US Politics: We Don’t Need No Stinking Lawyers

Ser Scot A Ellison

12 hours ago, Week said:

I truly believe our country would be in a much better place if there wasn't a mic to pick up the infamous Howard Dean yell. 

I still can't believe that stupid fucking scream cost him the race. Like, holy shit, looking at that from dumpster fire of 2022, it is just a bafflingly stupid controversy now (and it was pretty stupid even back then).

20 hours ago, Wade1865 said:

The one assessment I saw on the God Emperor is he's an ESFP.

With all due respect, this is bullshit.
The God Emperor patiently prepared humanity for thousands of years for the lull in the Warp that would follow the birth of Slaanesh. OTOH, no way he was that sensitive, considering it was his lack of empathy with his sons that caused many of them to turn to the Dark Gods and thus caused the Heresy.

Point is: I'm really not comfortable with anyone using that nickname for Trump. Though funnily enough, one can make the case that the God Emperor (the actual one, not the orange buffoon) was responsible for the Heresy, thus turning the Imperium into a hyper-fascist regime oppressing humanity for more than 10,000 years through sheer stupidity...
Eh... Ok, keep calling Trump that, I'm just bragging about my nerdiness because I have 10 minutes to lose.
Pretty sure the nickname comes from the neo-fascists ("alt-right") though. I bet these guys have no clue. about the lore.
I play Chaos by the way (the good guys :devil:).

1 minute ago, Rippounet said:

With all due respect, this is bullshit.
The God Emperor patiently prepared humanity for thousands of years for the lull in the Warp that would follow the birth of Slaanesh. OTOH, no way he was that sensitive, considering it was his lack of empathy with his sons that caused many of them to turn to the Dark Gods and thus caused the Heresy.

Point is: I'm really not comfortable with anyone using that nickname for Trump. Though funnily enough, one can make the case that the God Emperor (the actual one, not the orange buffoon) was responsible for the Heresy, thus turning the Imperium into a hyper-fascist regime oppressing humanity for more than 10,000 years through sheer stupidity...
Eh... Ok, keep calling Trump that, I'm just bragging about my nerdiness because I have 10 minutes to lose.
Pretty sure the nickname comes from the neo-fascists ("alt-right") though. I bet these guys have no clue. about the lore.
I play Chaos by the way (the good guys :devil:).

Rippounet -- no disresepect taken (and I acknowledge the humor you laced the post with, hahaha); EFSP wasn't my assessment. I appreciate your response, your opinion has value to me. On the nickname, I understand your perspective. I use it with good-natured amusement, not reverence. I'm not familiar with the Warhammer universe [please, no spoilers for other potential readers; or, at least hide them], but I believe your interpretation has merit (and does seem to reflect my own place on the political spectrum (though I find racism and fascism to be misguided and outdated, doomed to be overtaken by the all-inclusive horde and communism -- and associated boringness towards conformity).

Hahaha, I'm not surprised you play Chaos -- self-preceived as an agent of ... good. Your Nerd-fu is strong, btw; respectable.

7 hours ago, Durckad said:

I still can't believe that stupid fucking scream cost him the race. Like, holy shit, looking at that from dumpster fire of 2022, it is just a bafflingly stupid controversy now (and it was pretty stupid even back then).

Durckad -- fr, fr; me, too! I thought Howard was kind of a doofus, but I agree how ridiculous the judgement and effects were, over a scream! However, the scream was undoubtedly, entertainingly, hilarious. As two others in this thread mentioned, the 2000 and 2004 elections were decisive in impact over the next two decades, and certainly set the US on a track toward volatility, which I think will continue to play a consequential role in how the US evovles concurrent with the increasing radicalism on both political wings.

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

@Fez, @DMC, @Tywin et al.

So, what should we take from this?

It's a great sign that Dems were able to maintain their 2020 results, especially against a pretty high quality GOP candidate. It suggests the House might not be a total loss. Although at the same time, Democrats benefited from higher turnout in the Democratic areas of the district rather than anything else. If turnout was consistent compared to 2020, the Republican would've won as he did a few % better in most areas. And I wouldn't take it as a given that Dems will have that kind of turnout advantage in the midterm itself.

