Football: Insert Ted Lasso joke here

ljkeane

Arguably not. But like I said, I don't think United has right now a better option for the wings than Sancho and Elanga. If you sign Antony or somebody else, then you can play with Sancho (LW) and Antony (RW) as your starting pairing. 

Knee-jerk reaction: this’ll be like Dortmund’s collapse under Klopp.  The team is burnt out and fatigued after chasing the quadruple and then losing both the CL and the PL at the final hurdle.  They don’t have enough to give right now.  But dropping energy by even 5-10% makes the Liverpool system horribly fragile.

On the plus side, they’ll save me lots of time and angst.

Decent enough performance. We're usually better when we can primarily play on the counter though. It's when we have 60% possession that we've looked totally clueless and shambolic defensively too. At least the players put some effort in tonight. 

1 hour ago, Ser Glendon Fireball said:

not a bad XI but if we want to be serious we can't rely on Elanga / Dalot long term

We need to get rid of both our RBs eventually. Wan Bissaka is a worse fit for the system Ten Hag wants to play because he can't pass for shit and actually looks terrified when in possession. 

Now that Martial is fit again, Elanga will be a sub and will be further down the pecking order if we sign another winger. I'd rather have Elanga working hard on the pitch though than Ronaldo moping around acting as though his mere presence is doing everyone a favour. 

Elanga is perfectly fine as a squad player and in certain situations. He's not great technically speaking but his movement is super and he works very hard, he's useful. 

Dalot isn't great, but I'm not gonna panic if we don't replace him immediately. He's too fragile and bully-able, but our shape and game isn't going to fall apart with him in.

40 minutes ago, Raja said:

Imo, that was mostly united playing a little bit like they did under OGS, ie a counter attacking team which they have pretty much been for the last couple of years

It's obviously very early days on that but early signs are that Ten Hag has a much better understanding of how to use Martial as a center-forward than Ole ever did. He looked comfortable there in pre-season and was superb when he came on, with the team playing well around him, whereas under Ole it only ever felt that he was trying very hard but never really settling into the role.

Archived