Football: Insert Ted Lasso joke here

ljkeane

3 hours ago, Consigliere said:

It's complete and utter madness. United has more money than brains. Wouldn't be surprised if we Barcelona ourselves.

I think we've got too much money coming in (and owners that want it to stay that way so they can rob it) to Barcelona ourselves just yet, but paying that kind of scratch for Antony says terrible things about ETH's relationship with what remains of the scouting department. Like if he's that desperate for a forward who's comfortable doing take-ons at pace, which would seem the most likely reason he's so insistent on this, there's plenty of them with pedigree and potential in the ballpark of Antony, it's probably the most stacked player-type among prospects in the world right now, and none of them would cost anywhere near as much.

6 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I think we've got too much money coming in (and owners that want it to stay that way so they can rob it) to Barcelona ourselves just yet, but paying that kind of scratch for Antony says terrible things about ETH's relationship with what remains of the scouting department. Like if he's that desperate for a forward who's comfortable doing take-ons at pace, which would seem the most likely reason he's so insistent on this, there's plenty of them with pedigree and potential in the ballpark of Antony, it's probably the most stacked player-type among prospects in the world right now, and none of them would cost anywhere near as much.

The problem is Ten Hag doesn't appear to be interested in considering options that he doesn't know which basically narrows it down to Ajax and Eredivisie players (current and former). Our weak structure above the manager means that we wasted the entire window chasing after De Jong and Antony because 'learning-on-the-job' Murtough doesn't have the balls to tell Ten Hag no. A proper DoF would have moved on to other targets in July.

90-100 is way too much for Antony.

60m I could see as the upper range for a bid. 

Chelsea are also lacking a DoF atm. So Boehly is also doing the learning on the job thing and Tuchel is being forced to spend time on advising him on transfers. Tuchel doesn't enjoy this increased influence on transfers, as he would rather focus his time and energy on the training pitch. I just assume, that Ten Hag would also like to focus more on the team instead of picking targets for Murtough to miss out on.

Sure but that's all part of it- I don't know if it would be possible to get a scouting team he does listen to, but clearly the one we've got hasn't got his trust. 
Like I don't mind that the board don't just totally want to overrule the manager because that's got us in shit in the past, but there has to be a balance. 

It's not even obscure players I'd think are alternates either. I bet fucking Moussa Diaby wouldn't cost 80mil. Fuck, Arsenal look like they're gonna sign Neto and he won't cost that either. 

Mike Verweij reporting that United have tabled an offer in excess of €90m to Ajax for Antony. Says the player is desperate to make the move and has asked Ajax's board to cooperate.

Absolute madness.

Also reports that United have abandoned their attempt to sign Trapp due to the asking price – €25m. Keith Downie reporting that United are negotiating with Newcastle for Dubravka.

Just now, Spockydog said:

Reports we are now sniffing around Zaha. Can't help but think his best years are behind him. Also, for a player who will be 30 soon, he doesn't really fit our new squad profile. 

Also: he isn't that good.

7 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Also reports that United have abandoned their attempt to sign Trapp due to the asking price – €25m. Keith Downie reporting that United are negotiating with Newcastle for Dubravka.

I don't know much about Trapp but Dubravka...isn't he, well, primarily a shotstopper? I don't have the impression of him being much of a sweeper or anything but maybe I'm just remembering a few games where Newcastle got leathered so he was saving a lot?

14 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Reports we are now sniffing around Zaha. Can't help but think his best years are behind him. Also, for a player who will be 30 soon, he doesn't really fit our new squad profile. 

I have a hard time believing this with the squad profile the way that is. I think we go in with no winger rather than spending on Zaha.

16 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I don't know much about Trapp but Dubravka...isn't he, well, primarily a shotstopper? I don't have the impression of him being much of a sweeper or anything but maybe I'm just remembering a few games where Newcastle got leathered so he was saving a lot?

He's not a sweeper and he's not really a big upgrade over De Gea with the ball at his feet either. Neither are good enough for playing out from the back. He was fine for Bruceball but does not fit Newcastle's playing style under Howe. There's a reason Howe has binned him.

eta. he might still be a better option than De Gea though. DDG is genuinely among the worst, if not the worst, keepers in the league when it comes to distribution, being proactive on crosses/corners, sweeping and commanding his 6 yard box.

Any remaining goodwill towards Hector Bellerin is rapidly evaporating. He keeps rejecting any offers where we might get a transfer fee so he can go to Real Betis for free.

His agent is briefing the press that they expect Arsenal to capitulate in the final 72 hours of the window. 

Time to make an example of this fool, and his people. Let him see out the final year of his contract with the U21s. We need to nip this shit in the bud. 

8 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I've changed my mind that spinny thing means he's worth it.

Whoever made this 30 seconds clip is a cineatic genius. Think about it. Each second of this clip is worth more than 3m to United. Genius.

Archived