Also, I care/know more about NY19 than most districts. It, or rather the old versions of it, is where I grew up. And it's important to note that while technically "a rural district", it's not like most rural areas. It's filled with people who've moved up there from NYC, plus a bunch of artist communities, aging hippies, green/organic farm communes, etc. It's also 85% white, as opposed to the 95% white or more that you see in the blood-red Republican rural districts.

So last night's a great result, and a good sign for November, but don't read too much into it either.

26 minutes ago, Wade1865 said:

Your Nerd-fu is strong, btw; respectable.

Thank you. That is probably the highest compliment one can get on this forum.

[please, no spoilers for other potential readers; or, at least hide them]

Oh, there's little chance of that. Warhammer 40,000 is set in the 41st millenium. The events of the Heresy are already ancient history at this point (the Great Crusade and the Horus Heresy were 10,000 years earlier). It's as if I was talking about Aegon and his sister-wives conquering Westeros: the Heresy is the most basic lore of Warhammer 40,000.

And the God Emperor being a dick is also very basic. Warhammer 40,000 is a satirical universe, meant to mock fascism, not extoll it. I think in a very old ad' he was called the "inter-galactic führer" or something. And the orks (the "boyz") are really English hooligan fans, and their leader "Mag Uruk Thraka" is actually Margaret Thatcher.
'tis why calling Trump the God Emperor is actually pretty cool.

Hahaha, I'm not surprised you play Chaos -- self-preceived as an agent of ... good.

^_^

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Ser Scot A Ellison -- one key takeaway is how important abortion is to many people, especially (of course) women, left or right wing. The recent speed bump against abortion rights, which the SCOTUS killed at the Federal level, is another solid indicator why the God Emperor would not win in 2024. Women will register in greater numbers just to support the wing that supports state-sanctioned abortion.

1 minute ago, Wade1865 said:

Ser Scot A Ellison -- one key takeaway is how important abortion is to many people, especially (of course) women, left or right wing. The recent speed bump against abortion rights, which the SCOTUS killed at the Federal level, is another solid indicator why the God Emperor would not win in 2024. Women will register in greater numbers just to support the wing that supports state-sanctioned abortion.

I will not assume that and will keep working to see pro-abortion rights candidates elected.  

7 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

Warhammer 40,000 is a satirical universe, meant to mock fascism, not extoll it.

^_^

Rippounet -- I think you got it! Granted, it's not an obvious thing to realize given its "lost in translation" quality; similiar to the controversy revolving around the movie, Starship Troopers (imo). I really don't know anyone (i.e. people like me, who really do favor the God Emperor) that doesn't use the nickname toungue-in-cheek, with irreverant humor. I mean, really -- the "God Emperor" -- it's not serious. I'm still just fascinated he won the first time, which makes a potential second round that much more exciting; interesting.

I appreciate irony, paradox, satire, et al. For example, the best war movies are anti-war.

21 minutes ago, Fez said:

It's a great sign that Dems were able to maintain their 2020 results, especially against a pretty high quality GOP candidate. It suggests the House might not be a total loss. Although at the same time, Democrats benefited from higher turnout in the Democratic areas of the district rather than anything else. If turnout was consistent compared to 2020, the Republican would've won as he did a few % better in most areas. And I wouldn't take it as a given that Dems will have that kind of turnout advantage in the midterm itself.

Also, I care/know more about NY19 than most districts. It, or rather the old versions of it, is where I grew up. And it's important to note that while technically "a rural district", it's not like most rural areas. It's filled with people who've moved up there from NYC, plus a bunch of artist communities, aging hippies, green/organic farm communes, etc. It's also 85% white, as opposed to the 95% white or more that you see in the blood-red Republican rural districts.

So last night's a great result, and a good sign for November, but don't read too much into it either.

100%.  This is where I live.  Also includes Hudson and Kingston, which both saw massive population influxes from the city post COVID, both people who own two homes but changed their residency up to here, or people who just totally relocated.  Hudson allegedly saw the largest population growth by percentage of anywhere in the US during covid.  Was not expecting such a huge win for Ryan though yesterday, was expecting a pretty close race.

The sign when you cross into my town says "an agricultural community", and it is, but it's also loaded with city people.  Like, half the people in my street either live here only part time or also own an apartment in the city.  

20 minutes ago, Wade1865 said:

At least important to people that don't want to torture women -

I mean, who could have possibly seen this coming?? (Other than the many folks with more than two brain cells to rub together that predicted this outcome)

13 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I will not assume that and will keep working to see pro-abortion rights candidates elected.  

