US Politics: We Don’t Need No Stinking Lawyers

Ser Scot A Ellison

19 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Soooooo...no Special Master then, I guess...

Well, Cannon still has yet to rule.  But the DOJ's filing tonight is definitely the most detailed accounting of their case we've seen thus far.  Still haven't read it all, but they left the best for last - "Attachment F" - which is a picture of highly classified material strewn about.

6 hours ago, Zorral said:

So, instead of calling him delusional, deranged, insane, sociopathic, psychopathic, narcissistic, he should merely be called a pathological lying grifter, who lacks any empathy, moral or ethical sensibility.

The latter.

Not to mention that he lusts after his own daughter, and doesn’t even understand why people would consider that wrong.

So FPOTUS had some of the confidential documents in his office, too...

Also,

Trump team likely sought to conceal classified docs at Mar-a-Lago, DOJ tells judge

“The government also developed evidence that government records were likely concealed and removed from the Storage Room and that efforts were likely taken to obstruct the government’s investigation,” Justice Department counterintelligence chief Jay Bratt wrote.

“That the FBI, in a matter of hours, recovered twice as many documents with classification markings as the ‘diligent search’ that the former President’s counsel and other representatives had weeks to perform calls into serious question the representations made in the June 3 certification and casts doubt on the extent of cooperation in this matter,” he added....

Three classified documents were found in a “desk drawer,” prosecutors said, without providing further details.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/08/30/trump-justice-department-filing-warrant-00054319

ETA:

9 hours ago, DMC said:

Well, Cannon still has yet to rule.  But the DOJ's filing tonight is definitely the most detailed accounting of their case we've seen thus far.  Still haven't read it all, but they left the best for last - "Attachment F" - which is a picture of highly classified material strewn about.

Oh I realize that. I was being mildly snarky, as the DOJ filing, with pictures!, put the lie to anything Trump would want/need from a special master.  Seems pretty irrelevant now. But who knows... :dunno:

House Judiciary GOP

@JudiciaryGOP

That TIME Magazine cover was huge threat to national security.

Good grief, 45 framed that cover!    ha :rolleyes:   HA :lol:   HAHA :rofl:     HAW :lmao:

As a wise rabbit once said "What a maroon!"

The Majority Report just had the author of this piece on.

https://newrepublic.com/article/166767/christopher-dunn-missouri-murder-innocent

Basically, in some states, you can't get out of prison when your innocence is retroactively proven (unless you are on death row). That seems quite... insane.

You know those planning steps to counter what the opus dei white male xtian nationalist authoritarians are going to do when they retake the federal government -- or DON'T RETAKE THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT, or even All the local governments and institutions -- are not what one wishes to discuss in public, or even outside those who are part of the planning.  Unless, you know, stupidly arrogant. 

Which does keep one thinking that howling around in public on social media about hunting down FBI agents is a very stupid and arrogant thing to do.  It seems They aren't considering, you know, FBI, which has all sorts of means and weapons by which to go hunting and shoot first, just starting with information monitoring and analysis.

Trump weighs delaying 2024 decision as political and legal troubles grow

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/31/politics/trump-delaying-2024-decision/index.html

(CNN)Donald Trump is considering waiting until after the November midterms to launch a third presidential campaign as he navigates a widening array of legal troubles and mounting concerns that some of his hand-picked Senate candidates may be weaker than he once thought, sources familiar with his thinking tell CNN.

After months of eyeing Labor Day weekend as the target launch date for a 2024 campaign, Trump has spent the past few weeks backing away from that timeline following the FBI search of his Mar-a-Lago estate and an increased panic among Republicans that the party may not be in for the red wave it has long anticipated this November.

While his timeline could shift again between now and November, the onslaught of political and legal concerns has the former President feeling nervous about prematurely diving into the 2024 primary, according to nine former and current Trump aides and allies who requested anonymity to discuss internal matters.

7 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Which does keep one thinking that howling around in public on social media about hunting down FBI agents is a very stupid and arrogant thing to do.  It seems They aren't considering, you know, FBI, which has all sorts of means and weapons by which to go hunting and shoot first, just starting with information monitoring and analysis.

But they need those to fight antifa and delete their own communications... no wait, those were the other guys, right? Can't keep track anymore.

Plus, how else to recruit hunters if you don't "howl" publicly?

... antieef who again? Is that a computer role playing gamey-game or something? :leaving:

More seriously, and these shyte storms coming down already are as serious as serious is, we all should be learning from the Jan 6 investigations, and those (o so few) who have actually been indicted and tried and sentenced: most of their proof of self-aware of what they were doing and wanted to do guilt comes out of their own mouths and fingers on social media.

