US Politics: We Don’t Need No Stinking Lawyers

Ser Scot A Ellison

5 minutes ago, Week said:

I truly believe our country would be in a much better place if there wasn't a mic to pick up the infamous Howard Dean yell. 

Week -- a good indicator on the state of the American voter. I'd think the effects wouldn't have been as bad if the scream had occurred today. But it was pretty funny.

1 hour ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Well, given the focus on declassifying the 'UFO' files...yes?

TBH I thought Trump would do two things right, spill the beans on aliens and JFK, and he couldn’t even get that right. Freaking useless piece of garbage.

I have a hard time seeing Dean doing better than Kerry in Ohio, and if he doesn't Dubya still wins.  Hell, I have a hard time seeing Dean winning the primary even without the yell.  Obviously, he had just placed a distant third in Iowa which was going to hurt him and help Kerry (and Edwards) regardless.

It seems we have an explanation for the “Pro Se” next to Trump’s name.  The top flight lawyers he has representing him didn’t bother to attempt Pro Hac Vice admission in the Southern District of Florida before filing the motion.  

Wow… that is incompetence on an unfathomable scale for any attorney:

6 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Does any sort of therapy, where the person receiving the therapy is an unwilling participant, have a prayer of success?

I don't want to say anything is completely impossible -- and please remember that when one is talking about any psychotherapy that what one means by "success" is largely determined by the client themselves -- but it of course is hugely more difficult for real to change to occur with an unwilling client. 

6 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Right, thus legally he shouldn't be allowed to ever hold office again.

Again, right, it should be court ordered. 

And you really don't believe someone obviously suffering from NPD doesn't have a mental illness? Kind of goes against what I learned in personality and abnormal psych. 

I am skeptical about whether either "Antisocial Personality Disorder" or "Narcissistic Personality Disorder" should be defined as "illnesses". I think it might be better to just see them as ways to have a nasty immoral personality. The personality disorders in general are among the most controversial diagnoses in DSM. Remember it's the psychiatrists who come up with the diagnoses in DSM, and a lot of us academic psychologists think there is not really enough scientific evidence for many of the "illnesses" they've had in various versions of DSM over the years. Now I will affirm that every time they've revised it. some of the diagnoses have gotten better from a scientific standpoint. But many of the Personality Disorders are still quite problematic. 

6 hours ago, Wade1865 said:

Ormond -- that's interesting! I assume you've studied the MBTI. If so, how accurate do you view it? Although I've tested 5 times as an INTJ (once, INTF), the type seems to be overrepresented (probably due to how appealing it seems) compared to its limited population. The one assessment I saw on the God Emperor is he's an ESFP.

6 hours ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Well, given the focus on declassifying the 'UFO' files...yes?

@Ormond am very curious as to your views on this.  I've always viewed the MBTI as about as accurate as a well-done horoscope or the Hogwarts sorting hat (i.e., mostly good for entertainment value and not much in terms of real personal insight or any kind of accuracy).  I admit I'm partially swayed by the fact that my husband's family is good friends with the Kierseys (of Please Understand Me fame).  I have...additional views...based on knowing them.  His family is very into it though (and yes, I perforce know my type LOL).

I will start a new thread on this as I don't want the MBTI to take over the US Politics thread.

5 hours ago, Wade1865 said:

Mlle. Zabzie -- I recently discovered I'm House Slytherin, hahahaha, according to a well-developed article on the psychology of the House personalities (and one online quiz). I self-selected as Ravenclaw, though. It was a bit insightful, but mostly amusing.

This is actually more insightful than just about anything else you've posted.

5 hours ago, Week said:

I truly believe our country would be in a much better place if there wasn't a mic to pick up the infamous Howard Dean yell. 

Or if political journalists weren't so desperate to be like the popular kids in high school.

3 hours ago, DMC said:

I have a hard time seeing Dean doing better than Kerry in Ohio, and if he doesn't Dubya still wins.  Hell, I have a hard time seeing Dean winning the primary even without the yell.  Obviously, he had just placed a distant third in Iowa which was going to hurt him and help Kerry (and Edwards) regardless.

It's a been a while, but IIRC doesn't the data show Kerry pretty significantly over-performed compared to a generic Democrat in 2004?

Liberals turned on him almost immediately after the election, blaming him for managing to lose to Bush. But Bush still had a 55% approval rating at the time, most economic data was still looking rosy, and Iraq wasn't a complete shitshow yet. And yet Kerry got within 2.5% of the popular vote and within 118k votes of flipping Ohio and getting electoral college win (ah for the days when the EC was biased in favor of Democrats).

33 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

You will all be surprised… terribly surprised to learn I’m Hufflepuff.

Ser Scot A Ellison -- hahaha, perfect fit. "Hufflepuff characteristics include a strong sense of justice, loyalty, patience, and a propensity for hard work. Hufflepuffs are also seen as nice, almost to a fault."

Archived