[Spoilers] Episode 101 Discussion

Ran

5 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

Yes, that's why I've started calling him 'Mr. Crown'.

And speaking about Otto and Viserys - their relationship could work better if we understood why Viserys trusted Otto as much as he did. Have they some backstory together?

Pretty sure book Corlys never fell in love with Rhaenys. She was sixteen years old and he a man who had seen the entire world ... and who had had at least one love earlier who he lost.

For the show they can make it a love match on his part, too, I guess.

Young as Rhaenys was, she made quite an entrance to her wedding with Corlys, flying in on Meleys.  Perhaps The Sea Snake was impressed by his bride and they took it from there and evolved a relationship of mutual respect that became one of affection and great loyalty as well (though not necessarily fidelity on Corlys' part).

2 minutes ago, Raksha 2014 said:

Young as Rhaenys was, she made quite an entrance to her wedding with Corlys, flying in on Meleys.  Perhaps The Sea Snake was impressed by his bride and they took it from there and evolved a relationship of mutual respect that became one of affection and great loyalty as well (though not necessarily fidelity on Corlys' part).

Of course. It certainly was a splendid match and apparently a happy marriage. But it was still a marriage to a man two years older than Rhaenys' own father, Prince Aemon, and a marriage to a man who had seen the entire world. The idea that any sixteen-year-old girl - dragonrider or not - could offer him anything of, well, substance is not very likely. Corlys Velaryon would have seen and experienced more in a year than most Westerosi noblemen see in an entire lifetime.

And keep in mind who Rhaenys was - the only child of the Prince of Dragonstone. Think of how Corlys saw her grow up when he returned from his voyages, noticing how Jocelyn Baratheon failed to give her pale prince a male heir. Corlys had been offered Daella's hand earlier - it didn't work out, of course - but one imagines that the man who would one day inherit Driftmark could have easily enough gained the hand of either Saera or Viserra if he had wanted to.

But he didn't. He married a young girl who was no mere princess but the woman who most likely would, one day, inherit the Iron Throne should her father rule as King Aemon I. She was the greatest prize of all and he waited for her. That was no accident.

6 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

So, uh, where are the E2 threads?

Yeah came to ask the same. It's supposed to be automatic, maybe someone put the wrong time? I guess just use here for now.

I just started but there was no credit sequence last week, was there?

7 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Yeah came to ask the same. It's supposed to be automatic, maybe someone put the wrong time? I guess just use here for now.

I just started but there was no credit sequence last week, was there?

No, this was the first week they used it.

The theme is the biggest indicator to me that they want this to be the next Star Wars. One “signature” theme for all shows.

On 8/28/2022 at 8:41 PM, Lord Varys said:

Of course. It certainly was a splendid match and apparently a happy marriage. But it was still a marriage to a man two years older than Rhaenys' own father, Prince Aemon, and a marriage to a man who had seen the entire world. The idea that any sixteen-year-old girl - dragonrider or not - could offer him anything of, well, substance is not very likely. Corlys Velaryon would have seen and experienced more in a year than most Westerosi noblemen see in an entire lifetime.

True but Rhaenys possibly grew into her role as Daenerys did as Khaleesi.

The birthing scene from the perspective a mother who underwent a c-section birth and is currently pregnant for a second time.  One of the many points she makes about this choice of juxtaposing the labor with the tourney is that it leaves out the woman the person and mother entirely, perhaps in order to make Big Statements About Something-Or-Other.  Not to mention in medieval eras in almost all cases the survival of the MOTHER, not the child, was the choice if a choice had to be made.  (Yes, they did their best to hedge there by choosing to say, it had to be the survival of the child, or the certain death of both.)

The Many Violations of the Violent Birth Scene

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/31/arts/television/childbirth-house-dragon-sapochnik.html

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2022 at 7:21 PM, marsyao said:

Tell me how could the sea snake be a black man ? is house of Velaryon an ancient house of valyria ?

I love it.

I had not considered the possibility when reading certain lines in F&B.

Aemond’s remarks I think,

Look at you and look at us.
     Implying that his features are pure and his nephew’s  are impure bastards. When it could just be racist. 

Makes you think. A great threat from the north comes to end humanity. People up north are so white they’re red headed. Targaryen’s are the whitest. Looks like that prophecy has come and gone

“You only lost one eye, how could you be so blind?”

Edited by Fool Stands On Giant’s Toe

• 6 months later...

That's how you open a story.

The dragons got me excited. It's been a while and being back in the world of ice and fire got my blood pumping.

The birth scene. Very direct, but this is what women went through in the old ages.

The secret purpose and Aegon's dream were something I did not expect. I always thought the conqueror was driven by ambition.

• 4 months later...

I can't get over how good this episode was. I feel like people are looking for any reason to hate it, but it was a beautiful start to the series. The scene of Great Council of 101 was especially exciting and couldn't have been a better scene to introduce us to what was to come. For non-book readers like me, this was the scene that led me to finally start reading Asoiaf because it made me want to learn more about it.

Unlike most people it seems, I love how they kept the same song for the opening credits and the opening credits themselves were decent. It is hard to create something new after a masterpiece that was Game of Thrones' opening credits. Although I do hope that they don't keep it the same in the upcoming seasons, there are a lot more to add than a little fire and a lot of blood considering this is the series about the Dance of Dragons.

This truly was an amazing start to the series.

Edited by Coherys