Ser Scot A Ellison -- yes, of course; I'm not trying to influence you. The takeaway I observed reinforces your position; i.e., even in a rural swing state, it's more likely to lean left when abortion rights are challenged; and, more importantly, the reason why the left wing will take 2024.

7 minutes ago, Larry of the Lake said:

100%.  This is where I live.  Also includes Hudson and Kingston, which both saw massive population influxes from the city post COVID, both people who own two homes but changed their residency up to here, or people who just totally relocated.  Hudson allegedly saw the largest population growth by percentage of anywhere in the US during covid.  Was not expecting such a huge win for Ryan though yesterday, was expecting a pretty close race.

The sign when you cross into my town says "an agricultural community", and it is, but it's also loaded with city people.  Like, half the people in my street either live here only part time or also own an apartment in the city.  

Totally. Hudson isn't large enough to "anchor' the district, but a city (and neighboring towns) that overwhelmingly blue is a huge benefit to Democrats; and something that most other rural districts lack. Combine that with the other small cities and the tiny liberal enclaves and you've got a path to winning.

As a sidenote, Hudson is a testament to the power of trains/public transit, and the devastating impact that lack of public transit has had on so many other similar small cities. In Hudson, the trains never stopped running. The station is walking distance from downtown, and it's on the route that NYC trains take to get to Albany, Buffalo, or Montreal. There's a train about once an hour every single day of the week and it's a two-hour trip to NYC. And this accessibility has been a major economic boom. Even as far back as the '80s, when the whole region was suffering from loss of manufacturing jobs, Hudson at least had a thriving antiques district that attracted tourists and kept the city somewhat afloat. And in the past 10 years the city's exploded into becoming basically an exclave of Brooklyn. A 1,200 sq foot apartment on Warren St. in Hudson now costs about $3k/month.

2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Well, I'm not sure "rural" in New York's Hudson Valley is the same thing culturally and politically as "rural" in Nebraska or Alabama --or even Pennsylvania. 

P.S. Which I now see has been fully explained by Fez and others above. :)

5 minutes ago, Week said:

At least important to people that don't want to torture women -

I mean, who could have possibly seen this coming?? (Other than the many folks with more than two brain cells to rub together that predicted this outcome)

Week -- you make a solid point, and I'm confident that's a core reason why so many people, even those without a direct stake in a woman's reproductive birthright, support it. I'd agree, the negative effects (sepsis, death, et al.) of extinguishing the right to abort, was self-evident based on history and common sense.

Clearly, I'm against abortion (except in cases of retardation and rape / incest, etc.), but I admit the arguments in support of abortion invalidate my position (including the inherently disconneted nature of my stated exceptions) in its entirety. Moreover, I don't feel morally capable in judging anyone who resorts to its use.

In this case, given my emotionally-based position, and inability to argue against a rationally-based position, I'm compelled hold an unresolvable internal dilemma. Thus, the best option left to me is to neither support nor detract the issue.

41 minutes ago, Wade1865 said:

In this case, given my emotionally-based position, and inability to argue against a rationally-based position, I'm compelled hold an unresolvable internal dilemma. Thus, the best option left to me is to neither support nor detract the issue.

I am sensing a pattern here... I'd hazard to say that looking beyond one's own emotional opinions and hangups is a mature, necessary part of a functioning society. As opposed to the reactionary, emotional histrionics that we see from the GOP (and other parts of the political spectrum - though not the same raison d'être at the core of the current GOP).

Eta- "retardation", not the preferred nomenclature dude. Pretty wild for a, generally, anti-choice viewpoint to include a eugenics carve out but these are strange days.

13 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

When will Republicans openly start advocating taking the right to vote from non-Republicans?

I can see it now: Republicans point out that the US are a republic, not a state. Also, states rights or whatever. Most Dems will meekly protest, urge bipartisanship and praise their Republican friends across the aisle. The usual radical lefties insist on democracy. The MSM will both-sides the issue, while a NYT editorial is titled: Will the Aggressive One-Person-One-Vote stance hurt Biden? Dems will try to pass a voting ct, but Manchin doesn't know how he'd explain this to normal West Virginians. Sinema would be happy to vote for it, but only if corporations now are exempt from any kind of taxes.

A compromise will pass, now rural voters get 3 votes per person. Dems praise bipartisanship and common sense...

Archived