What if Daenerys dies from dysentery?

Angel Eyes

This is a thought I had on the What will be the Reactions to Young Griff? thread.

So what would happen if when Khal Jhaqo finds Daenerys at the end of ADWD, Daenerys, who is suffering from diarrhea and spewing up green slime, just keels over and dies?

Now where is everyone?

• Tyrion and Jorah are in a camp outside Meereen
  • Arch and Gerris are still in Meereen after Quentyn died,
  • Barristan is serving as Hand of the Queen,
  • Victarion is sailing there
  • Rhaegal and Viserion are flying amok
  • Drogon is next to Daenerys

And it isn't like GRRM has shied away from killing off a main character simply because they're a main character.

Battle of Meereen will probably be a win for Dany's forces with Victarion and co. teaming up to beat the slavers, however Victarion's main motivation seems to be Daenerys, so if she doesn't turn up any time soon not there he may turn around and just go back home. However 'What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger' so he could ask Moqorro to revive Daenerys. It would be in the red priesthood's interest to do this so they don't look like fools after their saviour dies from excessive diarrhea.

The people revived by fire tend to become fixated on the last thing they were doing. In Daenerys' case this was vomiting and pooping herself, so that might continue however I don't know how it works in relation to disease or if the dysentery-causing bacteria would also be revived. Someone could try to remind her of her true self or something but with only limited success.

With Daenerys most likely dead or unable to rule, Barristan could serve as her regent. If she is dead Barristan could also serve as the regent for whatever dragon hatched first. Daenerys' children inherit before her brother, so no need to go to F/Aegon. Some people may try to ride the dragons, Vic may try to use the horn anyway to depose Euron. I don't know if this will work. At any rate, the dragons probably won't go near the wall where they are needed.

Alternatively Drogon could just eat Daenerys' body. Dragons supposedly can't get diseases but then Dany got dysentery so who knows?

Khal Jhaqo most likely continues whatever he was doing before unless attacked by Drogon.

The Dornish go home if Daenerys is dead. They probably go home anyway as they need to return Quentyn's remains and don't have a very favourable disposition towards Daenerys.

25 minutes ago, Lady_Qohor said:

Jokes aside, it would be kind of refreshing to have a main character die from natural causes (that isn't old age or childbirth). This is the middle ages, people should be dropping like flies from dysentry, tuberculosis and plague all over the place.

Yes. Aside from Jon Con slowly dying with his grayscale main/POV characters are remarkably unscathed when it comes to dying of disease. Tyrion fell in and swallowed a load of greyscale infected water but so far isn't experiencing any side effects. More people need to die randomly due to illness they contract while on campaign. Aside from the Yunkai'i army it hasn't really had an effect. Especially when they have no access to a maester. So many more Ironborn should die due to sickness. Victarion got lucky so we should see other people face the full consequences of not having medical care. Perhaps Lady Dustin with her anti-maester agenda will soon regret it when she catches a chill and no one can help her.

People have been saying that Jon Con will spread grey plague all over the place so...

If Daenerys dies then it will be the time for me to stop reading the series.  The protagonists of the series died and there is no further need to read for me.  

The White Walkers and their Stark toadies will overrun Westeros.  Their army of cold corpses will make short work of Westeros.  Fine if their spread could be contained on that one land mass.  But not good if the ice army crosses the land bridge to Essos.  

11 minutes ago, Rondo said:

If Daenerys dies then it will be the time for me to stop reading the series.  The protagonists of the series died and there is no further need to read for me.  

Good riddance

1 minute ago, Craving Peaches said:
11 minutes ago, Rondo said:

But not good if the ice army crosses the land bridge to Essos.  

I thought that land bridge was destroyed thousands of years ago?

I understand, you are used to dealing with rational individuals.

16 minutes ago, Rondo said:

The White Walkers and their Stark toadies will overrun Westeros.  Their army of cold corpses will make short work of Westeros.  Fine if their spread could be contained on that one land mass.  But not good if the ice army crosses the land bridge to Essos.  

I suppose Jon doesn't count as a protagonist then...what about Aegon? I don't think the author intended for Daenerys to be seen as the only protagonist. The Starks are supposed to be sympathetic...Why would they team up with the Others? Even if Jon becomes the Night's King why would Sansa, Bran and Rickon suddenly have an interest in ending all life on Westeros? Jon isn't even a Stark...

7 minutes ago, TheLastWolf said:

I understand, you are used to dealing with rational individuals.

I hope this doesn't turn out like the Jon, Betrayer of the Night's Watch thread...

