[Poll] How would you rate episode 101?

Ran

[Poll] How would you rate episode 101?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best?

24 minutes ago, Ser Yorick Ampersand said:

I don't like any changes, the blackwashing of the velaryons is unaceptable,

I kind of raised by eyebrow a bit with this as well when I first saw the trailers.  But the idea has kind of grown on me.  It makes sense that a seafaring family like the Velaryons would have come into contact with foreign cultures much more readily than the other houses.  So it wouldn't be surprising if we found out that Corly's father may have travelled to the Summer Islands in his youth and ended up falling for a high born woman from those Islands.  It would also further cement the Velaryons status as outsiders and give another ulterior reason that a lot of the lords would have tried to prevent Corly's heirs from sitting on the Iron Throne.  

Now if the show just kind of ignores the change and doesn't give an explanation or use it to the plot's advantage, I'll be pretty disappointed.

3 hours ago, Ser Yorick Ampersand said:

Oh, you're right. That's fine then. Must have been thinking of another.

You are thinking of Rhaenys Targaryen probably, who is half Baratheon (from her mother) and in the book has their dark hair.

5 minutes ago, Arataniello said:

You are thinking of Rhaenys Targaryen probably, who is half Baratheon (from her mother) and in the book has their dark hair.

Yup thats it.
Hair and eye color is so important trough all the series... I wish they didnt make this stupid changes. And I think it would be easier for casual viewers to identify her if she didnt have the same hair color of the other targaryens, this could also be viewed has she is not a `real` targaryen because she doesnt have the hair so she was never considered as a real contender to the throne etc.

And it would be easier to book readers because when you make arbitrary changes we get confused because the characters dont look like what they are in the books and ruins the lore and plot points like disputing parentage, bastards, distant kin, etc.

Edited by Ser Yorick Ampersand

I thought it was really good. I haven't read that book in a while (I actually haven't read it since about a week after it first came out) but it felt like they captured the essence of jostling personalities and main conflicts. It felt, to me, like a very smooth jumping off point.

One of the best things about it, mainly because it becomes a huge gripe for me for any show if it's done poorly, is that they managed to introduce characters and plot lines pretty naturally just by telling you a story about this momentous time that we've dropped in on. Far too many shows fall into the trap of having the first episode(s) feel less like you're peeking in on an established world and more like a wasted episode that's focused around introducing you to each character one by one. That quickly becomes perfunctory and awkward and feels like it was made by a beginner.

4 hours ago, Ser Yorick Ampersand said:

Yup thats it.
Hair and eye color is so important trough all the series... I wish they didnt make this stupid changes. And I think it would be easier for casual viewers to identify her if she didnt have the same hair color of the other targaryens, this could also be viewed has she is not a `real` targaryen because she doesnt have the hair so she was never considered as a real contender to the throne etc.

And it would be easier to book readers because when you make arbitrary changes we get confused because the characters dont look like what they are in the books and ruins the lore and plot points like disputing parentage, bastards, distant kin, etc.

But in the casting of the Game of Thrones TV series, often hair and eye color were ignored:  Sean Bean's Ned Stark did not physically resemble the book version at all other than both characters being white; but I loved his portrayal.  Maisie Williams' Arya was not gray-eyed.  Stephen Dillane as Stannis was not black-haired and blue-eyed, neither was TV-Renly.  TV-Margaery was at least 10 years older than her book counterpart and her eyes should have been brown, not blue.  But we still enjoyed the show at least through season 5...

8 hours ago, Ser Yorick Ampersand said:

In fact I think most people who are not book readers will find it boring.

That's actually somewhat true, several reviews have indicated this. While I liked the episode as an ASOIAF fan, the truth is that not everybody is ready to study a family tree in order to understand a show, which is even more of a requirement here than on GoT. And I myself am not sure whether to watch it with my friends who aren't familiar with the material. 

Edited by Takiedevushkikakzvezdy

I gave it a 7/10, considering this is the pilot I'd say it is pretty high. I knew the first episode or two would introduce a lot of people so I was ready for that and remember most of them from the book. People who expect this to be exactly like the book down to every characters hair color, eye color, shade of clothing etc are in for trouble. This series isn't specifically for those of us who have that book, it's mostly for fans of the show GOT and we know from that success that not every single eye or hair color has to be correct for the show to be enjoyed.

