What will be the reactions to Young Griff ?

1 hour ago, Craving Peaches said:

It sounds tragic enough to be plausible. I agree that Jon Con will most likely end up doing something horrible. I think his desire for vengeance, combined with his guilt over not just torching Stoney Sept to kill Robert, combined with the negative effect the sound of bells seems to have on him will result in him possibly snapping and commiting an atrocity so that Aegon will have no choice but to get rid of him.

My interpretation is that Connington will do something desperate so he can fulfill his goals before succumbing to greyscale.

2 hours ago, EggBlue said:

how about this: 

1. Jon Con does something horrendous in Aegon's name

2. Aegon reluctantly executes Jon Con , the only family he knew, to be a good king

3. but gets Gray scale and dies never living up to the Great King he wants to be 

4. on top of that , he infects the city with Greyscale so multiple people sit on IT after him in a "moon of madness" sorta period

?

I think that is easier for Jon Con to pass Greyscale to Aegon, because he insist in staying close to the boy while keeping his discease a secret and doom his own cause.

Or after he finally "win" he gets to know that Aegon is a fake and he wasted his life protecting a nobody and installing a "low born" in the throne, and he gets killed by Rhaegar's true heir Daenerys.

34 minutes ago, Arthur Peres said:

I think that is easier for Jon Con to pass Greyscale to Aegon, because he insist in staying close to the boy while keeping his discease a secret and doom his own cause.

that's good!...I mean .. tragic 

34 minutes ago, Arthur Peres said:

Or after he finally "win" he gets to know that Aegon is a fake and he wasted his life protecting a nobody and installing a "low born" in the throne, and he gets killed by Rhaegar's true heir Daenerys.

oh , the one thing I would like to see in the case of Aegon being fake is JonCon's reaction . in his 2 chapters , he is mostly just thinking about Rhaegar whenever interacts with Aegon . but since he has actually raised this boy , it's fair to think he must care about him regardless of his parentage as well ... so, what will he do if he finds out Aegon's a fake? will he stop supporting him ? will he turn on him? 

11 hours ago, EggBlue said:

how about this: 

1. Jon Con does something horrendous in Aegon's name

2. Aegon reluctantly executes Jon Con , the only family he knew, to be a good king

3. but gets Gray scale and dies never living up to the Great King he wants to be 

4. on top of that , he infects the city with Greyscale so multiple people sit on IT after him in a "moon of madness" sorta period

?

Jon Connington will probably do something bad when hearing the Bells again, Daenerys' bells scene in the show is in my opinion a JonCon scene in the books.

Isn't Jon Con leading Young Griff's armies sort of dangerous? The guy is basically going to be spreading a plague to anyone he touches. I understand he wears gloves, but is that enough to stop it from spreading. It will eventually start to effect his sanity as well, I imagine. 

19 minutes ago, sifth said:

Isn't Jon Con leading Young Griff's armies sort of dangerous? The guy is basically going to be spreading a plague to anyone he touches. I understand he wears gloves, but is that enough to stop it from spreading. It will eventually start to effect his sanity as well, I imagine. 

Yes. I'm not sure if it would spread so far in the sparsely populated Stormlands, though they have the right climate for it. But I imagine King's Landing is the perfect place for the disease to spread like Wildfire (and possibly alongside it). Jon Con seems a bit traumatised from his failure during the rebellion and I think that will really start to weigh on him alongside the knowledge of his inevitable fate.

I wonder how the small folk will react if Aegon resembles Rhaegar?  Rhaegar was well loved by the population and if he has Rhaegar's armor;  that could reinforce that perception.  I wouldn't rule out a glamor either:

A Dance with Dragons - The Lost Lord

When the lad emerged from the cabin with Lemore by his side, Griff looked him over carefully from head to heel. The prince wore sword and dagger, black boots polished to a high sheen, a black cloak lined with blood-red silk. With his hair washed and cut and freshly dyed a deep, dark blue, his eyes looked blue as well. At his throat he wore three huge square-cut rubies on a chain of black iron, a gift from Magister Illyrio. Red and black. Dragon colors. That was good. "You look a proper prince," he told the boy. "Your father would be proud if he could see you."

A replay on Renly's armor.

How will Cersei react to the second-coming of Rhaegar?  Varys must have a plan to take Kingslanding through secret passage ways.

19 hours ago, Craving Peaches said:

The wounds of the realm will begin to heal and things will finally start getting better...and then the dragons will show up. I think Aegon's legitimacy will be purposefully left ambiguous but he will be a good king anyway in order to make the reader question whether bloodline really matters (if they haven't already).

IMHO, for there to be a plausible conflict between Aegon and Dany, she'd have to be convinced that he is fake and maybe even that Varys and Illyrio have purposefully orchestrated the downfall of her family to sneak somebody like him onto the throne. Or he'd have to be the instigator, for some reason.

Because otherwise, why would she fight him? She is barren, she can't revive the dynasty, while he in all probability  can. And she has more than enough to conquer and rule in Essos. Even if she does become obviously pregnant, Mirri's curse was the inability to bear _living_ children. Unless Dany has a child that survives early infancy, she'd have zero reason to try to wrest the Iron Throne from allegedly her only surviving relative.

