the next House of the Dragon thread

EggBlue

14 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

Well, in the case of the Starks, the current Stark family appears to be out of place in the world of Westeros; they seem like your standard High Fantasy protagonists, ala Lord of the Rings, dropped into a medieval world run on realpolitik and virtue is weakness. If you've seen the Predator films, think about how the main characters are like Rambo carbon-copies... that get dropped into an Alien-esque film. The second Predator film replaces the Rambo-esque commandos with cops that wouldn't look out of place in Lethal Weapon (in fact the main character is played by the same actor who played Murtaugh).

I dunno, the Lord of the Rings is kind of interesting to note that a good chunk of it is about standard High Fantasy protagonists keep running into realpolitic and virtue is a weakness. Denethor and Theoden both being extremely compromised by these views. But it's also fun to note the regional stereotypes at play as well. The North is full of hard men and feels very Beowulf. The South is full of very soft people and feels Shakespearian. Essos, by contrast, feels like Robert E. Howard's Hyborian Age with its Sword and Sorcery grittiness.

15 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I keep hearing that there’s some kind of tribute to Daenerys at the beginning of the first episode, which is so weird. It’s like they want us to forget that she became a mass murderer who extinguished an entire city.

I mean, we all want to forget that nonsense.

So I'm claiming it here, the peasants had it coming.

13 minutes ago, C.T. Phipps said:

I mean, we all want to forget that nonsense.

So I'm claiming it here, the peasants had it coming.

Well, they were remarkably supportive of Cersei, but I put that down as one of the many plotholes.

Just now, Angel Eyes said:

Like the recap given at the beginning of Obi-Wan Kenobi?

I haven't watched it, but way less than a recap. 

More like a title card. "The year X, X years before event Y and person Z"

On 8/16/2022 at 7:49 AM, Ran said:

George was not campaigning against it, though he had doubts about a number of the "bake off" projects, including this one. He happened to be right, which HBO realized $30 million later.

He went and visited the Bloodmoon set when he was in Belfast, which I don't think many people know. Doesn't seem like something he'd have done if he wanted nothing to do with it or was rooting for it to fail.

Interesting. 

What do you make of his comments that the showrunner (or producer) on Bloodmoon had no clue about his books. Wouldn't that predispose him against the project or was it only something he figured out later?

45 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Well, they were remarkably supportive of Cersei, but I put that down as one of the many plotholes.

You also get one chance to surrender in Medieval warfare. If you don't, what happens next is on your leaders.

13 minutes ago, butterweedstrover said:

Interesting. 

What do you make of his comments that the showrunner (or producer) on Bloodmoon had no clue about his books. Wouldn't that predispose him against the project or was it only something he figured out later?

I hope we some day get a release of the pilot as an Easter Egg or DVD bonus feature.

18 minutes ago, butterweedstrover said:

Interesting. 

What do you make of his comments that the showrunner (or producer) on Bloodmoon had no clue about his books.

I recall a quote something like that, but it was about the five pitches in general (that not everyone knew the books) rather than specifically Bloodmoon.

I talked with Jane Goldman and her producing partner when Linda and I were hired to do some work for the show, and they seemed to have a good sense of what they wanted to know and how they wanted things to be. I'm not kidding myself and thinking they had a long-term deep knowledge of the books, but they seem to have done their research by the time we were brought on board.

45 minutes ago, C.T. Phipps said:

You also get one chance to surrender in Medieval warfare. If you don't, what happens next is on your leaders.

For sure.  Executing Missandei at a parley, and rejecting quarter, would fully justify a savage sack, to any medieval soldier.  And, the Northmen also had a ton of scores to settle.

6 minutes ago, SeanF said:

For sure.  Executing Missandei at a parley, and rejecting quarter, would fully justify a savage sack, to any medieval soldier.

On the other hand I'm surprised Cersei didn't have everyone (or at least Tyrion) shot with ballistae; it isn't like she isn't adverse to trying a move like that, just look at the Green Trial and her putting The Mountain on standby to kill everyone at the Dragonpit.

I fully expect HBO to do some kind of damage control for S8 as the spin-offs roll out, but if you’re going to make your female lead a homicidal maniac, you have to own it. That’s what I’ve found so jarring about all the marketing for GOT on HBO Max. Obviously they’re not going to give the ending away, but it’s all leaned so heavily on Daenerys the Hero that it’s like they’re trying to ignore the ending completely.

7 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I fully expect HBO to do some kind of damage control for S8 as the spin-offs roll out, but if you’re going to make your female lead a homicidal maniac, you have to own it. That’s what I’ve found so jarring about all the marketing for GOT on HBO Max. Obviously they’re not going to give the ending away, but it’s all leaned so heavily on Daenerys the Hero that it’s like they’re trying to ignore the ending completely.

They’re desperately wishing it had a different ending.

25 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

On the other hand I'm surprised Cersei didn't have everyone (or at least Tyrion) shot with ballistae; it isn't like she isn't adverse to trying a move like that, just look at the Green Trial and her putting The Mountain on standby to kill everyone at the Dragonpit.

Yes, that makes no sense.  Had she done so, Dany’s army and the  Northmen would have left nothing alive, but Missandei’s execution guaranteed that, anyway.

20 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I fully expect HBO to do some kind of damage control for S8 as the spin-offs roll out, but if you’re going to make your female lead a homicidal maniac, you have to own it.

They also have to own the fact that generations and generations of Targaryens somehow never had dreams about Arya Stark with a knife.

Archived