On no!  Why is Google so mean?

The app favored by many of Trump’s supporters still has not met the Google Play Store’s standards, including policies against incitement and physical threats of violence, the company told CNN on Tuesday.

“On August 19 we notified Truth Social of several violations of standard policies in their current app submission and reiterated that having effective systems for moderating user-generated content is a condition of our terms of service for any app to go live on Google Play,” the Google spokesperson told CNN. “Last week, Truth Social wrote back acknowledging our feedback and saying that they are working on addressing these issues.”

Why Trump-backed Truth Social still isn't available on Google's app store | CNN Business

This is a gifted WP article, very interesting. 

The photo of classified documents at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago resort, annotated 

The photo of classified documents at Mar-a-Lago, annotated - The Washington Post

edt: the link to the Rittenhouse photo shows the exact same carpet as the photo with the docs

1 hour ago, Mindwalker said:

The Majority Report just had the author of this piece on.

https://newrepublic.com/article/166767/christopher-dunn-missouri-murder-innocent

Basically, in some states, you can't get out of prison when your innocence is retroactively proven (unless you are on death row). That seems quite... insane.

This stuff is so depressing.  And now Biden wants to add another 100k cops to enforce shit like this.  We already have the world's largest prison population.  We're still locking people up for weed and a half the country is re-criminalizing abortion and miscarriage.  But hey, just throw more cops at it.  

11 minutes ago, Larry of the Lake said:

This stuff is so depressing.  And now Biden wants to add another 100k cops to enforce shit like this.  We already have the world's largest prison population.  We're still locking people up for weed and a half the country is re-criminalizing abortion and miscarriage.  But hey, just throw more cops at it.  

Larry of the Lake -- that, and the potential addition of tens of thousands more IRS agents, is something else! Really, how much more social and fiscal control does the government want? Maybe it really is time to disarm, dismount, and defund the police. And so long as we try it in certain Minnesota cities as a test case, I'd support it. The results might be surprising.

/sincere

3 minutes ago, Wade1865 said:

Larry of the Lake -- that, and the potential addition of tens of thousands more IRS agents, is something else! Really, how much more social and fiscal control does the government want? Maybe it really is time to disarm, dismount, and defund the police. And so long as we try it in certain Minnesota cities as a test case, I'd support it. The results might be surprising.

/sincere

The IRS thing I don't have an issue with if it targets the wealthy/large corporations.  Plus the IRS has been defunded, if they aren't going after the lower 99/100 of people who cares about rich people paying what they should.

But yeah defund and disarm the police and abolish prisons.  

I'm hoping this Biden plan is a way of cleaning some cop houses that are so corrupt and out of control there is no way to reform them, by replacing the force.  

I know, I know.

17 hours ago, ThinkerX said:

I posted a link to that article in the climate change thread.

In that thread, I pointed out past efforts on my part to calculate the increase in sea level from the melting Greenland Ice Sheet. The best-case result, assuming that the melt rate does not ever get any more severe than it is right now and occasionally drops to near zero, still resulted in ocean levels increasing by about 9 inches by the end of this century. (It also included Antarctic ice melt - the situation there is almost as bad). 

The best case, though, is almost certainly way optimistic. When I tried to allow for even a partial collapse of the Greenland Ice Sheet (erosion from below by rivers) ... well the worst case (not likely, but possible) was a five-foot increase in sea level by the end of the century. The most likely case was an increase of about a foot and a half by 2100.

Regardless, that is a LOT of US coastal real estate in serious jeopardy. I occasionally wonder - what happens with the likes of Miami or Galveston when even at low tide the streets have half a foot of sea water on them? Do the people stay or go? Try to build a seawall? What of the economic impact? How would the state governors (especially the R ones) handle these situations?

Thank you--while I agree with @Mudguardthat these models are extremely complex--if we've seen anything come true, it's that the scientific community's predictions on climate change impacts have been extremely conservative. I assume this study is similarly so--and that the worst case scenario could be far worse.

Either way, I guess we'll see if Ben Shapiro's retort to rising sea levels and property that will be impacted is true--he said, "you can sell your home in the worst case scenario." I guess to Aquaman's Atlanteans is what he meant.

4 hours ago, LongRider said:

This is a gifted WP article, very interesting. 

The photo of classified documents at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago resort, annotated 

The photo of classified documents at Mar-a-Lago, annotated - The Washington Post

edt: the link to the Rittenhouse photo shows the exact same carpet as the photo with the docs

It gets better:

Archived