[Spoilers] Episode 101 Discussion

Ran

1 hour ago, Lady_Qohor said:

I don't see how they can and for it to fit into the rest of the story, but I can't think of a reason why they would bring up this prophecy if it wasn't going to play a bigger part later on. 

One thought I did have,  that I hope doesn't come true is that Rhaenrya spends the start of the war, stuck on Dragonstone, recovering from childbirth. That may not make for great TV, so the writers might decide to send her North to tackle a new Wight walker threat. The implication being that Rhaenrya damages her chances of getting the Throne (and maybe her sanity) in order to save the realm, drawing a parralell with Daenerys. 

I hope that's not what happens, its lazy writing and I prefer my targaryens (and other fictional Lords) to be selfish rather than noble

So much emphasis was put on the prophecy and Viserys made it seem like the most important thing in the episode and clearly that's the idea the showrunners were trying to give us. I really feel like the bad end of game of thrones is going to be redone. By the end of the season I think that will become more apparent. 

Edited by Sothoryosdragon

6 minutes ago, Sothoryosdragon said:

So much emphasis was put on the prophecy and Viserys made it seem like the most important thing in the episode and clearly that's the idea the showrunners were trying to give us. I really feel like the bad end of game of thrones is going to be redone. By the end of the season I think that will become more apparent. 

Yea, they may have Rhaenyra make the trip to Winterfell with her son Jace, or perhaps even in lieu of her son Jace.  God I hope this thing doesn't completely go off the rails like GOT.

ETA sorry I meant to respond to @Lady_Qohor

Edited by Frey family reunion

9 hours ago, C.T. Phipps said:

I have no idea what that even means and I don't want to give them clicks.

Like I said before, that’s one tiny snippet out of a full review.

Pivoting now, I’ve noticed that young Rhaenyra wears a lot of gold and young Alicent wears a lot of blue. I guess we’re going to see them evolve from this to black and green.

Edited by The Bard of Banefort

15 minutes ago, Sothoryosdragon said:

I mean, they're not going to redo it. They're probably going to continue with it in Snow, though.

1 hour ago, BlackLightning said:
  Hide contents

Are you sure? Doesn't she feed Vaemond Velaryon to her dragon.

Only his corpse. Daemon executes him on her command, though.

1 hour ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

This is why I don’t really buy the argument that “everyone was bad” in the Dance. There’s a difference between being a neglectful ruler like Robert and a monstrous one like Maegor. 

Hide contents

And on the show, it sounds like Rhaenyra has been whitewashed and Aegon has been turned into even more of a lout. 

I think the show might go with longer arcs, so Rhaenyra starts at a high point and may be drawn down into the dirt to a point by circumstances, etc. while Aegon II might actually have been some kind of emancipation arc until he ends up back in Alicent's clutches. His personal story might be one to overcome his vices to a point and although he won't become a good king, one imagines, he might at least gain some stature.

Earlier I wondered how they are going to use Blackfyre in the show - it is completely absent from the book as a prop, we don't even know who has it after Aegon II is deposed - and something I'd like to see is this Rhaenyra using it to personally execute the highborn traitors on the Green Council (Otto, Ironrod). It would give her and the royal sword a more prominent role.

55 minutes ago, Frey family reunion said:

One of the youtube videos I watch, had a pretty interesting take on Alicent reading to Jahaerys.  F&B specifically noted that Alicent was reading Septon Barth's book Unnatural History.  The suggestion was that Alicent may have had an ulterior motive for using her postiion of caretaker to Jaehaerys to gain access to the information in the book.  

Sounds like tinfoil to me since before Baelor's burnings a book written by a former Hand and the best friend of the Old King wouldn't exactly be rare or hard to find. It should have been in many a library in the Seven Kingdoms, never mind whether the owners of those libraries actually believed in magic or not.

14 minutes ago, Frey family reunion said:

Yea, they may have Rhaenyra make the trip to Winterfell with her son Jace, or perhaps even in lieu of her son Jace.  God I hope this thing doesn't completely go off the rails like GOT.

Beyond the Wall stuff might come up in Jace's talks with Lord Cregan, of course. But from what we know from the reports

Spoiler

Rhaenyra is not going to accompany him.

I'd like it if they included Sara Snow and went with the version where she and Jace actually married. That could add tension, especially if the girl were flying back to Dragonstone with Jace. Hell, they could even make Daenaera Velaryon their child. In the books she is born in 127 AC, having her born late in 129 AC could work just as well.

59 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

A show focusing on just one (popular) character. Which is seemingly what we'll get with the Jon Snow sequel.

Am I the only one who is dreading the Jon Snow sequel?

1 hour ago, C.T. Phipps said:

I have no idea what that even means and I don't want to give them clicks.

LMFAO me neither

29 minutes ago, Lady_Qohor said:

I don't know if dreading is the right word for me. I kind of see it as a weird well-funded fanfic project (rather than part of the ASOIAF canon) and fanfic can range from great to mediocre to truly dire.

My biggest hope for SNOW will be that it will be where they use as much of the discarded Martin material as possible.

11 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

Based on the first episode of HotD, my impression is that Condal is the "fans" guy and Sapochnik is the "general audience" guy, and they try to find the middle ground working together.

Meh.

The general audience guy failed in his last directorial outing in Game of Thrones so I think he should not have that much of say. "The Long Night" was poorly directed and the cinematography was more or less atrocious...the worst I have ever seen in any big-budget project.

