US Politics - Breaking the Seal

Mlle. Zabzie

10 minutes ago, Larry of the Lake said:

If I was president I would simply make an executive order that all crimes I commit are instantly pardoned automatically.  

Yeah… that doesn’t work.  Also… it would be invalid upon leaving office.  Retaining these documents after leaving office is also a crime.  A crime Trump signed into law.

25 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Yeah… that doesn’t work.  Also… it would be invalid upon leaving office.  Retaining these documents after leaving office is also a crime.  A crime Trump signed into law.

Fun reminder that those making the laws typically assume they don't apply to themselves. 

9 hours ago, DMC said:

Hopefully he'll be ok.  It's crazy to me that his most recent attempted assassin is nearly a decade younger than Khomeini's fatwa on him.

You shouldn't.  I've always been fine with the Steelers, even a healthy respect. But their fans..especially those that don't live/aren't from Pittsburgh....unless you married into the Rooney/Mara family...

The Steelers were the football team for many of the Appalachian areas all the way down to at least North Carolina. Even after getting the Panthers, there are fair number of Steelers fans in the mountain regions. 

47 minutes ago, Matrim Fox Cauthon said:

The Steelers were the football team for many of the Appalachian areas all the way down to at least North Carolina. Even after getting the Panthers, there are fair number of Steelers fans in the mountain regions. 

That's not what I was referring to, even though they can be fucking annoying too.  

Anyway, to be clear I'm just teasing, never actually cared about sports team fandoms - especially kids.  I'll never have em, but now that I have a niece I tell her she can be whatever in the world she wants to be -- except a Republican.  That simply won't be permitted.

2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Yeah… that doesn’t work.  Also… it would be invalid upon leaving office.  Retaining these documents after leaving office is also a crime.

Ser Scot, no one told Trump that’s not possible. That’s not what he signed up for when he applied for the job.

Larry is correct.

Fox News used to have really low standards. Those standards are completely gone. They're trying to get this judge killed and laughing about it like a bunch of drunken frat boys.

Fox News' Brian Kilmeade clarifies that image of judge at center of Trump search warrant was a fake
“This depiction never took place & we wanted to make clear that we were showing a meme in jest," the Fox News host tweeted.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/08/12/florida-judge-fbi-search-of-mar-a-lago-anti-semitic-attacks-00051489

Fox News host Brian Kilmeade on Friday sought to clarify the news organization’s use of a fake image depicting Judge Bruce Reinhart, who signed off on the Mar-a-Lago search warrant, with convicted sex trafficker Ghislaine Maxwell.

Kilmeade was filling in for “Tucker Carlson Tonight” when the fake image was aired on Fox News. It showed a doctored photo of Reinhart receiving a foot massage from Maxwell.

“So a picture of Bruce Reinhart. This is the judge in charge of the... warrant. We’ll see if he’ll release it next. He likes Oreos and whiskey,” Kilmeade said Thursday night.

Now Kilmeade has released a statement on Twitter, telling viewers he wanted to make sure they were aware it “wasn’t real.”

“Last night while subbing for Tucker Carlson, we showed you an image of Judge Bruce Reinhart w/ Ghislaine Maxwell that was sourced on screen to a meme pulled from Twitter & wasn’t real,” the post said. “This depiction never took place & we wanted to make clear that we were showing a meme in jest.”

In jest, sure. Strange he didn't laugh.

Meanwhile, Ingraham yelled for purging the military, government etc. when "we" are back in power. They don't even try to pretend anymore.

And can't his lawyers be disbarred for lying in public?

Surely anyone with a background in the worlds of corporate policy, compliance, regulation, law, law enforcement, military - basically anyone who has to deal with regulation and control and compliance can now see that Trump is beyond the pale.

Even before any sort of trail, the evidence of boxes and boxes of confidential and proprietary and secret and compartmentalized documents being at MAL should be enough to turn the tide of opinion for people like this.  Surely.

Trump Lawyer Told Justice Dept. That Classified Material Had Been Returned
The lawyer signed a statement in June that all documents marked as classified and held in boxes in storage at Mar-a-Lago had been given back. The search at the former president’s home on Monday turned up more.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/13/us/politics/trump-classified-material-fbi.html?

At least one lawyer for former President Donald J. Trump signed a written statement in June asserting that all material marked as classified and held in boxes in a storage area at Mr. Trump’s Mar-a-Lago residence and club had been returned to the government, four people with knowledge of the document said.

The written declaration was made after a visit on June 3 to Mar-a-Lago by Jay I. Bratt, the top counterintelligence official in the Justice Department’s national security division.

The existence of the signed declaration, which has not previously been reported, is a possible indication that Mr. Trump or his team were not fully forthcoming with federal investigators about the material. And it could help explain why a potential violation of a criminal statute related to obstruction was cited by the department as one basis for seeking the search warrant used to carry out the daylong search of the former president’s home on Monday, an extraordinary step that generated political shock waves. . . . .

I've been reading interviews and discussions with the NYC Dem candidates for congress.  With each there's a lightning round of questions from a small panel of political 'journalists' from the NYT, of course.

The difference between the questions asked of the guy running in my district, and the likely woman running in my district, are like night and day.  The questions given the woman were very specific and about very specific local actions and events.  For him, pretty damned general.  They both got asked how Plan B worked.  The man didn't know what that referred to, the woman did.  When he was told what it was, he didn't know how it worked either. She did.

Guess which candidate the NYT told the Dems in my district to vote for.  :whip:

Americans Are Too Pampered and Neurotic to Fight a Civil War

There’s also the physical hardship of war to consider.

Are we, as a people, really going to fight each other on the beaches, in the fields, and in the streets? Shall we really fight in the hills, where there is no air conditioning? In the forests, without refrigerators? Do we hate each other enough to eat hardtack? To undergo battlefield surgeries? Who knows about foraging anymore? Can you start a fire with nothing but sticks? (And there’s no YouTube tutorial—they’d knock down the cell towers.) In the last two years, large swaths of the country declared their lungs too weak to breathe through a cotton cloth, while others insisted it was deadly dangerous to take an open-air walk on a beach without that same cloth.

Gun control advocates like to note that fantasies about fending off tyranny with our private arsenals are unrealistic because the U.S. military is so well-armed, to which gun rights activists respond by pointing at places like Afghanistan, where insurgents can frustrate that same military for decades with small arms and guerilla tactics. And that’s true, but how many of us can do what those insurgents do? We don’t have traditional farming and survival skills. We can’t live in caves. We had a multi-month national discourse about toilet paper shortages.

Archived