the next House of the Dragon thread

EggBlue

3 hours ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

In terms of acting maybe. But visually he isn't quite what many people imagined Daemon as.

Personal images aside, Daemon is never described as the best-looking man in Westeros. I get where those people are coming from, but there is leeway there. Vaegon also looked Valyrian but wasn't handsome.

The Dance material George wrote for TWoIaF is nearly word-for-word what was published in F&B. Only small changes were made. Yes, we compressed it for the final product, but still, George wrote it for the book. So I don't think it' be appropriate to review it. 

2 hours ago, Ran said:

The Dance material George wrote for TWoIaF is nearly word-for-word what was published in F&B. Only small changes were made. Yes, we compressed it for the final product, but still, George wrote it for the book. So I don't think it' be appropriate to review it. 

Weren't you considering to do videos where you discuss how you learned about certain aspects and just speak about them without actually reviewing episodes?

10 minutes ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

Weren't you considering to do able tovideos where you discuss how you learned about certain aspects and just speak about them without actually reviewing episodes?

Yes. That we are, we think, able to do in a reasonable way.

But seriously, what happened to Mysaria?! 

In the first teaser she was a big deal and everyone was talking about how cool she looked. Then she got one still and nothing. I haven't heard a peep from the actress and she either wasn't at any of the premiers or was never interviewed/photographed. 

I am especially confused because Sonoya Mizuno has her decent share of filmography behind her and adds diversity points to the cast.  

31 minutes ago, butterweedstrover said:

In the first teaser she was a big deal and everyone was talking about how cool she looked. Then she got one still and nothing. I haven't heard a peep from the actress and she either wasn't at any of the premiers or was never interviewed/photographed. 

I am especially confused because Sonoya Mizuno has her decent share of filmography behind her and adds diversity points to the cast.  

She's currently working on both a film and is also starring in an ongoing off-Broadway stage production of Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, which is why she's not been at the premieres or doing much press beyond the odd interview. She said the other day that she will be attending the London premiere on August 15th, though. Girl has just been booked and busy, so marketing opted to focus on boosting characters and actors that are available to be front and center. 

according to interviews (I don't know which one , I watched a summary in youtube) , House of the Dragon has developed 900 concepts for dragon appearances which I appreciate a lot:) back in GoT , although I was not familiar with the colorful dragons GRRM had envisioned , I found Dany's dragons unimpressive (although in all honesty , I found baby-dragons cute in S2!) . my favorite creatures back then were Direwolves who seemed to be more than beast-pets . namely Grey Wind seemed to have some personality which the dragons lacked right until the end where Drogon decided to burn the IT. now it sounds they have worked on dragons' personalities as well as their looks . in one of the interviews some of the actors talked about how dragons and their riders have the same character. something we've been wondering about book dragons . so I'm curious how they'll portray Laena Aemond Vaegar characters... especially that (if leaks are to be believed) we are going to get both Laena and Aemond's claiming of Vaegar. any thoughts?... also , I'm surprised to know they'll have Canniball in the show! what will be his role?! 

2 hours ago, EggBlue said:

according to interviews (I don't know which one , I watched a summary in youtube) , House of the Dragon has developed 900 concepts for dragon appearances which I appreciate a lot:) back in GoT , although I was not familiar with the colorful dragons GRRM had envisioned , I found Dany's dragons unimpressive (although in all honesty , I found baby-dragons cute in S2!) . my favorite creatures back then were Direwolves who seemed to be more than beast-pets . namely Grey Wind seemed to have some personality which the dragons lacked right until the end where Drogon decided to burn the IT. now it sounds they have worked on dragons' personalities as well as their looks . in one of the interviews some of the actors talked about how dragons and their riders have the same character. something we've been wondering about book dragons . so I'm curious how they'll portray Laena Aemond Vaegar characters... especially that (if leaks are to be believed) we are going to get both Laena and Aemond's claiming of Vaegar. any thoughts?... also , I'm surprised to know they'll have Canniball in the show! what will be his role?! 

