Salman Rushdie Attacked On Stage

Myshkin

32 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

He’s in surgery apparently. Fingers crossed he’s okay.

A doctor who was at the event and went to Rushdie’s aid after the stabbing described his wounds as “serious but recoverable”. 

Don't wanna take anything away from the tragedy of Rushdie's attempted assassination anywhere, but just want to mention how unfortunate it also is this happened at the Chautaugua Institution - which is invaluable as a cultural and educational resource I grew up with.  If there were more places like it throughout this country we'd all be so much better off.  Very sad.

Its obviously very sad that this happened. One hopes he recovers well.

Apparently there had been no more personal security for him recently ( unclear if that was his own decision, possible) and that has apparently been noted by those who wish him harm.

Its making me look at his works actually, which of his books did you guys like the most? 

He seems to have quite a few interesting ones aside from Satanic Verses ( which also looks intriguing).

3 hours ago, Calibandar said:

Its obviously very sad that this happened. One hopes he recovers well.

Apparently there had been no more personal security for him recently ( unclear if that was his own decision, possible) and that has apparently been noted by those who wish him harm.

I’m pretty sure it was Rushdie’s own idea not to have personal security. I remember reading years ago about him making the decision not to live in fear.

3 hours ago, Calibandar said:

Its making me look at his works actually, which of his books did you guys like the most? 

He seems to have quite a few interesting ones aside from Satanic Verses ( which also looks intriguing).

Right now I think The Moor’s Last Sigh is a good one to read. It’s an absolutely brilliant novel, and it illustrates that Rushdie isn’t just some Islamophobic asshole, which is one of the attacks used to discredit him over the years. In Moor Rushdie goes after Hindu Nationalism every bit as hard as he’s ever gone after Islamic fundamentalism.

13 hours ago, DMC said:

Don't wanna take anything away from the tragedy of Rushdie's attempted assassination anywhere, but just want to mention how unfortunate it also is this happened at the Chautaugua Institution - which is invaluable as a cultural and educational resource I grew up with.  If there were more places like it throughout this country we'd all be so much better off.  Very sad.

Those were my first thoughts too, considering what the Chautagua Insitution began as, so long ago, and which it has labored to keep vital.  Not easy in these last decades of me.

7 hours ago, Calibandar said:

Midnight's Children is his greatest work.  Haroun and the Sea of Stories is his most accessible.  The Satanic Verses is probably the second-best, followed by Shame.  Avoid the books written in the last decade, sadly.  

It feels unkind to speculate, but this should be the year for the Nobel Committee to do what they should have done a long time ago (and what Rushdie has desperately craved).  His (earlier) work easily justifies it, as well as his championing of freedom of speech, and the cost he has paid all his life.  

21 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Midnight's Children is his greatest work.  Haroun and the Sea of Stories is his most accessible.  The Satanic Verses is probably the second-best, followed by Shame.  Avoid the books written in the last decade, sadly.  

It feels unkind to speculate, but this should be the year for the Nobel Committee to do what they should have done a long time ago (and what Rushdie has desperately craved).  His (earlier) work easily justifies it, as well as his championing of freedom of speech, and the cost he has paid all his life.  

Of the three novels he’s published in the last decade I’ve only read The Golden House, but I thought it was great. And his latest, Quichotte, is probably his best received novel since The Moor’s Last Sigh.

In regards to the Nobel Committee, the same thoughts crossed my mind as well. The Swedish Academy has shown a lot of cowardice about the Rushdie situation for decades, but maybe this will jolt them into finally giving the man his due.

9 hours ago, Calibandar said:

I've actually only read one, Midnight's Children, and it's one of my all-time favorites.

Very relieved to hear that it looks as if he'll pull through. 

Just been glancing at the early reactions to the fatwa. Ex-MP Keith Vaz (supporter of homeopathy, dodgy millionaires, lying to the House of Commons, and indigenous land clearances amongst other things) led a protest march calling for the book to be banned. With Vaz representing the idiots' wing of Labour, plenty of senior Tories weren't to be outdone. Geoffrey Howe, William Waldegrave, Thatcher and Norman Tebbit all laid into Rushdie and his novel, without apparently having read it. 

Tebbit:

How many societies, having been so treated by a foreigner accepted in their midst, could go so far as to protect him from the consequences of his egotistical and self-opinionated attack on the religion into which he was born?

I was about to say: at least a senior politician couldn't get away with that kind of remark today. Except, unfortunately, I think they could if they wanted to; but at the moment, suggesting that you're anti-Islam has more votes. 

Ahab Bdaiwai has a thread on Twitter summarising the place of the Satanic verses in Islamic theology. 

I haven't read Rushdie's work, but it is certainly on my list.

It is upsetting and frustrating that the Islamic religion maintains its presence of intimidation as it does. It is absurd to me that such a reactionary set of ideas has any place in modern society.

It's even more a problem that individuals, pressed with the belief that they are open-minded, hasten to defend this religion under the aegis of cultural sensitivity. Christianity is rightfully castigated and satirized on a regular basis (though it yet has an insidious influence in other ways); it would be well if Islam could join it at as a suitable subject for common mockery. Let people portray Muhammad however they will; should a Muslim find it offensive, they are free to avoid the work - it shouldn't result in a chilling effect on artistic expression. 

I wish more people and groups were willing to take a stand against Islam. I hope in my lifetime to see its reach diminish in this world, as I can really see nothing of value to that religion.

4 hours ago, IFR said:

It is upsetting and frustrating that the Islamic religion maintains its presence of intimidation as it does. It is absurd to me that such a reactionary set of ideas has any place in modern society.

The problem - and it does need to be confronted far more than most liberals are comfortable with - is with radical Islam, not the Islamic religion as a whole. 

4 hours ago, IFR said:

It is a mistake to imply the Fatwa issued by the Supreme Ayatollah of Iran speaks for everyone in “the Islamic Religion”, every Shia Muslim, or  everyone in Iran.  It is a piece of extremism from the leader of that nation and that sect of Islam… nothing more, nothing less.  It doesn’t indict all Muslims any more than it indicts all theists.

I sincerely hope Mr. Rushdie heals well and quickly and continues to write thought provoking and interesting literature.

Archived