[Spoilers] Episode 101 Discussion

Ran

4 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Part of me thinks that HBO is hoping to reboot GOT within the next few years (knowing George, he probably thinks he’ll have the books finished by then), which will retroactively make all this prophecy stuff satisfying. But that’s a pretty big gamble.

Absolutely, it would be a massive undertaking. My biggest issue is how they would deal with the fact that Season 1 was a mostly faithful adaptation of AGoT? Do a beat-for-beat remake? Plus, Ned's death and the Red Wedding wouldn't have the same impact a second time, and one of the most popular episodes, Hardhome, just... wouldn't happen, etc. So yeah, it definitely wouldn't be a walk in the park. 

56 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

Let's go through the ten adult dragons who were alive in 101 AC, according to the intro:

Vhagar, Dreamfyre, Vermithor, Silverwing, Meleys, Caraxes only make six. Balerion should already be dead, but he could have been still alive at that point in the show, dying only after Viserys was made Heir Apparent or even king.

That would make seven.

Syrax was given little Rhaenyra, meaning she either came from an egg or was a hatchling at that time, meaning she wouldn't really be an adult dragon at that time.

For Seasmoke goes something similar. If those two were already adults we would get to nine dragons, not ten.

Did I forget a dragon? Wild dragons would likely not count as 'dragons under the yoke' of House Targaryen.

It's possible they've aged up some dragons like they did people. Maybe Sunfyre is another of the ten.

18 hours ago, Ran said:

I talked to Ryan about the scene and how much I liked the juxtaposition, and he said that that was thanks to George -- he's the one who suggested it.

It was also a good call-back to Queen Aemma's "women were made to fight their battles in the birthing bed" line earlier in the episode. 

6 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Part of me thinks that HBO is hoping to reboot GOT within the next few years (knowing George, he probably thinks he’ll have the books finished by then), which will retroactively make all this prophecy stuff satisfying. But that’s a pretty big gamble.

I doubt HBO think they can reboot GOT any time soon. Sure, the last season sucked, but the rest (even season 7 surpringly) was still more liked than disliked from what I found online, with many (from what I have read) considering the first 4 among the very best in television history. So essentially you would be going through the same things, with the only things you can change in the earlier years being adding more characters and thus costs, to a story that anyone who wants to see it, will have seen (they just added higher quality episodes on MAX awhile ago). Just seems like a big money risk when, if this goes well, you could just further the spin-offs.

I would watch, sure, but I doubt it's worth reworking such a big, expensive project that did so much right. Let alone recasting the popular characters  for a show that was beloved and that even new viewers will probably watch now after seeing HOTD, can't imagine that going over well so quickly after it. 

But down the line, they could, for sure. Especially if they don't acquire some other IPs and Game Of Thrones remains among their best. 

They won't reboot it because people STILL watch Game of Thrones more than almost anything else on HBO.

https://winteriscoming.net/2022/04/27/game-thrones-second-demand-show-hbo-max/

South Park is the only show that is watched more on HBO streaming than GOT.

Edited by C.T. Phipps

18 hours ago, Slurktan said:

I quite liked the episode and actors and acting up until that end scene.  There is literally no need for tying that in unless this show is supposed to be running through the Dunk and Egg stuff.  Otherwise pretty pointless.

That was some lame ass, poorly worked shit right there, i felt dumber listening to that.

And as someone mentioned before in the Hbo universe some teenager ninja ended winter, making it even more cheap.

God they are already dumbing it down here and there, so here we go again.

Has there ever been a re-make of a live action show that essentially covers the same plot beats as its predecessor? BSG was remade, but it's a completely different show. A show like Hawaii 5-0 can be remade, but that's because it's a procedural. And even those shows were made decades after the original.

There's no way HBO will remake Game of Thrones. And if they did and the only incentive was "we've added more characters and made things more complicated just to please some book purists," it would completely fail.