2 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

I suppose Jon doesn't count as a protagonist then...what about Aegon? I don't think the author intended for Daenerys to be seen as the only protagonist. The Starks are supposed to be sympathetic...Why would they team up with the Others? Even if Jon becomes the Night's King why would Sansa, Bran and Rickon suddenly have an interest in ending all life on Westeros? Jon isn't even a Stark...

I was slower than you in learning to deal with the crap you have to now, a few warnings and lot of numbness helped me. 

3 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

I hope this doesn't turn out like the Jon, Betrayer of the Night's Watch thread...

The mods love deleting my posts when I get a bit sharp calling out these...what to name them. Anything and everything is offensive. I hope this thread survives.

2 hours ago, Craving Peaches said:

Battle of Meereen will probably be a win for Dany's forces with Victarion and co. teaming up to beat the slavers, however Victarion's main motivation seems to be Daenerys, so if she doesn't turn up any time soon not there he may turn around and just go back home. However 'What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger' so he could ask Moqorro to revive Daenerys. It would be in the red priesthood's interest to do this so they don't look like fools after their saviour dies from excessive diarrhea.

Victarion would have to find Daenerys first, she's somewhere in the Dothraki Sea.

In all honesty, I think it is unlikely that Daenerys will die of dysentery. If it happened I would laugh. I wouldn't stop reading. Daenerys is an interesting character but I don't mind if she dies. My favourite character died midway through book two but I still read and enjoy the other books. The great thing about the series is that there are so many interesting people.

Daenerys could be used to show that, yes, any character can still die. Quite a few people seem to think that death has no meaning anymore for the characters and that everyone doesn't face consequences for their actions and can just come back to life, so this could prove them wrong.

17 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

Victarion would have to find Daenerys first, she's somewhere in the Dothraki Sea.

That's true, Moqorro's visions could come in handy here. At this point the body may have decayed somewhat, you could end up with another Lady Stoneheart situation except confused and pooping rather than vengeful. I want to know more about how disease works with regard to the resurrection magic? Is it just burned away?

2 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

Renly?

Every day I mourn for my sweet king :(

(P.S. I thought my picture made it more clear, a stag with a peach...hmm maybe I need to change it, I have the Baratheon stag quartered with peaches as well....)

Cressen?

Poor Cressen. Tried and failed to stop Stannis' fratricide.

Qhorin?

Gave his life for the watch, a lesson Marsh and co. should have learnt.

Luwin?

I grew quite sad over this the other day. Poor maester Luwin...I hope Old Nan is still okay.

Yoren?

Brave man who gives his life to let the others have a chance to escape.

Also honourable mention to Ser Courtnay Penrose.

Just in case someone says that Taragaryens can't get common illnesses they can, Maekar and his son Daeron both caught a pox (Daeron died from one) and King Daeron and Valarr and Matarys all died in the Great Spring Sickness. In addition Princess Daenerys died of shivers so there is potential foreshadowing for Daenerys dying of an illness.

26 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

Every day I mourn for my sweet king :(

(P.S. I thought my picture made it more clear, a stag with a peach...hmm maybe I need to change it, I have the Baratheon stag quartered with peaches as well....)

you're profile seems to be of low resolution ... so I didn't catch that at all!!! your poor sweet king was a bit of a prick:P but he and Marg would have made fine rulers...

20 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

Just in case someone says that Taragaryens can't get common illnesses they can, Maekar and his son Daeron both caught a pox (Daeron died from one) and King Daeron and Valarr and Matarys all died in the Great Spring Sickness. In addition Princess Daenerys died of shivers so there is potential foreshadowing for Daenerys dying of an illness.

seriously now , it'll be iconic if Dany dies of a common illness in the last book but I don't think she'd die in WoW

29 minutes ago, EggBlue said:

you're profile seems to be of low resolution ... so I didn't catch that at all!!! your poor sweet king was a bit of a prick:P but he and Marg would have made fine rulers...

I will forgive you for that insult towards His Grace just this once! ;)

I had a higher resolution picture of the one I have now, but when I tried to upload it, it kept on not working, even though it was within the max file size allowed...I have another image I could use where the Baratheon stag is quartered with peaches on green but I might not be able to upload that in a good resolution either...

29 minutes ago, EggBlue said:

seriously now , it'll be iconic if Dany dies of a common illness in the last book but I don't think she'd die in WoW

Yes, I don't really think she will die either, at least not until the last book, it would be too unsatisfying for quite a few readers and would leave another bunch of people stuck in Meereen. But I just wanted to make that point clear because in some previous threads like this some people were under the belief that Daenerys was immune to every disease under the sun because of her superior Valyrian blood or something...

Archived