As I recall, they have developed specific dragon "species" as well, which I think is going to add some interesting elements to speculation, particularly when it comes to the question of the heritage of Dany's dragons. Certainly, it wouldn't be the first time phenotypes were significant in GRRM's work ;)

The personalities is always something I've been curious about, and the emphasis on different types of dragons only increases that. It's been suggested at various points that the dragons take on the personalities of their riders, but I'd be interested to know if vice versa is also true, only that it hadn't really been noticeable for most cases because many of the Targ kids were merging with their dragons from birth where they were sleeping with their eggs (this said, Dany's personality begins to shift from the moment she receives her dragon eggs at her wedding). If so, then the question of the dragons' own motivations and agency comes into question, on top of the already demonstrated situation with Drogon having the foresight to melt the Iron Throne. Do the different species have different motivations of their own, in a similar manner to how the different human factions do? Do Cannibal and the wild Westerosi dragons differ from those brought from Valyria in more than just their unwillingness to accept riders? GOT made a point in series 7 of showing those cave paintings made by the Children of the Forest on Dragonstone - do/did they have a relationship with the Westerosi dragons that informs those dragons' behaviours? 

Reading online comments, it’s funny how many people think this is a prequel about Robert’s Rebellion.

They’re apparently cramming in the entirety of The Rogue Prince into the first season, including the battle above Storm’s End. With that in mind, I could easily see the entire show fitting into three seasons. The second season will probably end with Rhaenyra taking the throne, the third with the Regency. I don’t think they should devote too much time to the Regency, because by that time all the adult characters will be dead. Even as a book reader, I think that would make for a jarring tonal shift. The best option, in my opinion, would be to condense the timeline and have Viserys return shortly after the Hour of the Wolf. That would be a high note to end on, and it would still be enough to set up any potential future shows during the Aegon III - Aegon IV years.

4 hours ago, Landis said:

As I recall, they have developed specific dragon "species" as well, which I think is going to add some interesting elements to speculation, particularly when it comes to the question of the heritage of Dany's dragons. Certainly, it wouldn't be the first time phenotypes were significant in GRRM's work ;)

The personalities is always something I've been curious about, and the emphasis on different types of dragons only increases that. It's been suggested at various points that the dragons take on the personalities of their riders, but I'd be interested to know if vice versa is also true, only that it hadn't really been noticeable for most cases because many of the Targ kids were merging with their dragons from birth where they were sleeping with their eggs (this said, Dany's personality begins to shift from the moment she receives her dragon eggs at her wedding). If so, then the question of the dragons' own motivations and agency comes into question, on top of the already demonstrated situation with Drogon having the foresight to melt the Iron Throne. Do the different species have different motivations of their own, in a similar manner to how the different human factions do? Do Cannibal and the wild Westerosi dragons differ from those brought from Valyria in more than just their unwillingness to accept riders? GOT made a point in series 7 of showing those cave paintings made by the Children of the Forest on Dragonstone - do/did they have a relationship with the Westerosi dragons that informs those dragons' behaviours? 

yeah , I'm looking forward to see what they'll do with Dragons and their riders effect on each other . that's one of the most fun parts of the books to figure out if there's similarity between Daemon and Aemon ,for example, for riding Caraxes:) as for Long Night pictures in the caves,  personally, I hope they won't get any references from the show!

2 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Reading online comments, it’s funny how many people think this is a prequel about Robert’s Rebellion.

They’re apparently cramming in the entirety of The Rogue Prince into the first season, including the battle above Storm’s End. With that in mind, I could easily see the entire show fitting into three seasons. The second season will probably end with Rhaenyra taking the throne, the third with the Regency. I don’t think they should devote too much time to the Regency, because by that time all the adult characters will be dead. Even as a book reader, I think that would make for a jarring tonal shift. The best option, in my opinion, would be to condense the timeline and have Viserys return shortly after the Hour of the Wolf. That would be a high note to end on, and it would still be enough to set up any potential future shows during the Aegon III - Aegon IV years.

feels like Viserys's return should be the natural ending of the Dance. I don't know if they'll need to portray any of regency material though . as you say, there's a bit of a tonal shift between Dance and regency . all they'll need to do is show Aegon's coronation , change the coloring (or whatever they do to show passage of time) and show a ship delivering Viserys . and no need of distorting material;) 

I think regency can make hell of a show if properly adapted but I hope they'll go with Daeron1's reign after this.  Daeron's conquest may be more similar in tone with the Dance .. you'd have the same theme of war after a period of peace , you'd have two branches of family but this time with inner conflicts ( between Aegon and Aemon and probably Daeron, Daena , Baelor) , great characters and not to mention Dorne could offer a chance of diversity and portrayal of women in a less sexist society of Westeros .

18 hours ago, butterweedstrover said:

One hopes that all that doesn't mean there is an early exit for the character in the show.

