Football: Insert Ted Lasso joke here

ljkeane

Liverpool were lucky to grab that winner and their quality tonight didn’t really deserve it.  OTOH, Newcastle were time wasting, fouling and cheating all night and deserved to lose.  @Soylent Brown is right that games are becoming unwatchable because cynical cheating goes unchecked in so many matches.  The PL will regret it if they lose the skill and high tempo that drew the audience.

Elliott and Carvalho were both very good, with echoes of Elliott’s bright start last season before his injury.  But there’s a lot of very flat play out there from players who look out of ideas against any organized defense.

So Liverpool got their mojo back now, by grinding out one goal wins, and finding that last minute goal. Those 9-0 demolition jobs are nice, but the scrappy one goal games are the big points over the course of a season. Diaz should've done better in the first half after Firmino's through ball. 

5 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Those 9-0 demolition jobs are nice, but the scrappy one goal games are the big points over the course of a season. 

Aye. And for the best football experience, I'll take a tight 1-0 with a last minute winner over dishing out a 9-0 battering every single week. Unless it's Tottenham. Would be lovely to batter them 9-0.

Tyrone mings is so so bad. He's just so afraid of the ball. I know villa were poor, but so much of that was down to Gerrard insisting they play out from the back with Konsa & Mings, who were terrible at doing that.

Martinelli so good again & Sambi was tidy.

11 minutes ago, Raja said:

Tyrone mings is so so bad. He's just so afraid of the ball. I know villa were poor, but so much of that was down to Gerrard insisting they play out from the back with Konsa & Mings, who were terrible at doing that.

Martinelli so good again & Sambi was tidy.

I"m glad Martinelli was good because last week he was pants. ESR didn't look convincing coming in though and Eddie needs to find some end product for all the work he puts in. Getting tired of wasting chances.

Villa being the assholes they were, Odegaard comes out with a knock after a particularly harsh tackle and Ramsdale might have a hamstring injury. Not great.

Archived