US Politics - Breaking the Seal

Mlle. Zabzie

7 minutes ago, DMC said:

Ironically right now you wanna root for Palin to stay in second.  It's possible enough Begich voters have Peltola as their second choice to put the latter over the top.  But if Begich comes in second and Palin is eliminated, her voters almost certainly have Begich as their second choice.

Right now ABC has Palin beating Begich be about five thousand votes or three percent with 67 percent of the expected vote reporting...

Yep. Apparently most of the missing election day vote are from heavily Alaskan Native precincts, which means Peltola's lead pre-ranked sorting is likely to grow. Although there is the risk that the Republicans in those areas will be able to put Begich over Palin for second place; but I think there probably aren't enough Republicans.

No telling what the remaining mail-in vote looks like.

On 8/15/2022 at 8:29 PM, Mindwalker said:

Speaking of penises... I just expanded my vocab: BDE! Because that's what Keri Lake told her fans in public what TFG and DeSatan  have! Ah, American politics. Never a dull moment.

I had to look that up, thank-you no thanks!

55 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

RE: GOP fundraising, I thought I read it's at an all-time low right now.

Yes, trump is stealing a meaningful amount of it, and the Democrats have a cash advantage in most races.  That doesnt make that big a difference, but it's better than the Democrats being the cash strapped ones.

3 hours ago, LongRider said:

Didn't know this had happened, good news!

Last couple years I was with USPS, the ridiculous 'pay off everything into the future' provision was being pretty much ignored anyhow. I told my lovely young daughter that if her son, then three years old, was to join USPS at her age, then retire at my age, his pension was paid for as of NOW. She thought I was joking.

That said, in my experience, the USPS field hands - the clerks and carriers and rural route contractors - work their butts off. Upper-level management, though, is highly dysfunctional...to put it politely. Constant calls for this or that cost cutting measure and insistence on rules that hamper mail delivery - yet there was never any shortage of very highly paid upper management types with ill-defined positions that seemed only sort of related to mail delivery,

DeSantis sued by prosecutor he fired for refusing to prosecute abortion cases. Be interesting to see how this turns out, as it's framed as a freedom of speech issue. Most of the comments are against DeSantis (no surprise, considering the source) and the ones in support tend to rely on technical interpretations of Florida's constitution.

Ron DeSantis Sued by Prosecutor He Suspended Over Florida Abortion Ban (msn.com)

The complaint, filed in the US District Court for the Northern District of Florida, argues DeSantis overreached his authority and violated Warren’s First Amendment rights, and it asks the court to restore Warren to his elected office, his attorney, J. Cabou of Perkins Coie, said at a news conference.

“The courts have been very clear that the First Amendment protects elected officials, just like it protects all of us, and to some extent protects elected officials even to a greater degree because it is the job of an elected official to speak out on matters of public importance so that the voters who elect them can judge their criteria,” Cabou said.

Warren, a Democrat, was first elected state attorney for Florida’s 13th Judicial Circuit in 2016.

There are mailpeople on the routes of the neighborhood where I live who have been delivering here nearly as long as we've lived here.  They are part of the neighbohood.  Many of us who are long-term residents are fortunate enough to be able to chat and pass a bit of the day with them.  They know everything about the neighborhood, btw.  But they do not gossip, I am told.  I've never tried to get them to myself, but several of our neighbors have -- and still do, and they pass along that  "... just won't talk!"

Just now, Zorral said:

There are mail people on the routes of the neighborhood where I live who have been delivering here nearly as long as we've lived here.  They are part of the neighbohood.  Many of us who are long-term residents are fortunate enough to be able to chat and pass a bit of the day with them.  They know everything about the neighborhood, btw.  But they do not gossip, I am told.  I've never tried to get them to myself, but several of our neighbors have -- and still do, and they pass along that  "... just won't talk!"

There are rules of sorts. Customers are not supposed to be standing next to the cluster box when the mail is being put up, and the carriers prefer silence. Get to talking, that can lead to distraction, which leads to mail getting missorted. Direct USPS carriers stick to these rules closer than rural contractors.

I used to talk with the customers on my route, especially at a couple places with 60+ boxes - but not while putting in the mail.

26 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

DeSantis sued by prosecutor he fired for refusing to prosecute abortion cases. Be interesting to see how this turns out, as it's framed as a freedom of speech issue. Most of the comments are against DeSantis (no surprise, considering the source) and the ones in support tend to rely on technical interpretations of Florida's constitution.

Ron DeSantis Sued by Prosecutor He Suspended Over Florida Abortion Ban (msn.com)

The complaint, filed in the US District Court for the Northern District of Florida, argues DeSantis overreached his authority and violated Warren’s First Amendment rights, and it asks the court to restore Warren to his elected office, his attorney, J. Cabou of Perkins Coie, said at a news conference.

“The courts have been very clear that the First Amendment protects elected officials, just like it protects all of us, and to some extent protects elected officials even to a greater degree because it is the job of an elected official to speak out on matters of public importance so that the voters who elect them can judge their criteria,” Cabou said.

Warren, a Democrat, was first elected state attorney for Florida’s 13th Judicial Circuit in 2016.

Sounds like DeSantis tried to 'cancel' this prosecutor. Will the Bill Mahers of the world take notice? I somehow doubt it.

33 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

There are rules of sorts. Customers are not supposed to be standing next to the cluster box when the mail is being put up, and the carriers prefer silence. Get to talking, that can lead to distraction, which leads to mail getting missorted. Direct USPS carriers stick to these rules closer than rural contractors.

I used to talk with the customers on my route, especially at a couple places with 60+ boxes - but not while putting in the mail.

That cannot happen in my neighborhood, due to how it is set up.  The carriers go into the building -- they have the keys/codes -- and put in the mail.  It's outside, while having lunch, catching some sunshine, unlocking the doors, just passing each other, and so on.  They/we don't chat while the mail goes into the boxes.

Opinion: The IRS is getting a big financial boost. Republicans are not happy about it

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/17/opinions/irs-taxes-funding-increase-inflation-reduction-87000-michel/index.html

As with recent Republican attacks against the FBI -- the party's anti-IRS rhetoric has reached fever pitch. Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) tried to scaremonger about an IRS "shadow army" coming to "hunt you down and take your money."

Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) even suggested on "Fox & Friends" last week that IRS workers armed with assault rifles would be deployed against taxpayers. He and other Republicans have falsely tossed around the number 87,000 as the size of this supposed army of agents.

"Are they going to have a strike force that goes in with AK-15s already loaded, ready to shoot some small-business person in Iowa?" the longtime senator asked. "With 87,000 additional employees, you can imagine what that harassment's going to be to middle-class Americans and our small business people.
Democrats said such rhetoric is false and inflammatory.

DeSantis is truly busy: 

https://www.advocate.com/news/2022/8/12/florida-eliminates-medicaid-coverage-gender-affirming-care

I can see him run successfully for the Repubs for President. Every single aspect of uber conservative political points seems to be achieved by this dude. Education, healthcare, reproductive rights, economic stability for his state. And if he hasn’t achieved the states goal yet, he’s certainly not giving up but pushing harder.

Note: gender dysphoria treatment won’t be covered not only for under 18 but anyone for FL Medicaid. So it’s a general trans targeted policy.

(a) Florida Medicaid does not cover the following services for the treatment of gender dysphoria:

1. Puberty blockers;

2. Hormones and hormone antagonists;

3. Sex reassignment surgeries; and

4. Any other procedures that alter primary or secondary sexual characteristics.

Archived