Mental trivial inflation

BigFatCoward

So most people are getting screwed for big ticket items such as gas/electric, petrol and mortgage increases.

But what is something small that has made you stop in your tracks and go 'what the actual fuck'? 

There have been 2 that really stick out for me, a tub of margerine that used to be £2.50 now £4.50, and my favourite sausages going up from £4 to £6.

My local chippy also put their prices up by 35% overnight (I kind of get that one, their bils must be astronomical). 

14 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

Wait, you guys have mortgages that increase with inflation?

No. But the mortgage rate goes up to try and control inflation. I'm OK as I have a 10 year fix. But if you were just coming to the end of your mortgage period you are fucked. 

8 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

Wait, you guys have mortgages that increase with inflation?

Mortgage interest payments, not the total outstanding balance. The interest rate fluctuates unless you have a fixed rate, which is usually higher than the floating rate at the time you fix it, and you can only fix it for up to 5 years at a time.

1 minute ago, BigFatCoward said:

No. But the mortgage rate goes up to try and control inflation.

My financially-naive brain had forgotten this was a thing.
Here you can (and almost everyone does) choose a fixed rate for the entire loan, i.e. you know exactly how much you'll pay from the start (you get a repayment schedule from day 1), and if there's inflation it's the bank that gets fucked, not you.

11 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

My financially-naive brain had forgotten this was a thing.
Here you can (and almost everyone does) choose a fixed rate for the entire loan, i.e. you know exactly how much you'll pay from the start (you get a repayment schedule from day 1), and if there's inflation it's the bank that gets fucked, not you.

In the UK, the banks are always more important than mere human beings trying to have a life. 

Today I paid £3.65 to sit in a café and drink one coffee. 

I'm really dumb.

(In the recent past, it was £1.99. So I was still dumb, just not to the same extreme). 

To combat inflation I do try to shop wisely. For example tesco currently has 25% off wine if you buy 6 bottles (they do this every couple of months) you even get it off the wine that is already discounted.

So a bottle of wine that is normally £10 but is reduced to £8, only actually costs you £6. I normally buy 36 bottles (i also get a further 10% of with my loyalty card). It's practically free wine. 

Our regions Gas/Electric utility is jacking rates. I complained, they gave no phuks, they know they have a monopoly.

I just paid off my truck last month so that helps, but damn not even a breather month between and the utility spoiling my victory.

3 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

To combat inflation I do try to shop wisely. For example tesco currently has 25% off wine if you buy 6 bottles (they do this every couple of months) you even get it off the wine that is already discounted.

So a bottle of wine that is normally £10 but is reduced to £8, only actually costs you £6. I normally buy 36 bottles (i also get a further 10% of with my loyalty card). It's practically free wine. 

BigFatCoward -- hahaha! your humor always reminds me of Dolorous Edd (with deadpan voice).

15 hours ago, dog-days said:

Today I paid £3.65 to sit in a café and drink one coffee. 

I'm really dumb.

dog-days -- nah, you're not dumb; les cafés are my second homes. They're worth the 90% or so? markup in response to just a year or two's worth of inflation. On the other hand ... wow ... 90%.

:blink:

Seems like the price spikes in this area were first noticed during the pandemic when do-it-yourselfers and contractors were shocked with the $90 a sheet prices for plywood.

I put off insulating and sheeting the inside garage walls then. Also put off building some benches for my tools.

Ive become cautionary at most non essential spending till i see how ugly things may get.

At work things seem to be booming, weve expanded and are taking on more employees. I have this sinking feeling that most of the new hires will be right back out the door before the end of next year though.

I feel like theres a dose of denial and false optimism with some of our planners. Material costs and shortages are a real thing and can only be worked around so much.

^^^ Yes just checking the exchange rate and appears euro and dollar are exactly equal today. Therefore 10 Euros or dollars for  20 bottles would be pretty inexpensive here.

A 6 pack of Guiness Stout would run you around $10 in this area.

Theres some really crappy, watery, domestic, that tastes metallic, that i think they pay people to drink if they are into such punishment though?

Another thing ive cut back on is ive bought more pork cuts and a bit less beef steaks. Ive done that to try and maintain a grocery budget. Im finding the pork chops and pork steaks are still pretty tasty and only half the price of the beef cuts.

Favorite fish fry restaurant informed me their menu prices will be increasing. Perch, Walleye and Whitefish all more expensive from their suppliers. Fuel probably a factor to that i imagine.

The level of inflation really has been more annoyance than pain so far. What im concerned about is how bad will the heating season be for the Europeans this winter?

Theres been a few editorials hinting that the Putin problems are going to make for a price gouging winter? I hate that bastard and what hes causing.

3 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

What im concerned about is how bad will the heating season be for the Europeans this winter?

We basically stopped heating water except for a short period in the morning and evening. Also we lowered the water temperature. 

If you do this, watch out for legionella bacterias.

We had to change heating in our old house and luckily I decided against gas. That would have been painful.

Archived