Jump to content

Mental trivial inflation


Recommended Posts

On 8/30/2022 at 8:38 PM, Jaxom 1974 said:

Potato chips.  Seriously.  $5+ for at most a 14oz bag...?  Oof.

Its been awhile since I’ve bought canned tuna and it seems the cans have shrunk a bit.  
 

@Jaxom 1974
$5.00 for such a small reward sounds so American some how. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/30/2022 at 8:38 PM, Jaxom 1974 said:

Potato chips.  Seriously.  $5+ for at most a 14oz bag...?  Oof.

Sure- but a part of this is just brain-dead consumers.  Our local chain has them for $5 a bag, but if you buy 5 of them the price is $2/bag.  Yet, I see way more people buying single bags then stocking up. Overall, I am never ceased to be amazed about the poor economic choices of people at the grocery store.  Its like they were given a list of items that must be purchased, at any cost, regardless of substitutes, sales, or 'yellow tags.'  I was on another forum recently where folks were having fun denigrating people that purchase near-sale-date sale products as losers- my SO and I think its one of the best small-pleasures in life to find an item we are looking for at 50%-75% off- its like you won a little lottery!

Edit- I should note that folks in food-deserts are exempt from my scorn above, since they probably dont have access to the larger stores.

Edited by horangi
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi @horangi what works for me when this happens, refresh, go back to the reply field and click in. 
if you look at the bottom of the field there is a message at the bottom, in very pale letters, that offers a chance to clear the field. Click on ‘clear editor’ and the field will clear. 
Just look for the pale message and click. It’s all fixed. 
cheers,

LR

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/10/2022 at 8:36 PM, DireWolfSpirit said:

What used to cost 20% of a median income now costs 35%.

"It currently takes 35.51% of median income to make the monthly principal and interest payment on the median home with a 30-year mortgage and 20% down. That’s up marginally from the prior 35-year high back in June, when the payment-to-income ratio reached 35.49%, according to Andy Walden, vice president of enterprise research and strategy at Black Knight."

eta: The example-

A year ago, a buyer who put 20% down on a median priced $359,900 home and financed the rest with a mortgage rate of 2.86% -- which was the average at the time -- had a monthly payment of $1,192.

Today, a homeowner buying the median priced home, which is now $403,800, with a mortgage at the current average of 6.02%, would pay $1,941 a month in principal and interest. That's $749 more every month.

Ive edited in the example for how homebuyers would now need to foot an extra $750 or so monthly on a median property from what it wouldve been a year earlier.

The bow will break pretty swiftly from here. This doesnt even factor for the extra utilities cost, so lets just say the new monthly expense is an additional "cool thousand".

Not bad right, I mean wages increased 3-6% for most consumers so..........:stunned:

Edited by DireWolfSpirit
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/11/2022 at 4:03 AM, horangi said:

Sure- but a part of this is just brain-dead consumers.  Our local chain has them for $5 a bag, but if you buy 5 of them the price is $2/bag.  Yet, I see way more people buying single bags then stocking up. Overall, I am never ceased to be amazed about the poor economic choices of people at the grocery store.  Its like they were given a list of items that must be purchased, at any cost, regardless of substitutes, sales, or 'yellow tags.'  I was on another forum recently where folks were having fun denigrating people that purchase near-sale-date sale products as losers- my SO and I think its one of the best small-pleasures in life to find an item we are looking for at 50%-75% off- its like you won a little lottery!

Edit- I should note that folks in food-deserts are exempt from my scorn above, since they probably dont have access to the larger stores.

I was being flippant in my previous post re buying 36 bottles of wine to save money, but it speaks to a more important issue.

Many people are too poor to take advantage of multi purchase deals, don't have storage space or just simply don't understand basic maths well enough, they aren't 'brain dead'. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I was being flippant in my previous post re buying 36 bottles of wine to save money, but it speaks to a more important issue.

Many people are too poor to take advantage of multi purchase deals, don't have storage space or just simply don't understand basic maths well enough, they aren't 'brain dead'. 

That and if I buy 5 packets of crisps I'll eat 5 because I have no self control.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, lessthanluke said:

That and if I buy 5 packets of crisps I'll eat 5 because I have no self control.

Same, I make my wife store the crisps in the garage to reduce the temptation.

Edited by BigFatCoward
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I was being flippant in my previous post re buying 36 bottles of wine to save money, but it speaks to a more important issue.

Many people are too poor to take advantage of multi purchase deals, don't have storage space or just simply don't understand basic maths well enough, they aren't 'brain dead'. 

No doubt- the storage space particularly rings true from years living in a 300 sq/ft apartment.  There is a case though that there is a certain point when you are too poor not to take advantage of those kinds of deals, if you have access to them.  My S/O and I lived through GFC living off of 12/$10 cans of condensed soup and drug store packaged meats purchased with their rebate currencies.  Though I hate to think about the sodium content of our diet back then!  

That being said, the 'brain-dead' part mostly refers to the folks who, you can generally tell, aren't doing the math at all when they shop.  You can generally tell when someone is going through the mental calculations/weighing the purchase and alternatives vs those that are not putting any thought into it before complaining about the final price at the checkout lane. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Gas back to $4 a gallon here this week.

We have quietly slipped into recession by some measures.

"Latest GDP reading confirms the US economy shrank for two straight quarters"

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/29/business/us-gdp-q2-final/index.html

Eventually these pressures have to weigh down demand and prices. Its just a crapshoot to how much pain we have to endure. How good will the lower prices feel when your part of the mass layoffs?

I think its going to a particularly nasty winter economy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Six-pack, 12-oz plastic bottles, of Diet Coke went from $3.88 USD to $7.99! And that's just within the past 11 months (21DEC21-04OCT22)!! It must have been an error ... but it wasn't!!! Unacceptable (but I'll keep buying them)!!!! Because I get bad headaches if I don't drink them!!!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...