Football: Insert Ted Lasso joke here

ljkeane

3 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

It was clearly offside, it's just the camera angle makes it look on because they were measuring the shoulder of one player and the foot of the other.

MC says otherwise and he's not a Liverpool fan so I agree with him.

And yeah if Liverpool are making decisions in this window based on Bellingham in a year, that is insanely silly.

1 hour ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

WTF :unsure:

Yeah, he nearly was called to the 2018 WC, but Tite ultimately decided against him, even though he liked Arhur, reportedly because he had a tendency to keep his head down and pass sideways way too much , but it was thought that as he gets older and went to Europe, he would lose that tendency and become a real world-class player. Unfortunately, he didn't.

2 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

We need more than just one midfielder though. Even if we get Bellingham, which I doubt given the competition we'll face, we'll probably need another one or two on top of that.

Yeah dont see us getting Bellingham and this move seems especially desperate and panicky but hope it works out

38 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Yeah dont see us getting Bellingham and this move seems especially desperate and panicky but hope it works out

Whether we get Bellingham or not 'spend big money on a midfielder' seems to be penciled in for next summer. We've spent £100 million plus on the forward line with Nunez in the summer and Diaz in January (which was probably meant to be a summer signing). We were never going to get anyone high profile in midfield this summer. The injuries seem to have pushed them to sign someone but it was always going to be a loan or someone cheap. :dunno:

4 hours ago, ljkeane said:

They don’t want to buy someone because they’re going for Bellingham next year. That means it’s got to be somebody on loan and it’s last minute too. How good are you expecting them to be? Obviously it’s going to be someone who hasn’t been doing well otherwise they wouldn’t be available. We just have to hope they’ve identified someone they think can improve under Klopp.

Keita and Ox's contracts run out next year, and while I do think they're less useful than 2 tree stumps they are still in rotation and Liverpool would need more than one midfielder next summer. Bellingham or any other "big money" midfielder alone won't cut it. Midfield needs improvement in both quality AND quantity.

I can only think of three panic cover acquisitions by Klopp before now, all at CB: Caulker, Kabak and Davies.  None of them played much beyond the initial crisis and none made any lasting impact.  So my expectations for Arthur are low.

Henderson may be out with a hamstring but his form would be posing difficult questions if he was fit. Hendo brings valuable qualities of leadership, attitude and physicality to the MF, especially to balance much younger and smaller players like Elliott, Carvalho and even Jones who might get bullied by opponents.  But Hendo’s (lack of) mobility, anticipation, ball retention and pass accuracy have made him a liability for us.

Perhaps he can figure out how to manufacture more time and space for himself and use positioning as a substitute for running.  But in the meantime he’s definitely part of why our MF is getting over-run.

Henderson's lack of mobility this season has made me think that he might have been carrying an injury beforehand, and it just got worse during the Newcastle game.

Or he might have reached that stage in life where he has lost his "burst", sort of like Milner has done in the last year or so.  Either way, he is looking hampered.

I am not sure Arthur Melo is going to be a huge improvement on that, although he does seem to still have some lateral mobility that Hendo and Milner lack.   A lot of scurrilous rumors about his conduct and the reason for some of his "injuries" in prior years at Barca have come up this morning.  Some of them are funny, but also not really the sort of thing that Klopp would laugh about if they happened at LFC, so I hope either that he has got it under control or else they aren't true.

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

Hey, Fergie always said the way Henderson runs is going to slow him down some day. Just took like 8 years longer than predicted is all.

Does that mean, you are prepared to give Moyes another chance to prove Fergie right about his suitability as United manager? :leaving:

Archived