Spoiler

According to the leaks, Otto has Larys Strong burn down Mysaria's manse in KL at the end of the first season. I thought that she would, of course, survive that, giving Mysaria her very own motivation in the Blood and Cheese affair ... but if the actress wanted to get out then the character might actually not survive this.

11 hours ago, Landis said:

Do Cannibal and the wild Westerosi dragons differ from those brought from Valyria in more than just their unwillingness to accept riders?

There are no Westerosi dragons in the books. Not anymore at least. They all died out/were killed in the Dawn Age, apparently.

The three wild dragons on Dragonstone are Targaryen dragons who hatched on the island, got out of the dragon yards and made their own lairs on the Dragonmount.

The only difference to the other dragons is that they are less accustomed to humans, and that less tolerant of humans messing around with them, making it very dangerous to try to claim them.

Dany's dragons are getting wild in ADwD. Drogon is pretty much a wild dragon when Dany mounts him, and Viserion and Rhaegal get wild after they escape their prison.

10 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Really ? I've seen no comments of that sort around. Since it's a GOT prequel, there is a certain logic to people thinking the show is about what happened just before GOT but those people clearly didn't watch the trailers because it's expressecialy written "200 years before".

12 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

One hopes that all that doesn't mean there is an early exit for the character in the show.

Nope the actress was just very busy this summer with filming. She is schedule to come at the London Premiere tomorrow and talked about her role in HOTD in a recent interview.

13 minutes ago, Thomaerys Velaryon said:

Really ? I've seen no comments of that sort around. Since it's a GOT prequel, there is a certain logic to people thinking the show is about what happened just before GOT but those people clearly didn't watch the trailers because it's expressecialy written "200 years before".

Olivia Cooke said it takes place 300 years before. 

1 minute ago, butterweedstrover said:

Olivia Cooke said it takes place 300 years before. 

She is still closer to the truth than those people. :D
Honestly I don't fault her for that regrettable slip, I'm sure she knows it's 200 years and not 300. That must be exhausting to repeat the same thing and answer the same questions over and over for the past month.

9 hours ago, EggBlue said:

yeah , I'm looking forward to see what they'll do with Dragons and their riders effect on each other . that's one of the most fun parts of the books to figure out if there's similarity between Daemon and Aemon ,for example, for riding Caraxes:) as for Long Night pictures in the caves,  personally, I hope they won't get any references from the show!

If we look at the dragons who have multiple riders…

Balerion - Aegon the Conqueror, Maegor the Cruel, Princess Aerea, King Viserys I

Vhagar - Queen Visenya, Baelon the Brave, Laena Velaryon, Aemond One-Eye

Dreamfyre - Queen Rhaena, Queen Helaena

Vermithor - Jaehaerys the Wise, Hugh Hammer

Silverwing - Good Queen Alysanne, Ulf the White

Caraxes - Prince Aemon, Daemon the Rogue Prince

Meleys - Princess Alyssa, Rhaenys the Queen Who Never Was

Seasmoke - Ser Laenor Velaryon, Ser Addam Velaryon

… we don’t see much of a pattern behind the dragons and their riders. Many, particularly Balerion, Vhagar, Dreamfyre, Vermithor and Silverwing, seem like they couldn’t have chosen riders with less in common. Yet Vermithor and Silverwing remain close after bonding with new riders, and I wouldn’t be surprised if they influenced how close Hugh and Ulf seemed to grow. And yet, Vhagar seems to have no qualms attacking Caraxes, when once (under Laena) she may have been very close to Caraxes. Daeron’s body is possibly still burning in his tent and Tessarion has already buggered off to seduce Seasmoke, while Vermithor seems to remain somewhat loyal to the dead Hugh’s allegiances. Would Vermithor have attacked Silverwing if Hugh willed it? Is Vhagar just a nasty dragon, who didn’t care to influence Aemond’s affections for Daemon and Caraxes? Was Syrax avenging the fallen dragons when she attacked the mob, or was she just hungry?

I’m very interested to see how much depth we get to the dragons’ personalities. The final events of the Dance make me fascinated with their psychology.

I just finished reading Fire and Blood. I was somewhat reluctant to get into it because while I love reading history, I wasn't terribly interested in pseudo-history.

Well, I'm impressed. It was a very engaging work, and I am now really looking forward to House of the Dragon. And from the pre-release reception, it sounds like it is being skillfully adapted to the screen.

What a vertiginous ride this will be. I do really hope that the story is adapted to completion.

Archived