the next House of the Dragon thread

EggBlue

1 hour ago, Ran said:

I'll ban people talking about leaked episodes before they air. Only warning.

Wow I hadn't heard about that. Why are they so prone to leaks? I feel like no other show frachise has had this many episodes get out early.

At least this time there's probably little to spoil since I've read the whole story.  but I am curious which version of events the show will use for certain things.

10 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Wow I hadn't heard about that. Why are they so prone to leaks?

I think it's probably just because they get so much attention. It's HBO, after all. There's a lot of clout to be had for leaking their premium content, and this is at present the most anticipated show around. 

10 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I feel like no other show frachise has had this many episodes get out early.

Admittedly, some of them were genuine screw-ups. I think part of the issue is how HBO developed its international infrastructure, at first in partnership with local networks/cablers and then turning it into its own service. So the whole process of gettings things subtitled/dubbed was being handled by small, local companies with less oversight than, I'm guessing, the people working on content for Netflix or Amazon -- who are streaming-only -- do. And then there was the S2 episode where HBO Netherlands accidentally put it up early, and that was clearly just user error on the part of these various teams handling the fractured digital setup HBO has/had.

@Ran I don't know if you can answer this ... but I watched a review today about the first 6 episodes. according to the reviewer there's a discussion of a 12yr old's marriage to Viserys. is that Laena? is the show Laena younger than Rhaenyra?

1 minute ago, EggBlue said:

@Ran I don't know if you can answer this ... but I watched a review today about the first 6 episodes. according to the reviewer there's a discussion of a 12yr old's marriage to Viserys. is that Laena? is the show Laena younger than Rhaenyra?

From promo clips I’ve seen of the tourney when everyone is young, Laena and Laenor look younger than Rhaenyra, like they’re kids and she’s a teen

55 minutes ago, Jaehaerys Tyrell said:

From promo clips I’ve seen of the tourney when everyone is young, Laena and Laenor look younger than Rhaenyra, like they’re kids and she’s a teen

why would they do that ?!

12 minutes ago, EggBlue said:

why would they do that ?!

I guess to keep the reason as to why Viserys rejects Laena as his second wife. I mean, they do marry for dynastic purposes and the Targaryens would want to keep their blood pure and all. Laena is the obvious choice, even more so to put the Velaryon issue to rest. If she were a grown woman at that time they would be no pretext besides 'Alicent is SOOO HOT!' to stop that marriage from happening.

They might even switch the birth order of Laena and Laenor in the show, so that Laenor is closer in age to Rhaenyra than he would be if he were Laena's little brother.

1 hour ago, EggBlue said:

Was that Grace Randolph? I haven’t watched her review but I’ve seen people talking about it online. She apparently gave the show a positive review but felt that the show was a little too lax with how it portrayed child marriages/exploitation. And as we’ve talked about a lot on this site, this is one of the bigger criticisms of the books too.

58 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

I guess to keep the reason as to why Viserys rejects Laena as his second wife. I mean, they do marry for dynastic purposes and the Targaryens would want to keep their blood pure and all. Laena is the obvious choice, even more so to put the Velaryon issue to rest. If she were a grown woman at that time they would be no pretext besides 'Alicent is SOOO HOT!' to stop that marriage from happening.

They might even switch the birth order of Laena and Laenor in the show, so that Laenor is closer in age to Rhaenyra than he would be if he were Laena's little brother.

still 12 is too young. they could make it so that Alicent was a couple of years older or so, not 6years . and if they indeed have made Laenor the elder sibling , then he didn't need the child actor. besides, we're not gonna get enough of Laena and Laenor as it is ... make them children and all the opportunity could be lost . I mean Laenor's the only gay secondary character and Laena's friendship with Rhaenyra is one of the rare instances of female friendships in the books.

29 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Was that Grace Randolph? I haven’t watched her review but I’ve seen people talking about it online. She apparently gave the show a positive review but felt that the show was a little too lax with how it portrayed child marriages/exploitation. And as we’ve talked about a lot on this site, this is one of the bigger criticisms of the books too.

yes , I think.

Anyways, just finished watching it. I thought it was pretty mundane and passive for a premiere meant to hook in viewers.

The sex and gore was fine, I don’t know what I was thinking. After watching so much European stuff I had this exaggerated impression of what that would entail, good thing I was wrong. 

The lighting was too dark. The directing was choppy. Some scenes were too long like the progression into the red keep and others had too many cuts like the Daemon vs. Criston melee. 

The dialogue was overly mundane and focused on exposition. The one scene that might have been powerful was wasted on tin foil theory by Martin.  

The best scene was the tourney but they shouldn’t have spliced it with the pregnancy. I get the dichotomy of the different ‘battlefields’ but it didn’t work; the scene changes were abrupt and made it so that I couldn’t focus on what was going on. 

As for Criston Cole I wished his victory was taken as a bigger surprise and dwelled upon for a moment but the characters acted mostly disinterested. It fell in line with my overall problem which was how low key everything felt. 

The producers were playing it safe, and all the moments that could have been great were hampered by this rushed feeling as if we need to get to the next plot beat. 

Some of the best parts of GOT were the monologues and conversations like War Stories with Bobby B that mellowed the pace and felt relevant to the characters. 

Everything here dialogue related was plot heavy with little characterization (most of which was handled through the subtext). I love subtext but I felt outside of the Otto/Daemon feud most of it wasn’t well communicated.  

Like the later seasons of game of thrones the writers don’t feel confident enough to take risks and left everything in a carefully unsaturated tone.  

It was good, it was well produced, but it wasn’t particularly memorable. If I wasn’t familiar with the source material I wouldn’t feel the urge to go on. 

But this was just one episode. However given the three season target I am worried this trend is a driving philosophy behind the production. Fans will like the bits of lore, but for most casual viewers all that will go over their head. 

But, but, the girls (Alicent and Rhaenyra) did an excellent job with what they were given.

1 hour ago, butterweedstrover said:

The sex and gore was fine, I don’t know what I was thinking. After watching so much European stuff I had this exaggerated impression of what that would entail, good thing I was wrong.

I feel the nudity was actually quite tame except for the gratuitous background extras. Nothing you couldn't show on other networks.

7 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

The brief scene where Laena clutches Laenor’s sleeve for comfort seems to give more of a younger sister vibe, but there’s little to go on. 

Archived