I finally spoke with some friends who were GoT-only fans or were book fans who have not read F&B yet . turns out , HOTD does have a hook for a general audience (at least for the ones I spoke to) . not only that, after I described how F&B is written, some were excited to read the book in the mean time . Gold Cloaks scene was not initially understood as I had imagined but the next scene seemed to have cleared everything out .surprisingly , despite lack of consensus over "heir for the day" thing, everyone more or less has a positive opinion of Daemon after the episode is over! although, most had disliked him at first. Rhaenyra turns out as a likeable character but the favorites are Alicent and ser Criston Cole!! also , no one had much of a problem with the tourney and they thought it's not different from GoT. 

5 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

I'd like it if they included Sara Snow and went with the version where she and Jace actually married. That could add tension, especially if the girl were flying back to Dragonstone with Jace. Hell, they could even make Daenaera Velaryon their child. In the books she is born in 127 AC, having her born late in 129 AC could work just as well.

I mean, that does make an awkward situation, unless they do not adapt the material faithfully and decide that Baela isn't deeply in love with Jace.

I'm also wondering what'll happen to Daeron. He will be basic and boring unless they pimp him up with some extra storylines.

Edited by Daeron the Daring

4 hours ago, BlackLightning said:

The general audience guy failed in his last directorial outing in Game of Thrones so I think he should not have that much of say. "The Long Night" was poorly directed and the cinematography was more or less atrocious...the worst I have ever seen in any big-budget project.

I mean, the fight/birth intercutting was his idea, so he definitely has a say. He's one of the showrunners, so it would be weird if he didn't.

Edited by Takiedevushkikakzvezdy

7 minutes ago, Daeron the Daring said:

I mean, that does make an awkward situation, unless they do not adapt the material faithfully and decide that Baela isn't deeply in love with Jace.

I think they could play up this whole thing more to cause friction in the Black camp. Much better than Corlys being pissed that his wife died in battle. Even more so since I expect that Rhaenyra is going to accompany Rhaenys to Rook's Rest (and Jace as well, I imagine). I think Rhaenys is going to sacrifice herself to save Rhaenyra from Vhagar/Aemond.

The book version makes the Blacks look kind of stupid there. And the show Rhaenyra has to fly Syrax more in battle.

7 minutes ago, Daeron the Daring said:

I'm also wondering what'll happen to Daeron. He will be basic and boring unless they pimp him up with some extra storylines.

I think there is considerable potential there. I think Daeron being away from court has the potential to have him start as a guy who wants to restore the peace and eventually fails at that. He could refuse to ride Tessarion in war until Oldtown itself is threatened by the Black Reach lords. Playing up Baela/Rhaena there could even be attempts to win him to the Black side by ways of a betrothal to Rhaena (or Baela, if Jace were indeed married to Sara Snow) in the wake of Luke's death.

I think the Oldtown story should slowly develop. Lord Ormund trying to call his banners - more than half his bannermen and others declaring for the Blacks. Oldtown being besieged. Then Daeron saves the day with Tessarion. Then the Hightower marching out to restore the peace but slowly developing into something else entirely.

22 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

Playing up Baela/Rhaena there could even be attempts to win him to the Black side by ways of a betrothal to Rhaena (or Baela, if Jace were indeed married to Sara Snow) in the wake of Luke's death.

I guess having him being romantically involved with one of them would looks good on screen. Considering there really was literally noone from the two sides who didn't care about hardcore factionalism and let themselves fall into a relationship, he'd be a good candidate. Of course there was Jace who asked for a dance from Helena, but other than that, really noone ever even tought of someone from the other side as a person. Thou not sure how that could work out. Daeron is supposed to be squiring at Oldtown, and Baela/Rhaena aren't living at court anyway. But in case they're aged up... Who knows. It's something I too was thinking of. 

Spoiler

Bonus question to everyone: I know it'd be cliche, but if we get Aegon III and Jaehaera marrying, do you think they shouldn't kill off Jaehaera? I mean, it's just unnecesary in every way possible, and horror for the sake of it. The two branches would unite and they live happily ever after or something. Probably won't happen but makes more sense than what actually happened in FnB.

Edited by Daeron the Daring

1 minute ago, Daeron the Daring said:

I guess having him being romantically involved with one of them would looks good on screen. Considering there really was literally noone from the two sides who didn't care about hardcore factionalism and let themselves fall into a relationship, he'd be a good candidate. Of course there was Jace who asked for a dance from Helena, but other than that, really noone ever. Thou not sure how that could work out. Daeron is supposed to be squiring at Oldtown, and Baela/Rhaena aren't living at court anyway. But in case they're aged up... Who knows. It's something I top was thinking of.

From what the reports say,

Spoiler

Rhaenys' role is also increased in the show, so I expect something similar is going to happen for Baela/Rhaena. They already have a slightly larger role insofar as they go with Rhaena's egg not hatching and her wanting to claim Vhagar after her mother's death, causing the entire quarrel between the boys. That feels like a great addition.

1 minute ago, Daeron the Daring said:
  Hide contents

Bonus question to everyone: I know it'd be cliche, but if we get Aegon III and Jaehaera marrying, do you think they shouldn't kill off Jaehaera? I mean, it's just unnecesary in every way possible, and horror for the sake of it. The two branches would unite and they live happily ever after or something. Probably won't happen but makes more sense than what actually happened in FnB.

That would depend on when exactly they end the show. As I said, Daenaera Velaryon could easily enough work as Jace's daughter by Sara Snow.

If they end it with Aegon III's formal coronation then they don't have to bother with Jaehaera's later death, although they could mention it in some epilogue.

What has to be included in some fashion, I think, is Viserys' return from Lys - regardless whether him surviving is a surprise to the audience or whether we get some scenes with him in Lys, creating the mystery if and when he might return to Westeros.