US Politics: We Don’t Need No Stinking Lawyers

Ser Scot A Ellison

3 hours ago, Ormond said:

most like pure grift t

Doubtless the romperdoodies have sold the romperdoody grift lists to other grifters!  Leave no grift unturned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Also you betcha the POTUS should apologize to the full out fascists for calling them 'semi-fascists.'  I don't recall who originally made that comment, but I am repeating it because reasons.

So human trash dumpster, AKA Curt Schilling, who had his $75 million loan from the State of R.I., trimmed to $2.5 million in bancruptcy proceedings.

Is now bitching about lazy, entitled, young, slackers getting stuloan forgiveness and being a burden on hard working trash dumpsters like himself.

Didja get all that?

5 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

So human trash dumpster, AKA Curt Schilling, who had his $75 million loan from the State of R.I., trimmed to $2.5 million in bancruptcy proceedings.

Is now bitching about lazy, entitled, young, slackers getting stuloan forgiveness and being a burden on hard working trash dumpsters like himself.

Didja get all that?

Did he take his name off the HoF ballot again? Someone truly worthy of the asshole clause.

3 hours ago, Mindwalker said:

Lindsey threatened "violence in the streets" on Fox, in case F-POTUS is prosecuted. I'm sure he'll be valiantly leading the pitchfork crowd.

Nice to see a life long fascist finally feel free to walk around in the sunlight. 

5 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Didja get all that?

Assume, then, he paid author RA Salvatore the money owed for writing for his studio

2 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Assume, then, he paid author RA Salvatore the money owed for writing for his studio

And all the rest of the employees he liked to call "family" until it was time to be honest about the state of the company.

8 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

These moms are knocking it out of the park... warning, a bit dark!

Mindwalker -- humor is subjective, of course; but that’s the best comedy I’ve seen in decades, rivaling Dave Chapelle. Throw in Beto’s colorful language, and Greg just might lose Texas.

It’s apparently working for John in his race against Mehmet.

Billions in ‘dark money’ is influencing US politics. We need disclosure law

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/aug/29/billions-in-dark-money-is-influencing-us-politics-we-need-disclosure-laws

This week, the Lever, ProPublica and the New York Times discovered the largest known political advocacy donation in American history. We exposed a reclusive billionaire’s secret transfer of $1.6bn to a political group controlled by the Republican operative Leonard Leo, who spearheaded the construction of a conservative supreme court supermajority to end abortion, block government regulations, stymie the fight against climate change and limit voting rights.

This anonymous donation – which flowed to a tax-exempt trust that was never disclosed in any public record or database – was probably completely legal.

Whether you support or abhor Leo’s crusade, we should be able to agree on one larger non-partisan principle: such enormous sums of money should not be able to influence elections, lawmakers, judicial nominations and public policy in secret. And we should not have to rely on a rare leak to learn basic campaign finance facts that should be freely available to anyone.

DOJ finds ‘limited’ items covered by attorney-client privilege at Mar-a-Lago:

The Department of Justice (DOJ) has completed an initial review of potentially privileged materials seized at Mar-a-Lago, the agency informed the court Monday, as former President Trump seeks to block the department from examining evidence collected at his home.

The acknowledgment that the government has already reviewed and set aside items that may be covered by attorney-client privilege could undermine an effort from Trump to stall the investigation. [...]

A functioning filter team could make it harder for Trump to argue a special master is necessary, and a judge in the case has already asked the former president’s legal team to expand on the legal reasoning in its initial filing requesting the court’s intervention.

Good to see the DOJ already did the legwork on this.

The Men Just Keep Talking
There is something happening with angry women voting on abortion. Male politicians don’t seem to have noticed.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2022/08/male-politicians-women-voters-abortion.html

.... Long after the time had passed for male GOP officials to stop, to just stop, pretending they know or understand anything about female anatomy, reproductive organs, medical emergencies and basic preventative health care, they have continued to talk. They have continued to talk and talk and talk even when the massive blowback after the Dobbs decision proved it was an error ...

.... It is surely the very textbook definition of “privilege” to find yourself unbothered by protests, polling numbers, and voter registration data. Justice Samuel Alito actually laughed in the face of outraged females who called out the bad history, bad economics, and bad medicine in his leaked draft opinion—their complaints were numerous and well-founded, yet he didn’t change a thing. Instead, he smugly told women that if they didn’t like the outcome in Dobbs, they could just “seek to affect the legislative process by influencing public opinion, lobbying legislators, voting, and running for office” and that “women are not without electoral or political power.” The court’s newest approval ratings suggest the same, though I don’t think Justice Alito likes that kind of political power very much at all. ....

4 hours ago, Wade1865 said:

Mindwalker -- humor is subjective, of course; but that’s the best comedy I’ve seen in decades, rivaling Dave Chapelle. Throw in Beto’s colorful language, and Greg just might lose Texas.

It’s apparently working for John in his race against Mehmet.

PA is a much bluer state than TX.  I don't think a few funny ads or "epic" moments calling hecklers ['motherfucker'] are going to drag Beto over the line.  Would be cool, but might be worth managing expectations.  

Beto's probably got a better chance of getting a spot in an At The Drive In reunion gig.  

15 minutes ago, Larry of the Lake said:

PA is a much bluer state than TX.  I don't think a few funny ads or "epic" moments calling hecklers ['motherfucker'] are going to drag Beto over the line.  Would be cool, but might be worth managing expectations.  

Beto's probably got a better chance of getting a spot in an At The Drive In reunion gig.  

Larry of the Lake -- yes, I'm confident you're right. Though, RCP avg reports Beto trails at less than 7 points. Another shooting massacre (unlikely, but..), on top of his appeal to younger people, could get him much closer, if not over.

Larry of the Lake -- also, I'll add, that the God Emperor's meme warriors had some effect in his election. Dunno, but I think it did. On the other hand, I recall the Yang Gang memes, though those were awful.

I am hoping that Beto can beat his 2018 performance (a 3 point loss).  That won't be easy, as the environment will not be as good as 2018 was.  Nonetheless, it is possible if he runs another good campaign since Texas is (very slowly) moving left. 

7 minutes ago, Wade1865 said:

Larry of the Lake -- also, I'll add, that the God Emperor's meme warriors had some effect in his election. Dunno, but I think it did. On the other hand, I recall the Yang Gang memes, though those were awful.

Right, this stuff is good for rallying your base or maybe depressing opp turnout, but it's not gonna change hearts and minds.  And it's not going to replace structural voter access problems.

The great Republican abortion backtrack has begun

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/08/29/republican-abortion-backtrack/

Do you want to know how frightened Republicans are by the sweeping turn abortion politics has taken since the Supreme Court overruled Roe v. Wade in late June? Just look at what their candidates in swing states and districts are doing.

It amounts to a collective assertion that, well, maybe they didn’t really mean what they said. [ :rofl: ] *

A number of Republicans in tough races seem to have hit upon the same strategy to put them on the right side of public opinion. ....

* Don't ever forget it: They say out loud every time what They mean!  They've said it thousands and thousands of times, that a woman's body and self is not her own, and if They decide she must die, so die she will.

Archived