - and I must say that I'm very grateful for this since a detailed description of that era was something I wanted very much - there are aspects of it that predate the work for TWoIaF. The Hightower link, for instance.

I understand why might feel reluctant to review things ... you should also keep in mind it very much remains George's story and is much larger than the TWoIaF version you wrote.

More importantly, the show creates real characters and hopefully a tantalizing plot. The history books are more outlines or guidelines describing (colorful) historical figures. Would be great to get some of your more detailed thoughts, especially the things you like.

4 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

Get back later to you guys. Just had an elbow operation and am effectively one-handed.

hope you'll get well soon

2 hours ago, Ran said:

Though, that said, we're not really going to review the show, as I think I've remarked. It doesn't quite seem right to me to review something that was created for TWoIaF. It'd be like reviewing my own book.

now, that's a bummer. I wish you guys changed your mind ... 

Archived