I know some book fans also don't want to hear this, but Game of Thrones is already one of the most faithful TV/movie adaptations of all time, at least until D&D realized they would have to get to the ending by themselves in season 5.

Edited by Caligula_K3

First episode was solid! For sure more to like than to dislike. Just hope (since the what's to come video by HBO kinda hinted at it) that this won't become a story about the Targaryens (or more so the Blacks) being the destined saviors to the world, especially since they won't be doing any saving in this story, and it seems a bit cheap to me to make Rhaenyra the hero of the story because of this. Also think the complete 180 that Viserys makes on his daughter seems a bit odd, could have given that some more time to breathe (or at least a bit more scenes). I get they are trying to press the issue in the council, as they want to avoid Daemon getting it, so maybe I am nitpicking a bit. Loved the council meetings and to have Westeros back on tv is always a plus.

Reaction seems very positive online, so they certainly seem to have gotten it right for the most part. 

2 minutes ago, Chancho said:

That was some lame ass, poorly worked shit right there, i felt dumber listening to that.

And as someone mentioned before in the Hbo universe some teenager ninja ended winter, making it even more cheap.

God they are already dumbing it down here and there, so here we go again.

Wait until the rest of the White Walkers come back in Snow.

After all, maybe it was only the Night's King's forces that they wiped out.

11 minutes ago, C.T. Phipps said:

Wait until the rest of the White Walkers come back in Snow.

After all, maybe it was only the Night's King's forces that they wiped out.

Man, I'm gonna laugh my ass off watching that comedy. I hope they get to release it and fail miserably.

58 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

Absolutely, it would be a massive undertaking. My biggest issue is how they would deal with the fact that Season 1 was a mostly faithful adaptation of AGoT? Do a beat-for-beat remake? Plus, Ned's death and the Red Wedding wouldn't have the same impact a second time, and one of the most popular episodes, Hardhome, just... wouldn't happen, etc. So yeah, it definitely wouldn't be a walk in the park. 

It would feel so weird. The only comparison I can make is the anime FMA and FMA Brotherhood. 

1 minute ago, sifth said:

It would feel so weird. The only comparison I can make is the anime FMA and FMA Brotherhood. 

If everything goes well, they can live off of spinoffs for a maximum of 15 years to come, and maybe in 30 years they can redo the whole thing. 

The main section of the audience has to completely change, otherwise it just becomes a comparison.

If they were to redo it in just a few years, some actors could still play the same role, which is insane and absurd. Won't happen if you ask me.

15 minutes ago, Daeron the Daring said:

Man, I'm gonna laugh my ass off watching that comedy. I hope they get to release it and fail miserably.

I have high hopes for it because I'm hoping that they'll base the show on the excised book material:

* Val

* Mance faking his death

* Alys Karstark

* Lady Stoneheart

* Victarion Greyjoy

* Arianne Martel

Lots of stuff to rip off.

19 minutes ago, Daeron the Daring said:

If the Jon Snow sequel happens, I'll riot. They might as well have Jon save Westeros from an invasion of Walter White Walkers.

Edited by Takiedevushkikakzvezdy

5 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

If the Jon Snow sequel happens, I'll riot. They might as well have Jon save Westeros from an invasion of Walter White Walkers.

I mean George says it's happening and it's been in development since House of the Dragons.

5 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

Regarding the erotic murals - it shows how prudish and Victorian people are becoming these days when that's a sign of decadence. I context I imagine we can credit Queen Aemma with those decorations, considering Queen Alicent will do away with them later on to make the Red Keep properly chaste and pious.

I think there are two things I should say about this:

1) Victorian people (despite what they might have claimed) were not really prudish; they wanted to appear so, but they still had those dirty most people have, and did and enjoyed even dirtier things.

2) Speaking as someone with a low sex drive, I find those murals quite in bad taste if you want to present yourself (as the king) as having royal dignity. Not everyone who does not enjoy erotic murals is a prude. In fact, I'd say some people are becoming less 'prude' if anything these last few years.

Edited by zajaz