US Politics: We Don’t Need No Stinking Lawyers

Ser Scot A Ellison

2 hours ago, Maithanet said:

I am hoping that Beto can beat his 2018 performance (a 3 point loss).  That won't be easy, as the environment will not be as good as 2018 was.

Yeah if Beto just simply matches his 2018 performance I'll consider that a win.

1 minute ago, Firebrand Jace said:

The most Democrat thing I've ever heard.

"If he manages to lose again that's a win!"

Says the most pessimistic poster on these threads who admonishes others for not being as pessimistic as her.

7 minutes ago, DMC said:

Says the most pessimistic poster on these threads who admonishes others for not being as pessimistic as her.

I agree with Jace this time - why is losing against a shitty candidate with major current problems something to celebrate as a win? Do you think it reasonable to count on another Dobbs, another electricity issue and another school shooting the next election?

Just now, KalVsWade said:

I agree with Jace this time - why is losing against a shitty candidate with major current problems something to celebrate as a win?

Because, as Maith mentioned and I clearly agreed with by quoting that portion, 2018 was a VERY favorable cycle for the Dems.  If Beto can replicate the same result - albeit granted against Abbott for governor instead of Cruz for Senator which is different - that's a good sign.

Also because, yes, I am pessimistic about the Dems' statewide chances in both Texas and Florida - especially in what should be an unfavorable cycle.  As a political junkie I don't know how any Democrat wouldn't be at this point.

On 8/23/2022 at 10:07 PM, Tywin et al. said:

4D checkers baby!

Look, he's clearly mentally ill and not getting any help. His sanity is almost completely gone. What else would you expect? I'm just waiting for him to blame aliens for something at this point.

I don't think he's mentally ill. He is a shit. You assume some sort of basic common values and knowledge that don't exist. He knows what he's doing and he is good at what he does. Do you think all his followers are mentally ill? There's been a core of such people in the US for a long long time. Do you think the large group who vote for Le Pen in France are all mentally ill? Or their leader? She is a shit too.

6 minutes ago, Castellan said:

I don't think he's mentally ill. He is a shit. You assume some sort of basic common values and knowledge that don't exist. He knows what he's doing and he is good at what he does. Do you think all his followers are mentally ill? There's been a core of such people in the US for a long long time. Do you think the large group who vote for Le Pen in France are all mentally ill? Or their leader? She is a shit too.

Let's start by not comparing Trump to Le Pen. The latter is awful, but she's not like Trump. He's existing in a state of mind that is completely delusional. He likely believes everything he says despite all the evidence running against it. That is the behavior of an individual who is mentally broken, and that's just one facet of the many aspects of his behavior that is highly suspect. 

And no, not all of his followers are, but a great many of them are displaying what seems to clearly be psychosis. Up is down, the sky is red and water feels like sand to them. Do you think people who say Trump has never told a lie are mentally fit?

34 minutes ago, DMC said:

It's clearly having an effect. You outlined a victory condition culminating in defeat. 

Politics is a game, but it ain't no sport. You don't get points for a valiant effort.

2 minutes ago, Firebrand Jace said:

It's clearly having an effect. You outlined a victory condition culminating in defeat. 

LOL, no.  I compared election performance based on cycles, which I've been doing since before I joined this forum.

6 minutes ago, Firebrand Jace said:

Politics is a game, but it ain't no sport. You don't get points for a valiant effort.

Beto getting close but not winning (which is a very tough road in Texas) can still be a win in that if he drives Democratic turnout enough it might be enough to get some downballot candidates across the finish line in tighter races who otherwise wouldn't. 

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

Let's start by not comparing Trump to Le Pen. The latter is awful, but she's not like Trump. He's existing in a state of mind that is completely delusional. He likely believes everything he says despite all the evidence running against it. That is the behavior of an individual who is mentally broken, and that's just one facet of the many aspects of his behavior that is highly suspect. 

And no, not all of his followers are, but a great many of them are displaying what seems to clearly be psychosis. Up is down, the sky is red and water feels like sand to them. Do you think people who say Trump has never told a lie are mentally fit?

I think you are overestimating the human race and in particular the American population. "Up is down, the sky is red and water feels like sand to them." - if those were their actual symptoms I'd send them to the doctor. Since you are talking metaphorically, I disagree. Prejudice, what some person next door said, what you saw on the internet, fear, spite, resentment, the enjoyment of being aggressive or thinking you are one of the few who knows the truth are how many people get ideas in their head.

I think showmen and attention-seeking celebrities and carnival barkers and confidence tricksters like Trump have their own peculiar skills and personalities and it doesn't mean they are nuts.

He may say COVID will just be a flu for most people to the public, but he said "am i going to die?" to his doctors and didn't turn down the excellent treatment denied to others. Didn't ask them to inject stuff into his blood either.

Will the court stenographer please read back the defendant's statement?

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Yeah if Beto just simply matches his 2018 performance I'll consider that a win.

'Beto 2018 performance'= disgraceful loss by a fuckwit loser

'Win'= Accomplishment of victory aims

Beto 2018 x Win = Victorious accomplishment of aim to achieve disgraceful loss by a fuckwit loser

I call it New Math

9 minutes ago, Firebrand Jace said:

Will the court stenographer please read back the defendant's statement?

'Beto 2018 performance'= disgraceful loss by a fuckwit loser

'Win'= Accomplishment of victory aims

Beto 2018 x Win = Victorious accomplishment of aim to achieve disgraceful loss by a fuckwit loser

I call it New Math

Pretty sorry attempt at trolling.

17 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I think Abbot is vunerable.  I think Beto can win.  I hope Abbot who said about Uvalde “it could have been worse” loses huge.

Hope is a poison.

12 minutes ago, Fez said:

Beto getting close but not winning (which is a very tough road in Texas) can still be a win in that if he drives Democratic turnout enough it might be enough to get some downballot candidates across the finish line in tighter races who otherwise wouldn't. 

Not to go FULL despair angel here, 'cause I'm actually a pretty upbeat character...

But what would be achieved? By what you describe? I don't even need to look at a map to know Democrats will never ever EVERNEVER take the Texas state house/senate/saloon that forms their state legislature.

3 minutes ago, Firebrand Jace said:

Hope is a poison.

Not to go FULL despair angel here, 'cause I'm actually a pretty upbeat character...

But what would be achieved? By what you describe? I don't even need to look at a map to know Democrats will never ever EVERNEVER take the Texas state house/senate/saloon that forms their state legislature.

Not talking about the Texas Legislature, talking about Congress.

Just now, Fez said:

Not talking about the Texas Legislature, talking about Congress.

Either way, last time I checked, more Democratic members in a legislature is better than less Democratic members.

25 minutes ago, Castellan said:

I think you are overestimating the human race and in particular the American population. "Up is down, the sky is red and water feels like sand to them." - if those were their actual symptoms I'd send them to the doctor. Since you are talking metaphorically, I disagree. Prejudice, what some person next door said, what you saw on the internet, fear, spite, resentment, the enjoyment of being aggressive or thinking you are one of the few who knows the truth are how many people get ideas in their head.

Then send them to the doctor. Seriously, have you not seen videos of Trump supporters saying the craziest shit a person could possibly say despite all the evidence suggesting otherwise?

I think showmen and attention-seeking celebrities and carnival barkers and confidence tricksters like Trump have their own peculiar skills and personalities and it doesn't mean they are nuts.

Sure, I've always said Trump is a great used car salesman. That however does not mean that he's not also mentally ill. 

Archived