Oh wow not a bad rating at all! I'm among those who voted 8

I liked the way they introduced the characters by their names in the end, thought that was a smart way to do it. Not so impressed with the dragon flying scenes in the start, or the text that disappeared to show '172 years before Daenerys Targaryen', I can hold a complete sentence in my head! Really liked the aquatic flares on Caraxes tho. 

I was torn between 8 and 7 but I want to keep my expectations low , so , 7/10 . I loved a lot of things there as a book fan : the heraldry, the shots , settings , customs , etc. a certain shot from the tourney was a close reminiscent of one of tourney of Harrenhal artworks :wub: . I also liked that they didn't omit any character , no one was whitewashed . loved the acting . council and the music (especially Cole's theme) was a highlight for me . I did not like the editing in some parts . especially in gold cloak scenes that wasn't clear for a non book fan if Daemon is arresting known criminals or is randomly maiming half the city. it didn't have anything to get a new audience hooked in my opinion . also , I missed the intro  speaking of which , is it possible that they'll add a proper intro next week? a lot of gore was unnecessary , tourneys can be bloody as it is , you don't have to turn it into a gladiator arena ! 

I gave it a 7. 

It was pretty good. I will be watching episode 2, but to be honest it has the potential to be a bust, I hope not, but the signs are all there. Some questionable decisions made mentioned elsewhere; (killing lords at a tournament, instantly recognizing a dark-haired person as "OMG he's Dornish!", and some others) nitpicking probably, but it shows the potential to possibly go off the rails ala ep 8.

7/10. I really liked it, but besides Viserys and Daemon, I don’t feel like many of the other characters stood out as much as the characters in GOT did. The writing wasn’t as good either, but it has potential.

My favorite scene was Daemon and Viserys facing off in the throne room. I also thought the tourney and the birthing scene was appropriately brutal. I wasn’t fond of the prophecy at the end, but I don’t like prophecies in general, so it’s a personal thing. All in all, I’m excited for the rest of the season.

On 8/22/2022 at 9:34 AM, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

Given how faithful the showrunners seem to be to the source material, I can't help but wonder what could have been if Condal was the showrunner for GoT either from the beginning or at least after season 4. :(

It doesn’t matter who was showrunner, they would have run out of source material and had to go their own way eventually.

1 hour ago, Dragon in the North said:

It doesn’t matter who was showrunner, they would have run out of source material and had to go their own way eventually.

Yeah, I know it's a hard task for anybody, but in a situation like that it's even more necessary to have someone at the helm who truly loves the material instead of people who don't.

Edited by Takiedevushkikakzvezdy

On 8/22/2022 at 2:09 PM, Frey family reunion said:

I kind of raised by eyebrow a bit with this as well when I first saw the trailers.  But the idea has kind of grown on me.  It makes sense that a seafaring family like the Velaryons would have come into contact with foreign cultures much more readily than the other houses.  So it wouldn't be surprising if we found out that Corly's father may have travelled to the Summer Islands in his youth and ended up falling for a high born woman from those Islands.  It would also further cement the Velaryons status as outsiders and give another ulterior reason that a lot of the lords would have tried to prevent Corly's heirs from sitting on the Iron Throne.  

Now if the show just kind of ignores the change and doesn't give an explanation or use it to the plot's advantage, I'll be pretty disappointed.

The issue has to do with the worldbuilding aspect of the Valyrian obsession with blood purity, which is an important aspect of how the Valyrians achieved what they did (as GRRM hints in the recent video on dragons and magic).

Anyone trying to defend this is not a serious person. It's done only for political reasons, everyone knows it, it only robs from the estabilished canon, ruins the lore, ruins plotpoints, ruins contuinity. Furthermore the showrunners said the quiet part outloud about white people on the screen. They are just racist and politically motivated, pursuing estabilishment/hollywood racial propaganda agenda. If they said the same about any other race they would be fired on the spot.

Didn't finish the episode yet, but provisional 4.  I don't like any of the main cast so far.  I get that the king is not long for this world, but it's like they took Emilia Clarke's dark eyebrow issue and decided to double down on a guy who's a Targ king with light hair and dark stubble.  Shave that guy for christs sake.  Looks like a clown.  Daemon is supposed to be a bad ass and he looks like a foppish clown as well.  And the princess looks like she should ride a short dragon.  Maybe it's all a commentary on inbred dynasties, but 40 minutes in, what is the hook supposed to be?