Regarding Aegon, if he has taken Storm's End, he has pretty good cards. Between Stannis the sept-and-people-burner who is freezing his ass in the North and Tommen the child with a crazy and incompetent mother and spent Lannister support, he is obviously the superior alternative. The biggest obstacle to his cause is currently Margaery still tying the Tyrells to Tommen, but Varys is sure to have a plan to deal with this complication. I don't think that giving SE to Edric Storm or letting Baratheons continue in any form would be a good idea, BTW, it is better to make the Stormlands part of the royal domain.

If Young Griff shows up with Blackfyre, that'll probably raise some questions since any lord worth their salt and read their history would know that Blackfyre was known to have been with the Golden Company, who have long been affiliated with the cause of the Blackfyres.

44 minutes ago, Maia said:

IMHO, for there to be a plausible conflict between Aegon and Dany, she'd have to be convinced that he is fake and maybe even that Varys and Illyrio have purposefully orchestrated the downfall of her family to sneak somebody like him onto the throne. Or he'd have to be the instigator, for some reason.

What I think could happen is that Daenrys suspects him to be fake due to Quaithe's warning about the 'Mummer's Dragon' and possibly Tyrion telling her the same thing if he's so inclined. She may also think he is 'too good to be true' and combined with Quaithe's words and possibly the words of her councilors she will believe he's fake. But I don't think we as readers will receive conformation either way.

3 hours ago, Craving Peaches said:

What I think could happen is that Daenrys suspects him to be fake due to Quaithe's warning about the 'Mummer's Dragon' and possibly Tyrion telling her the same thing if he's so inclined. She may also think he is 'too good to be true' and combined with Quaithe's words and possibly the words of her councilors she will believe he's fake. But I don't think we as readers will receive conformation either way.

If Tyrion makes it to Daenerys. Right now he's in an army camp outside of Meereen and she's in the Dothraki Sea, pooping out green. Imagine if the Dothraki show up and she just keels over dead.

41 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

If Tyrion makes it to Daenerys. Right now he's in an army camp outside of Meereen and she's in the Dothraki Sea, pooping out green. Imagine if the Dothraki show up and she just keels over dead.

I would most likely die with laughter at that. You are right that Tyrion might not necessarily make it to Daenerys, but I am almost 100% certain he will, and will get the opportunity to advise her in some fashion. Daenerys could be suffering from dysentery though...

3 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

I would most likely die with laughter at that. You are right that Tyrion might not necessarily make it to Daenerys, but I am almost 100% certain he will, and will get the opportunity to advise her in some fashion. Daenerys could be suffering from dysentery though...

Perhaps I should expand it: say the Dothraki show up and Daenerys dies of dysentery. And there you go, another "main character" bites the dust.

10 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

Perhaps I should expand it: say the Dothraki show up and Daenerys dies of dysentery. And there you go, another "main character" bites the dust.

That would be funny. What would Drogon do? Eat the body or leave it alone as it's diseased (I'm not sure if dysentery can spread like this or if dragons can even get dysentery)?

2 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

well , the princess Daenerys who dies of Shivers is supposedly a parallel to Dany. so , another princess Daenerys that dies like a commoner should be plausible

On 8/20/2022 at 8:39 AM, Angel Eyes said:

If Young Griff shows up with Blackfyre, that'll probably raise some questions since any lord worth their salt and read their history would know that Blackfyre was known to have been with the Golden Company, who have long been affiliated with the cause of the Blackfyres.

Bingo!

I think the reaction to Young Griff would be very mixed and, if positive, mostly dishonest. I think the Faith Militant, a handful of Reach houses, the Stormlands, Oldtown and Dorne will support him for very different reasons. Dorne, the Citadel (for however long they have left before Euron destroys it) and the Faith will support him almost enthusiastically.

Cersei will find YG to be ridiculous and annoying for a time before getting a bit worried. She'd actually might be glad he got rid of Mace Tyrell for her. She'd be overly confident about the defenses of King's Landing like she was in A Clash of Kings...but back in Clash she had a good reason to be. In Winds, she arguably will have more enemies within the city than she had outside of the city in Clash.

Littlefinger's reaction to YG will be unpredictable. He might know that this is Varys' handiwork and not want to touch it with a ten-foot-pole or he might want to completely change his plans for Sansa so as to exploit YG. Sansa won't want anything to do with it and, if Littlefinger attempts to drag her back south into a marriage with YG, that'll probably be the final straw for her.

The Vale will be very meh about it but...many of them are also itching for a piece of the action. The North won't give a f--- because they have way more important things to deal with and the Riverlands will be grateful for the distraction and use said distraction as a means of cleaning house and licking their wounds

I think the more interesting reactions to talk about and speculate on are:

• what will be the reactions to Daenerys Targaryen and her invasion force
  • what will be the reactions to Jon Snow's true identity 

On 8/18/2022 at 10:38 PM, The Lord of the Crossing said:

Aegon is not on solid ground, but he will be able to fool few people at the beginning.  Daenerys will put forth her claim and reveal Aegon to be a fraud.  That will be the end of Aegon's very short reign.  Daenerys will have the dragons and the experience to support her claim to Westeros.  In the end, she will be a better ruler than Aegon, Jon Snow, or Stannis could ever hope to become. 

If he reigns at all. 

Honestly, I think he's going to be a good and popular king and will take the IT. I don't know if he will hold if for long however. The conflict for Dany in the final book will be, if she should remove her "nephew" from power or not, knowing this. If we ever get A Dream of Spring, it will be a much more interesting conflict, than what the show gave us.

Archived